New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095821 times)

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
reserviors in putnam or dutchess too

Offline Lineman0406

• IceShanty Rookie
Was gonna try swb on sunday, not sure on the ice tho..... anyone been there lately?

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sodom in the morning. anybody got a good direction for some yellows? think this weather will slide them deep? or stay in the flats?
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Perch Assasin-Lineman0406  last I heard most of the lakes in Sullivan County were in rough shape with open water in spots and questionable shorelines . Try calling these places they may have some information on ice conditions.

Sport Nuts in Rock Hill,NY /Sullivan county 845-794-2000 ,Thruway Sporting Goods in Walden,NY/Orange  845-778-1400 and Ward's bait shop in the Town of Newburgh/Orange 845-518-4274 . Also NYDEC region 3 office in New Platz/Ulster 845- 256-3161

Also for everyone's information Highland lake near Eldred in Western Sullivan County is a private body of water. So unless you have permission from a property owner to use their land to access the ice/water there is no public access. There was a sportsmen's group contest scheduled for this Saturday at Highland lake the contest was cancelled because of open water on parts of the lake.

Steve

Offline Lineman0406

• IceShanty Rookie
Just left wards he wasn't sure about swinging bridge. Called thruway and he hadn't heard. Supposedly superior has good ice, I've never really fished it tho. Looks like I'll have to do some scouting. Thanks for the info perch assassin.

Offline Lineman0406

• IceShanty Rookie
Sorry meant thanks for the info steve

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I really want to get out, but I dont trust the ice at this point. 

Please be careful if you do out.

PM if you dont mind, and find safe ice and you dont want to advertise, I cant get out to scout due to work.....

Thanks

Kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Lineman0406

• IceShanty Rookie
Hence why I said never fished it tho. Granted i havent been ice fishing for 30 yrs or anything, but long enough to be at least halfway intelligent. If i lived or worked close enough to the waters i do fish and i actually had the time to check i wouldnt need to ask about ice conditions. Regarding cold, i don't care, it doesn't bother me. Enjoy the weekend

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
kb, i'm in no rush but i/M GUESSING swb after tonight will have solid enough along the shore, the shoreline can always be a big question on a daily because they can raise or drop the flow.. the regular lks like huntington/superior morningside sheldrake should be safe access. jmho..i will use a tape measure should i challenge the wind later tomorrow and reply here for everyone.

I should have been more specific, Im in Dutchess and Id like to stay local.

Sullivan is a long ride for me, but thanks.  Id love to get out someplace local.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
I am going to Sodom res. east branch tomorrow. the back side by the causeway . I am almost 100% positive its safe. seen guys there all week. even on those warm days. ill be in a black frabill refuge

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
I am going to Sodom res. east branch tomorrow. the back side by the causeway . I am almost 100% positive its safe. seen guys there all week. even on those warm days. ill be in a black frabill refuge

Good luck, and let us know how the ice is!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Lineman0406 happy to be of some assistance to you, I mentioned Ward's and Thruway thinking they may have information on Orange County ice conditions. I see you reside in Ulster County have you considered a trip to Chodikee Lake off of route 299 in the New Paltz area. I would think the region 3 DEC office should know about the ice conditions at this lake given how close it is their office.
 Just for your and others knowledge there is a steep hill at Lake Superior from the parking area to the lake not a problem getting your gear down to the lake. But can be a pain pulling everything back up the hill at the end of the day. It is a longer haul but you can go through the beach area to get to the ice.

To everyone going out this weekend be careful between the temperatures ,wind chill factor and uncertain ice conditions.
Steve

Offline Lineman0406

• IceShanty Rookie
I have fished chodikee a bit, seems like i spend all day trying to get away from the bass so i dont really go there much. I generally target perch & crappie, but will also chase pickerel, pike, and walleye, occasionally trout. 2 years lIving in northeast nebraska ruined my desire to fish for walleye around here, same goes with catfish! My coworker has fished superior quite a bit, not sure where he goes in from though. I'm not really lacking options of where to go, just haven't been on the ice locally in 2 weeks since last weekend was spent in the adirondacks and I generally work 6am-8pm during the week. I do appreciate your help, thank you. Stay safe all, see you on the ice

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Be abvised...lake Huntington had less than a consistent 3" as of yesterday am...boy was I bummed. ...looked sold but was sketchy...many places closer to 2"...careful if you go out this weekend. ..anyone have a solid opinion on swb locked and safe for Monday?

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
I ventured out yesterday (Friday) afternoon into the evening (thinking I better go out now while it is "warm" 15°F), I hit my local flats - 7-8 fow. Very surprised to only find 4 inches of ice, it was three earlier in the week. All the recently open water is hard, but likely too thin and deceiving...As always, sux dragging the sled, I love my quad...
Had decent luck, once again only on small jig with mousie or waxie, glow once sun was sinking. Caught many sunnies, also perch and crappie over a foot. Caught more crappie than usual on these flats, they aren't already heading into shallower water yet are they?
Perch still on flats makes me happy since this spot is the easiest for me.
Long weekend off from work but it looks like no fishing for me till Monday.  >:( Sad! Holes were freezing up fast last night, hate to think about how fast they will now!

I caught this guy below, golden shiner? did not measure it but about 9 inches. Fun when a fish is on 3 lb test and the fight is 'different'!

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yup, golden shiner. Was that you out on Swinging Bridge last night?

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Not me on Swing Br. I'm was on small private pond in Sully.

