New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095905 times)

Offline serge99

• IceShanty Rookie
shellfish, you can get wax worms at petco or petsmart. cheaper than any bait shop.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Toms Bait
729 Prosperous Valley Rd, Middletown, NY 10940  (845) 733-4642

sports nuts
68 Rock Hill Dr, Rock Hill, NY 12775
Phone: (845) 794-2000

Petco

1 N Galleria Dr Ste 75, Middletown, NY 10941
Phone: (845) 692-9831

Pet Smart

88 Dunning Rd, Middletown, NY 10940
Phone: (845) 342-1261

Nearby
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Lineman0406

• IceShanty Rookie
Swinging bridge had good ice today, 6-8" everywhere I drilled. Stay safe everyone

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Call Tiorati Circle or Sterling Forest for ice conditions. I just called both, and no recording, so I doubt anything is open. Rockland Lake is on there list too.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Call Tiorati Circle or Sterling Forest for ice conditions. I just called both, and no recording, so I doubt anything is open. Rockland Lake is on there list too.

I spoke with both earlier today. Still open water in Harriman, and in Sterling only Laurel Meadow Pond North is open for ice fishing.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shellfish that accurate measurement was from the Huntington boat launch yesterday at dawn....pooley on Sullivan small water thread stated the same today.....big difference in depth between the bay over by the church than at the launch...I am sure it will all be safe by tomorrow ...
Not sure if thruway sporting goods is too far...they had plenty of bait 2 days ago

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie
The number to check lakes at Harriman is 845-429-8257 and Sterling Forest is 845-351-5907. They will both give you the same info.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
-11 deg here in Dutchess.  If you go out, BECAREFUL!  Im waiting till tomorrow
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
I am waiting till mon to get out....
images.jpeg

Offline Senka

• IceShanty Rookie
almost -30C chill factor :o. The fish will have to wait, at such temperature you have to wear full faced gear and it's just not worth the risks.

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie
I was out yesterday in Sullivan county and it was a bit brisk. Cover up that skin, the wind was brutal.

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone have any predictions on greenwood, if its still possible to have safe ice on it this winter?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Anyone have any predictions on greenwood, if its still possible to have safe ice on it this winter?

No.... it didn't even freeze to where there was a chance at safe ice at all this winter

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
almost -30C chill factor :o. The fish will have to wait, at such temperature you have to wear full faced gear and it's just not worth the risks.

I woulda been out there today with my shanty but I decided to change my break pads instead

Offline dwitte62

• Team IceShanty Regular
Drove by Round and Walton Lakes today. Forget it. Round is more than half wide open and Walton has many open spots all over.

Offline richmondfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey guys, complete newcomer to ice fishing here and coming from Staten Island, the most bottom tip of NYC.

Seeing how it has been very low temperatures this weekend, but for the next week it will go back up to 50s, should I assume that ice fishing is done for the season considering water freezes at 32F?

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey guys, complete newcomer to ice fishing here and coming from Staten Island, the most bottom tip of NYC.

Seeing how it has been very low temperatures this weekend, but for the next week it will go back up to 50s, should I assume that ice fishing is done for the season considering water freezes at 32F?

There will be safe ice if you travel up north for a couple days more.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Richmondfish welcome to the web site and SENY thread. If you post two more times you will be able to access the New York reports& conditions board ,the board has threads for Harriman-Sterling Forest State Parks (southern Orange County) and Sullivan County small waters. The season may not be over by the end of this week but getting access to the ice and the ice's condition maybe questionable on many lakes.  Given your location I would watch this thread and the reports& conditions board (once you have access).
  If you go back a few pages phone numbers are posted for different bait shops who may have reports on ice conditions you will also find a phone number to call for information on Harriman State park . The Harriman number should also be able to give you info. on Sterling Forest.
Definitely call before making a trip to Harriman or Sterling Forest I have seen the authority that runs both parks close lakes to fishing on short notice.
  I hope this is of some help to you. Keep asking questions folks here will try to help you to the best of our knowledge.
 Also remember any information you get from a bait shop is second hand in most cases since the people working there have limited to no time to actually fish or check lakes. Always test the ice with a spud and have safety equipment with you (hand spikes/throw rope).

Mr.Clean/Steve

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular

Clove lake have any ice? Hahahaha
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just wanted to thank everyone again for all the help and advice. Decided to fish a small pond in Westchester with the club and put many kids on their first fish through the ice. Catch consisted mainly of large bluegills, crappie, bass and a large golden shiner. Ice was 1 inch of white ice, and 3-4 inches of black ice, for a uniform 4-5 inches throughout. Also got to test out the Ice Helix 5. Worked amazing in clear water, could see the jig all the way down to 25 ft, where we fished. Main problem was that weeds showed up as bottom on the graph. Also, all fish were released safely, pics to follow.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Some photos of the club trip:

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
my gosh,, check out the thread with those n.Dakota eyes! ,,wish I could do that! lol.. man oh man! type in lures for walleye in search or scroll till you see them pics.. pretty lake too

we have perch like that here in ny just need to know where to go....

Comparison between male and female in March

The first 2 are about average size for me most of the time out we usually get about 5-10 each year like the big female in the last picture but most are in the 12-13" range

Also none of them if I remember correctly were caught jigging all came on tip-ups

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
i hope you mounted that 16 incher

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i hope you mounted that 16 incher

Nope that one actually went back it to spawn... waiting for a 17" or 18" to put on the wall I've seen one 18" perch in my life and its on someones wall lol

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
NYBasser

Good job ...looks like nice scenery to boot .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
NYBasser

Good job ...looks like nice scenery to boot .

Thanks

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
NYBasser looks like your group had a good outing,thanks for posting the photos of trip.

Loudmouth879 congratulations you have caught some impressive yellow perch over the years.

Steve

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
We took a drive to Walton lake on Sunday. There was open water towards the middle at the boat launch, we decided to try another spot (Round lake was really open).

Went to Sodom by the DEP boat launch, there were guys fishing there so we decided to give it a try on Monday. We got skunked.
There was a large section of black ice that we decided to keep off, looked like it just formed. From the road you could see a long line of black ice going across the Res.
We drilled our holes and had 5 1/2" of ice. Another fisherman came out and told us he was going to go across the Res, I told him not to cross the black ice. He went anyway and stopped at the black ice, drilled a hole and turned around; he told us the ice was 1 1/2" thick. Very scary, if there was snow, the black ice would not have been visible.

What a wacky winter we're having, be careful out there.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any predictions for ice in Sullivan this weekend? Trying to get one last outing in, but I'm thinking that the season is probably over.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Any predictions for ice in Sullivan this weekend? Trying to get one last outing in, but I'm thinking that the season is probably over.
saw a guy in the middle of the rain today out on a  White lake. the conservation club  will make a ruling on thurs about king of the ice contest. if nothing on here, that may a good place to check. The creeks swelled a bit so bodies of water with sizable creeks might have issues. other than that with a couple of cold days coming there should be a bit of fishable ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.