New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095806 times)

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey loudmouth do you run the lx 7 in ice mode or open water  mode?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Hey loudmouth do you run the lx 7 in ice mode or open water  mode?

Mainly ice mode but have run it in both from time to time.... with open water mode i have to turn the sensitivity up more so I tend to stay in ice mode

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Boss,
Those are some nice fish. Congrats.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
BlueSail,Boss j nice looking fish gentlemen. Congratulations to both of you .

I receive an Email form my contact person with Monticello,NY. Fire Dept. . There is still open water by the fire department's property on Sackett Lake so they have decided to cancel this years contest.
 Hopefully we get a cold spell and the King of the Ice and Hurleyville Fire Dept. contests are held this year.
Steve

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
 I can honestly say that if it were not for a scheduled trip upstate, I would probably pack my icefishing gear away till next year. This has been an extremely disappointing and frustrating year 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
yes it has KB I am planning some fishing trips upstate as well ...next week I am going to 4Th lake buddy has a house there for snowmobile no snow said I can go & do some ice fishing...
images.jpeg

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This has been an extremely disappointing and frustrating year

Ehh idk about that... the times I got out I killed the crappies.... as far as ice goes yes it has....

On another note looks like we will be getting a snow storm on tuesday

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
I can honestly say that if it were not for a scheduled trip upstate, I would probably pack my icefishing gear away till next year. This has been an extremely disappointing and frustrating year
yes it has been short but I have been putting some nice slabs, big gills, jumbo perch, 1 smallmouth, 1 rainbow and even a few walleyes on the ice. the bite has been hot everywhere I have fished...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
I haven't left Long Island all winter, and it doesn't look like I'm going to get a single trip in at this point. I'm just going to plan for a really good season next year!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Cold returns on Monday ...hoping it re re re locks up my local waters again ...although I am not missing much of the last two season snow ..was some thicker ice and it was available all season .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline iceman99

• Team IceShanty Regular
did anyone try superior

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
I haven't left Long Island all winter, and it doesn't look like I'm going to get a single trip in at this point. I'm just going to plan for a really good season next year!

Some Long Island lakes are locked up with 6 inches of ice, but it will probably be gone by this weekend. If you're willing to travel upstate, some places an hour away have 7 inches of ice.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey KLuo-less, nice job giving up the guys location. I'm sure if he wanted everyone to know his spot he would of mentioned it himself.

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
Whoops, that's my bad...didn't realize he had made that post. Edited to fix it but I didn't think that place was a secret to begin with. I might be wrong though.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Whoops, that's my bad...didn't realize he had made that post. Edited to fix it but I didn't think that place was a secret to begin with. I might be wrong though.
went there the first day you could get on the ice last year,there before sunrise thinking I would be first. Was the third to show up, and four and five were right behind me. by noon there were a dozen. Not a secret, but better off not to advertise.

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
went there the first day you could get on the ice last year,there before sunrise thinking I would be first. Was the third to show up, and four and five were right behind me. by noon there were a dozen. Not a secret, but better off not to advertise.

Noted!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking to go out this weekend any reports on upper sullivan county? Huntington or Loch sheldrake?
Went to BP on Sunday, showed up late because finding bait was an issue.
There must have been a 100 people on BP! Lots of holes too 100 x 5-7 holes per person ...you do the math. Point being, did not see nor hear much action. I did ok with the LX-7 but fish were scarce to say the least.
5-6" of good ice, top was real wet by 5 pm.
For those interested and following Loudmouth's posts on the LX-7...it is an excellent machine. I have compared it side by side to many other fish finders and would arguably say it is superior...should be for the price!
the ability to customize and the sensitivity are amazing, running 3 screens at once give you a tremendous amount of info and accuracy. You can see your bait faintly o n the tip of your jig in 50-60 fow.
downsides cumbersome case and ergonomics, they did not even consider the convenience and compactness of the vexlars. I find it is a little cumbersome to hole hop compared to others main because it feels front heavy and the grips are not the best. Wish it fit in a 5 gallon bucket for transport.  wish it had a transducer float
i plan on building a small platform on the front of my sled for it to sit on securely while hole hoping so that it is higher and easier to adjust while giving it a firm base, top of a bucket is a little small for this monster.
Advice, save up your cabelas points and take the leap!
Any conditions updates would very much appreciated for upper Sullivan and Delaware counties.
be safe
one more thing...spoke to DEC at BP just to clarify...7 fishing devices of any combo and they are fine now with bells and flags on jigging rods.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
wish it had a transducer float

I actually like the arm way better than the float... 9 times out of 10 I have about a inch or less of the puck in the water.... makes it a heck of a lot easier to get the dang thing out of the way when I'm brining up fish after fish

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Loudmouth, thats fine if your fishing on 1/2" of ice.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Loudmouth, thats fine if your fishing on 1/2" of ice.

Been fishing on 6" - 7" and hasn't been an issue if you read the manual it says to only have it 1" in the water.... unless theres a foot of ice than it has to be lower obviously

Offline Senka

• IceShanty Rookie
Some Long Island lakes are locked up with 6 inches of ice, but it will probably be gone by this weekend. If you're willing to travel upstate, some places an hour away have 7 inches of ice.

