New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095885 times)

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Me too .it isn't safe conditions from what I seen 7 at the tape ice solid but ..rain pounding on top and drain flow under...you got to ask yourself..do you feel lucky today? ....well do you punk?..lol..my point is I know how fast ice can melt during these conditions on any lake certain lks are simply not worth the risk..especially with rain and three four days of thaw in this region

Better safe than sorry.... no fish is worth dying for, especially not a couple dinky crappie, perch and sunnies :)

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey, I wasn't breaking your peas beachwood, just that you post something derogatory as " putting something together" One like me would might have interpreted as putting something together as mayber finding out daily conditions.. otherwise we here have not a clue what else to make of that! maybe putting it together may be interpreted cutting work or playing hooky etc. . just what does 7 inches thick solid ice have to do with putting it together? I taped 7 inches but these are record breaking temperatures ..it hit 65 degrees here where i live today.. just make a little more sense before you submit a post"putting something together"  is great to put something together but that statement didn't make any sense. Again not trying to make fun or belittle you, just consider many here depend on reliable information not disinformation or other. be safe

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
So not to confuse any readers, it was safe yesterday , taped 7 inches and groups were out with be.icefished from noon into the dark when the pouring rain got me wet enough to sled in .. This early am I seen nobody on the resi  and after the warm pouring runoff easy to understand why. The thing is certain impoundment have definite reactions to these extreme climate changes..  streams obviously melt quicker than a solid still water frozen pond , every impoundment has different in flow out etc. So unless you know for sure  from experience. It is simply not worth risking as one stated for a few panfish.  I'm not happy about calling it quits today, might of wished to drive further north where i know was 10 inches thick and no heavy inflow or out flow current.. probably would have had a blast but, I am not that experienced with that pond, could be underground springs etc. too..,, bottom line is I take every precaution not risks when I experience crazy temp swings with heavy rains. be safe and don't believe everything here on ice shanty,, even the so called conditions forum,, it isn't reliable either.. for example I read today on new jersey budd lake thread a bunch of nonsense. I just wish folks here understand, try to keep it real or just read and not post,, peoples lives matters.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sure thing Dinky

Offline Gravity Pilot

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello all, new to the area. Is there a list of bait shops for southern Ny? I'm in the Gardiner/New paltz area. I tried a few searches but only came up with a few old posts, any current info.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
 Well I'm guessing that here in Dutchess, I will spend the weekend doing chores and not fishing.     Thank you Mother Nature.   
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anyone been on Superior the last day or so? Just wondering how the ice is holding up.
Thinking about riding up there Saturday, waste of time or not???

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anyone been on Superior the last day or so? Just wondering how the ice is holding up.
Thinking about riding up there Saturday, waste of time or not???

Superior should have held up, had 7"+ last weekend. Friday and Saturday night cold temps should lock things back up just in time for Sunday. Will report back if I decide to head out on Sunday.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best bait shop in southern Ulster northern orange will be the thruway Sporting Goods...Good folks ,locally owned and decent selection of quality bait, there is also arts over in napanoch small butown awesome mom and pop place..he specializes in taxidermy but has decent bait too....Oh how that reminds me I  have a monster trout that 45 minutes to land in the freezer for him to mount!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
To all who might not have seen the post..... Fallsburgh FD contest has been CANCELLED !!  See their website on Facebook for the announcement on 1/5.

Offline conservationist

• IceShanty Rookie
Best bait shop in southern Ulster northern orange will be the thruway Sporting Goods...Good folks ,locally owned and decent selection of quality bait, there is also arts over in napanoch small butown awesome mom and pop place..he specializes in taxidermy but has decent bait too....Oh how that reminds me I  have a monster trout that 45 minutes to land in the freezer for him to mount!
Are you thinking of 'Toms Taxidermy (and bait/tackle/ammo/guns)' in Napanoch?

I think they're good, too.

http://www.yellowpages.com/wawarsing-ny/mip/toms-taxidermy-479589419

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
IceBalls thank you for the information and link about cancellation of the Fallsburg Fire Dept. contest. I see moderator AdkRoy has posted about this contest being canceled in the New York Ice Fishing contest,derbies and tournaments thread. There also is info. up on the Monticello Fire Dept. Contest.
Dinks for your and others knowledge the highest numbered page of any thread here on Ice Shanty will contain the most recent posts. Also in the right hand corner of your computer screen where your site name and personal message info. is posted You find find a line that says new replies to your posts to use this feature put cursor arrow on this line and left click  a page listing your posts will appear with dates of latest replies. Sorry but I have no knowledge about the Phone or the other high -tech. cell phones.
Gravity Pilot welcome to the Mid Hudson River Valley section of south eastern NY. Here are a few bait shops names in Ulster county Gander Mountain in Kingston (Call to see if they still sell live bait fish when they remodeled the Gander Store in Middletown,NY. (Orange county) bait shop was removed. Also on route 32 north of Saugerties just past the Blue Stone bar and Grill is a place called Saugerties Outfitters. I will search through my fishing information collection and send you a personal message if I still have information on this shop.
 Here is the name of a book you and other may find useful  "Southern New York Fishing Directory " published yearly . below is contact info. if you can not find this book at area bait shops.

(Jack stewart Jr. Memorial Fund,Inc. 330 Overlook Drive Carmel,NY. 10712     phone (845)-277-3143

Hopefully we receive an extended period of colder weather ,be cautious if heading out over this Holiday weekend.
Steve

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yes Tom's not Arts...oops....Arts was that old hole in the wall in ellenville my dad and I would go to RIP Art

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I remember Art's in Ellenville from many years ago. Bought my deer rifle there way back in 1966 and still use it today. I graduated HS with Tom Carpenter of Tom's bait shop, good guy for sure.

