New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095940 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Looking at the Accuweather15 day forecast for Rock Hill NY ...looks to be vey few days above freezing . ;D now if the wind cooperates all will be good. Small ponds should be good by Christmas... ::)
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline joechicago

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ...if it's frozen drill it.
Anyone fish long island lakes? Would like some tips on where's good.
God does not count in man's allotted span, the days spent fishing.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Joechicago these two members live on Long Island ,IceBalls and Redneck Fish Finder. If neither one of these gentlemen reply to your post use the personal/private message feature on this website to contact them with your question. If you are not familiar with this feature reply back to this thread and I will attempt to walk you through the process.
  Also please update your profile with your general location it helps out in answering your questions. I'm assuming you live in Chicago or used to and recently moved to South Eastern,NY. .
Sorry I can not give you lake names, I live by Newburgh,NY. /Orange County.
Steve

Offline NYICE84

• IceShanty Rookie
  • surfrat lookin for ice
Joechicago these two members live on Long Island ,IceBalls and Redneck Fish Finder. If neither one of these gentlemen reply to your post use the personal/private message feature on this website to contact them with your question. If you are not familiar with this feature reply back to this thread and I will attempt to walk you through the process.
  Also please update your profile with your general location it helps out in answering your questions. I'm assuming you live in Chicago or used to and recently moved to South Eastern,NY. .
Sorry I can not give you lake names, I live by Newburgh,NY. /Orange County.
Steve

I fish the island whenever it locks up, I'll shoot joe some tips
fishaholic

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
thank you for helping a fellow ice fishermen out NYICE84 .
Steve

Offline joechicago

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ...if it's frozen drill it.
Thanks guys. I'll start getting ready for adventure.
God does not count in man's allotted span, the days spent fishing.

Offline NYICE84

• IceShanty Rookie
  • surfrat lookin for ice
Thanks guys. I'll start getting ready for adventure.

I gotta good feeling my adventures are gonna start the week of christmas off the island  :tipup:
fishaholic

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Weather for the next two weeks for LI is not looking good, most days above freezing. Weather for Sullivan sure does look promising though  :)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Joechicago you are welcome happy to help a fellow I.S. member out . You will find most members here more then willing to try and help each other .

NYBasser my apologies forgot you also reside on Long Island or as it is commonly called by those in south eastern NY. "The Island"

I was out Saturday afternoon a few of the smaller bodies of water I passed were covered with a thin layer of ice. The forecasted snow should help cool any open waters if daytime high temperatures stay in the mid thirties small,shallower high elevation lakes in Sullivan county should be good by Christmas.
Steve

Offline NYICE84

• IceShanty Rookie
  • surfrat lookin for ice
Weather for the next two weeks for LI is not looking good, most days above freezing. Weather for Sullivan sure does look promising though  :)

praying we get lucky , always nice to be able to hit the ice 3 4 times a weeks vs once a week having to travel north or out of state, my spots in pa will be ready real soon!!!   :tipup:
fishaholic

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
In the last 30 years, I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I was able to fish here on LI.  My car AUTOMATICALLY heads upstate if I want to find ice I can walk on !!

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
3/4" yesterday early AM, gotta be +1" now!!

I'll head out soon and check; I'm going crazy...hoping this snow/rain tonight & tomorrow don't ruin it...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
3/4" yesterday early AM, gotta be +1" now!!

I'll head out soon and check; I'm going crazy...hoping this snow/rain tonight & tomorrow don't ruin it...

Thanks for the report ...that lake week temperature forecast should even things out should this expected snow foul things up ...think that lil pond might be good to go by the weekend maybe .   
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
I am getting ready to go do a per snowfall ice check. wearing my suit with picks, and bringing dry clothes for WHEN I get wet... lol

some call me crazy I call myself addicted...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline troutslayer97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Alex Serdiouk
Small pond in Delaware County had 1- 1 1/2 in. When I checked about 15 minutes ago.  Hopefully this snow/rain won't screw it up. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Drove upstate on the thruway from middletown to glens falls and all the small ponds are frozen over... won't be long if the temps hang around

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody have a ice report for Lake Superior.

Offline snakemansteve

• IceShanty Rookie
Morgan Lake in Dutchess County has an inch over most of the lake

Offline iceman99

• Team IceShanty Regular
does white pond freeze early? im dying to try my vex flx28

Offline NYICE84

• IceShanty Rookie
  • surfrat lookin for ice
In the last 30 years, I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I was able to fish here on LI.  My car AUTOMATICALLY heads upstate if I want to find ice I can walk on !!
[/quote
 you never know , i usually head north or west , but it is super awesome to be able to fish local , like i said before fingers crossed   out of the last 7 years I had 5 seasons on the island    :tipup:
fishaholic

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
Anybody have a ice report for Lake Superior.
not even worth checking there yet. I checked 2 smaller ponds that are only 5-6 foot deep at best and in 2 foot of water there was 1 1/2 of ice.

THERE IS NO SAFE ICE IN SULLIVAN COUNTY AS OF YET! on spot I checked is on top of the highest mountain where the temps are the coldest.

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Not ready yet but my lakes in Sullivan locked up with no open water.......hopefully temps stay good......

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
 I will be finishing up deer season before I even think of stepping on the ice, it is way too unreliable to trust. At least down here.  We will have a great season, just be patient.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
I went again on the 13th and did another ice check. hit 6 or 7 lakes all over Sullivan county. NO GOOD ICE TO BE FOUND ANYWHERE! mainly checked shallow waters but a few were 20+fow and all had the same conditions. ice is layered, 3/4-1 inch with 3/4-1 inch water on top and then 1 1/2 of snow ice. average water depth where I was able to look was 2 foot, crackin too bad to go out deeper....

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just dug a hole, only a bit more than two inches on my small Sullivan Co. Lake.    Sad that this cold spell has not made more but I have hopes (plans!) to fish early Saturday morning, bound to be considerably thicker by then.

I stopped at Tom's bait, he said no mousies this year due to drought, bummer!
Bought wax worms so I'd hate for them to go to waste Saturday...Fish on!

Bill

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Just dug a hole, only a bit more than two inches on my small Sullivan Co. Lake.    Sad that this cold spell has not made more but I have hopes (plans!) to fish early Saturday morning, bound to be considerably thicker by then.

Bought wax worms so I'd hate for them to go to waste Saturday...Fish on!

Bill

:thumbsup:  thanks for the heads up ..

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy

you can always buy them online

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
you can always buy them online

They aren't available in large quantities online either. You can only buy small amounts and they are significantly more expensive than normal.

If you know of a place that is selling them in bulk, please let us know!

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey guys any changes up in Sullivan co? Any ice reports yet on lake superior

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.