Which lakes on the island had this much ice yesterday? In Smithtown all ponds I visited are open water, even those 3-4' deep. Now it's snowing and will be warming up tomorrow into upper 30s lower 40s. Last year was awesome for ice on Long Island, not looking good at all this year thus far.

Was out on Superior Lake in Sullivan last weekend. Very slow day, some pickerel, few smallish perch, and one or two sunnies. Very similar experience last year on this lake, not sure I want to go back there.

PS: to 4 guys that were dancing and rolling on ice by their fire, you were fun to watch!  ;)

PSS: PLEASE, guys with gas augers, put a muffler on that thing! You are scaring the fish, it is a known fact. It takes hours sometimes for fish to come back or for you to find it again. The noise shock waves scramble the fish throughout the lake (especially when it's only 20feet deep max), nobody benefits, ruins it for everyone. When you drill 500 yards away you could be heard as if you are drilling right next others! Please respect your fellow fishermen just a bit, thank you! :)

Offline fishyholes

• IceShanty Rookie
Which lakes on the island had this much ice yesterday? In Smithtown all ponds I visited are open water, even those 3-4' deep. Now it's snowing and will be warming up tomorrow into upper 30s lower 40s. Last year was awesome for ice on Long Island, not looking good at all this year thus far.

Was out on Superior Lake in Sullivan last weekend. Very slow day, some pickerel, few smallish perch, and one or two sunnies. Very similar experience last year on this lake, not sure I want to go back there.

PS: to 4 guys that were dancing and rolling on ice by their fire, you were fun to watch!  ;)

PSS: PLEASE, guys with gas augers, put a muffler on that thing! You are scaring the fish, it is a known fact. It takes hours sometimes for fish to come back or for you to find it again. The noise shock waves scramble the fish throughout the lake (especially when it's only 20feet deep max), nobody benefits, ruins it for everyone. When you drill 500 yards away you could be heard as if you are drilling right next others! Please respect your fellow fishermen just a bit, thank you! :)

I was out there also (not the guys with the gas auger) and saw those guys, quite entertaining.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gas augers suck! Hate the noise...that aught to get the blood flowing in some folks!....seriously it a nice quite hobby ...then brrrrrrpppprrpr..for a 6 inch hole! With that said I know lots of peole have had them and probably many passed on to the next generation but it's time to start the transition to the wonderful thing called lithium batteries. ..I hand drill everything,  even last winter with all that ice...no that is not realistic for everyone and when it comes time to get a mechanical auger I am getting a electric one with lithium battery. No noise,no gas spills,lighter and no maintenance in comparison. ..strong opinion but certainly not intended to offend anyone

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Loudmouth, Surprised the instructions said that. Narrow beam? But I would think it would have to be dead center in large hole not to have the beam effected by the ice walls, but will interfere with landing a fish. I like to have my transducer wire touching against the ice wall all the way down the hole and transducer just under the bottom of the ice. No chance interference and landing fish with it to the side works fine. Even in 4' hole. Maybe give it a try. Cant hurt.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Loudmouth, Surprised the instructions said that. Narrow beam? But I would think it would have to be dead center in large hole not to have the beam effected by the ice walls, but will interfere with landing a fish. I like to have my transducer wire touching against the ice wall all the way down the hole and transducer just under the bottom of the ice. No chance interference and landing fish with it to the side works fine. Even in 4' hole. Maybe give it a try. Cant hurt.

I know the whole float thing used to have a vex and had more fish get tangled in that transducer than with the marcum... never had an issue with the 8 degree or 20 degree cone angle... with the 20 degree cone angle sometimes it is a issue and I have to adjust it a bit but that depends on how thick the ice is....

Here's what the manual says
"We recommend setting your stopper to have the transducer down the least amount possible. The LX-7 puts out enough power that in most cases it is not necessary to have your transducer down more than a few inches below the water line to get a good reading. When the ice thickness is over two feet, it may be necessary to have your transducer set farther down. Remember--the less transducer cable you have out, the easier it is to pull it out of the water when bringing in a  sh, or to move to a new location."

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular

Someone posted that Hempstead had 6 inches a couple of days ago and the local pond I drilled had about 5 and 1/2. But, this was all before the warmspell so most of that is all gone by now.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
The LX7 will accurately shoot depth through ice...I usually have the transducer in the middle of the depth of the hole...roughly 3 inches submerged in 6 thick hole...I have noticed that the cord does wiggle  it's way deeper as you use it ..which is the reason for my comment about a float...might just put some sort of stop on the cord above the arm that does not comprise the cord.
Any news on conditions?  Thinking of Huntington. ..would love to get on SWB but can't imagine that being a good plan ...unless I get the boat out!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The LX7 will accurately shoot depth through ice...I usually have the transducer in the middle of the depth of the hole...roughly 3 inches submerged in 6 thick hole...I have noticed that the cord does wiggle  it's way deeper as you use it ..which is the reason for my comment about a float...might just put some sort of stop on the cord above the arm that does not comprise the cord.

I noticed that too.... as the day goes on and I hole hop the ducer gets lower and lower lol

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
I noticed that too.... as the day goes on and I hole hop the ducer gets lower and lower lol
same thing happens on my vex with a float and stopper
If you drill it, they will come...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.