So I would think that catching a golden shiner would be a good thing?
They breed to make more bait fish?
Or was this one a release that grew up and is only competing for food with the 'natives'?
I put it back down the hole...

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bluesail....that is a complicated question. ..depends on lots of factors especially the existing food chain and how many top predators....and of course how many top predators are fished out.....2 local situations where I think we have a major embalance would be 1. loch sheldrake. ..tons of stunted perch and few top predators to keep their population in check therefore mostly stunted...2.lake Huntington used to troll there for.trout.and come across huge schools of bait fish that I was told by several people including fishery biologist that it was have a real in pact on fishery....think about native brookie waters...no bait fish allowed ...I used to put those  baistfish back down the hole.when I was done ...now I leave.them on the ice for the Eagles and.foxes to chomp on.....should have brought that shiner home and thrown in a goldfish tank and said to your wife happy Valentine's day I got you a rare gold plated fish!

Offline Senka

• IceShanty Rookie
Not exactly sure what they are, but caught one just like that few years ago at Loch Sheldrake in Sully.

Speaking of ICE, expecting 3-5 (hopefully closer to 5) inches on Monday on Long Island on some shallow lakes/ponds. After that it's all over again. Sully too windy/cold this weekend, don't want to fish from shanty all day.

I ventured out yesterday (Friday) afternoon into the evening (thinking I better go out now while it is "warm" 15°F), I hit my local flats - 7-8 fow. Very surprised to only find 4 inches of ice, it was three earlier in the week. All the recently open water is hard, but likely too thin and deceiving...As always, sux dragging the sled, I love my quad...
Had decent luck, once again only on small jig with mousie or waxie, glow once sun was sinking. Caught many sunnies, also perch and crappie over a foot. Caught more crappie than usual on these flats, they aren't already heading into shallower water yet are they?
Perch still on flats makes me happy since this spot is the easiest for me.
Long weekend off from work but it looks like no fishing for me till Monday.  >:( Sad! Holes were freezing up fast last night, hate to think about how fast they will now!

I caught this guy below, golden shiner? did not measure it but about 9 inches. Fun when a fish is on 3 lb test and the fight is 'different'!

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
My local hole drilling place went from nine to three during that thaw, and some areas even opened up, be careful!

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Not exactly sure what they are, but caught one just like that few years ago at Loch Sheldrake in Sully.

Speaking of ICE, expecting 3-5 (hopefully closer to 5) inches on Monday on Long Island on some shallow lakes/ponds. After that it's all over again. Sully too windy/cold this weekend, don't want to fish from shanty all day.

Hey Senka, I'm from the island too. You know if any of the lakes out by riverhead are locked up?

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey shellfish where is your buddy on swb? I hope up in the shallows or shelter bay ..
I can't imagine the main channel is safe given what found on Huntington which is a pit lake not moving water like swb...curios as to 2hat is drilling. ..

Offline Senka

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey Senka, I'm from the island too. You know if any of the lakes out by riverhead are locked up?

I'm in west suffolk, yesterday there was only 1-2in of ICE on local ponds, especially by the shore of the lakes. The lakes are locked up but are NOT safe yet. Riverhead shouldn't be much different. I'm planning to go middle island on Monday.

(never trust anyone ICE thickness wise, always use own judgement, drill few holes to measure ice depth *always*.)

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
just got back from Sodom. 8" solid ice with a nice crusty inch of snow on top to make for easy pulling of the smitty and traction. wind was howling. about a dozen guys fishing.

oh yeah how could I forget the two guys that thought my shack was directly on top of a honey hole and decided to circle me with their tip ups. usually would have bothered me but I didn't leave my shanty. forgot my headphones so I had to listen to the language of love. not French, the other dressing........ had my boots off and feet  up against the buddy heater.
got enough perch for 2 fish sandwiches. had marks on the flasher all morning. lots of lookers.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Quick question for anyone out there. What species of fish are in Laurel Meadow Pond North? Thanks

Offline KINGFISHER1977

• IceShanty Rookie
 fished sodom res. this morning between 7 am -10 am jigged up 3 small perch and one 10 inch crappie.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
tiny pannies and few pickerel i went there many moons ago..looks very small but try it maybe it will pan out

Thanks a lot!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
NyBasser I would not recommend Laurel Meadows Pond (north) for your group out small body of water. Two people could cover the length of pond with allowable limit of tipups. Also very shallow and weedy deepest water is at southern end possibly 8 feet. Shellfish is correct about the fish species in pond. Given the ponds size it is usually one of the few bodies of water open for ice fishing in Sterling Forest state park and sees heavy fishing pressure.
Steve

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
NyBasser I would not recommend Laurel Meadows Pond (north) for your group out small body of water. Two people could cover the length of pond with allowable limit of tipups. Also very shallow and weedy deepest water is at southern end possibly 8 feet. Shellfish is correct about the fish species in pond. Given the ponds size it is usually one of the few bodies of water open for ice fishing in Sterling Forest state park and sees heavy fishing pressure.
Steve

Thanks again for the reccomendation, but unfortunately it might be the only spot we have. My club advisers will only go to a lake that has been checked by a ranger/parks official. As of right now, Laurel Meadow Pond is the only one, unless other ponds in Sterling Forest or Wampus open up.

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody know if Rockland lake is open for ice fishing? How about the Harriman lakes? Any info on which bait shops carry shiners? Thank you!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.