Up near Monticello you can get bait at the farm and family on Rt. 17B about a mile past the Racino. Also in Liberty at the Agway. Coming from the Middletown area you have Tom's bait in Fair Oaks.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hello all, new to the area. Is there a list of bait shops for southern Ny? I'm in the Gardiner/New paltz area. I tried a few searches but only came up with a few old posts, any current info.

May want to call first ...list is not update

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=38435.0
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gravity Pilot

• IceShanty Rookie

Thanks for the info. Congrats on the trout!

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sports Nuts also carries live bait but they don't open till 9, I just called.
68 Rock Hill Dr, Rock Hill, NY 12775
Phone: (845) 794-2000

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody know how the edges are looking in Sullivan? Want to give it a shot this weekend.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anybody know how the edges are looking in Sullivan? Want to give it a shot this weekend.

Which lake? I am going to do a ride and some checking some time this morning.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'll chime in, Superior or Swinging Bridge?
Thanks Gamalot.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Superior if you don't mind. Thanks in advance.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
OK, Just got back, Friday 12 Noon.

Swinging Bridge is very iffy along the shore line and will require a plank from the public launch. One guy out on the ice at the point where the lake splits. No clue about ice thickness or if it is safe.

White lake by the public launch is fine but no one out on the ice so no idea if it is safe or not. Very cold today with the wind around 15 MPH.

Superior looks fine and there were a half dozen guys on the ice. The ramp going down to the launch is treacherous so go down at your and your vehicles risk.

Toronto from the public launch is a No Go unless you walk the shore past where the stream comes in and can get on down the line a ways.

I had 34 degrees at the lakes with a stiff wind blowing but 43 here at home now. If it gets real cold tonight it should be ok for the weekend at SB once you
jump the open water along the shore. I would bet a couple of the guys fishing Superior today are on the forum and they might have the thickness reports later but the shore line is locked up and passable. Bring your ice skates and cleats for the glare ice without a drop of snow anywhere.

Offline soulstream

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the flag pops, the b#$%t stops!!!
Unreal, so far this year is shaping up to be a carbon copy of last year herein Orange Cty . 4 cold days, then rain and warm temps/ wind. The 2 years prior were great with almost too much ice. I just got my fuel drill, and am dying to try it out with my auger. DANG!!! Might have to troop to Sullivan

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks Gamalot, Do you know if the access for Toronto on the dam side is still open?

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Gamalot, your're an asset to the board!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks Gamalot, Do you know if the access for Toronto on the dam side is still open?

I am unaware of that access point but if you provide directions to it I will check it on my next run. The one I went to is at the end of Moscoe Road and it is NG.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks again Gamalot. Really appreciate the help.

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks very much for the ice report.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I am unaware of that access point but if you provide directions to it I will check it on my next run. The one I went to is at the end of Moscoe Road and it is NG.

I think Pine Grove Rd off of 17B (near Dollar General) to Toronto Dam rd toTop Ridge Trl...I think these may be seasonal roads ..there was some discourse over the summer with people using it as a swimming hole..not certain if access is still blocked

http://www.recordonline.com/news/20160914/residents-press-bethel-board-on-toronto-reservoir-access

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20120318/NEWS/203180324

BETHEL - They milled about the parking lot of the hamlet of Smallwood post office around noon Saturday, drinking coffee, laughing and wondering whether the gray sky would turn blue.

By Leonard Sparks
BETHEL - They milled about the parking lot of the hamlet of Smallwood post office around noon Saturday, drinking coffee, laughing and wondering whether the gray sky would turn blue.

Within 30 minutes, a dozen Smallwood residents hopped into cars and drove two miles to continue the battle they have waged for a decade against Chapin Estates developer Steve Dubrovsky.

There, at the Pine Grove Road gate to Chapin, they renewed their demand to have a 3-foot stone wall erected at a mouth of an access road taken down.

The wall prevents cars from using the road to get to a federally required 15-car public recreation area and boat launch on the Toronto Reservoir.

Hamlet of Smallwood residents staged a protest Saturday, calling on Chapin Estates developer Steve Dubrovsky to remove a wall that blocks access to the Toronto Reservoir. Protesters, above, including Joe Rossiter, left, and Peter Conroy, jump the wall, demanding their right to use the road. Nino Nannarone, Jimmy Au, and Natalie Levin-Coohill, below, hold signs insisting that Dubrovsky tear down the wall.

But Costanzo and other Smallwood residents returned Saturday to find the wall still up. They gathered for a small protest, holding signs criticizing Dubrovsky as two Chapin-affiliated men watched and took pictures.

Supreme Court Judge Michael Melkonian granted Alliance an easement in a January, ordering the road open to the public.

Mary Ann Burke, who first discovered the wall, was there. So was Jimmy Au, who drove from his main residence in Brooklyn to join the protest. He talked of vacations in his Smallwood cabin.

"I miss the days when I would come up here, either with my family alone, just to have the solitude," said Au, 63 "To swim, to sit on a

"This is a public right, not a private privilege," said Smallwood resident Nino Costanzo. "We're saying to Dubrovsky, 'Tear down that wall.'"

Their protest came two months after a state Supreme Court judge ordered the stacked-stone wall removed. The ruling upheld a federal requirement calling for two public access points as part of the operating license for the reservoir's hydroelectric plant.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks Diehard! Since I refuse to subscribe to that rag of a newspaper I missed that story. I did know there was a battle over access but not where it was. I'll try that road on my next run and report back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.