New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096031 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hardwater Diehard thank you for posting links to information on Swan Lake Fire Dept. contest . Nice of the Fire Dept to finally update their Face Book page. If anyone decides to go to this contest I believe you can park by the tennis courts of former Stevensville resort on Briscoe Road. I assume you will also find registration and weigh-in booth at that location. When traveling on Route 55 from Liberty Briscoe Road is the first right after crossing over Swan Lake just past the Golden Swan motel and restaurant.
  Beachwoods 16 welcome to Ice Shanty, thanks for the info. on WhiteLake/Kauneonga Lake. I know once White Lake freezes over many people park along Route 17B and fish that side of the lake. Be careful the shoreline drops off quickly in that section of the lake. I'm talking about the section by Bethel Medical center and Bubba's Barbque .
Steve

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I haven't gone in from 17b in  25 years. I guess those lakeshore owners don't mind? I saw boats fishing that area late Dec. early Jan. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
The weather channel models are in cahoots... one says 8-12 for Saturday's storm the other says 18-24..... I hope they're wrong cause that would be terrible for the ice... They probably won't know for sure until Friday lol

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular

Finally got out for the first time. Only fished for half hour and got this guy. Ice was almost 4 inches clear black.

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Way to go...  Nice crappie.....   :thumbsup:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Finally got out for the first time. Only fished for half hour and got this guy. Ice was almost 4 inches clear black.

I think I know that place! (Sent ya a pm just to make sure  ;D) I might head there Friday to test out the new LX-7 since it will be at my doorstep tomorrow at some point

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Looks like they are still all over the map with when/where/how much snow ...would like 4 inches.. enough to ease the drag ...enough so no cleats ...and enough not to spook the fish .

interesting tool

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/winter_wx.shtml
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Richard10

• IceShanty Rookie
with $599 I think you have many choices without waiting. Lowrance Elite 7 Gold is $518 now, check its review on my blog.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Does anyone know if Sylvan Lake is locked up?

Offline pfd5623sg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dont eat the yellow snow... or ice... lmao
WHITE CAPS on the whole lake

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Sylvan is a deep lake and sometimes doesn't freeze.   I have doubts for it this year.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
Does anyone know if most shallower bodies of water in Orange County have safe ice or will have safe ice by this Friday? I currently reside in NYC but grew up around that area and have a few ponds in mind that I would like to try on Friday since I have the day off. Unfortunately, I will not be able to test them until I travel up there and I really hope I don't make the trip for nothing. Not looking for any spots in particular, just curious about overall ice thickness of shallower ponds in the area.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
with $599 I think you have many choices without waiting. Lowrance Elite 7 Gold is $518 now, check its review on my blog.

What are you talking about? Must be spamming....

Anyway FedEx guy dropped of the LX-7 today gonna take it out and play around with it in a little bit

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
Does anyone know if most shallower bodies of water in Orange County have safe ice or will have safe ice by this Friday? I currently reside in NYC but grew up around that area and have a few ponds in mind that I would like to try on Friday since I have the day off. Unfortunately, I will not be able to test them until I travel up there and I really hope I don't make the trip for nothing. Not looking for any spots in particular, just curious about overall ice thickness of shallower ponds in the area.

Thanks in advance!
I am not positive but a trustworthy friend was on a small pond in orange county towards the end of last week. he told me it was only 2 inches of ice.

you might find good ice but make sure you have picks and a change of clothes with you just incase you do go through. I went in on the 10th and if I wasn't ready I wouldn't be here today.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Does anyone know if most shallower bodies of water in Orange County have safe ice or will have safe ice by this Friday? .

Thanks in advance!

My local  which had 6 in last week now has 7 in ...thought it would be a lil more with those two days of bitter cold ...I would think only the shallowest of ponds in Orange county would have enough ice.. Quite a difference between Sullivan and Orange....be careful.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Does anyone know if most shallower bodies of water in Orange County

Thanks in advance!

The one pond( most of it is 8ft deep a few spots where it drops to 14feet) I plan on fishing friday had 4" of ice as of Tuesday and the other Private one i fish a lot (Max depth 10ft) had 5" on Monday.... looks like my first day out to try the new equipment will be tomorrow!

Offline kLuo

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the responses, I am going to check out a few shallow ponds tomorrow and will report back in with conditions. I will have ice picks and a floating Striker bib on me as safety precautions.

@Loudmouth - I will be testing a new flasher and new rods tomorrow too...can't wait.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
anybody have any pointers on where to find walter on east branch? pm me if the info is too hot for the post. might be some good info for you in return ..........
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline Tylerk

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi everyone,

brand new to the area as of the end of December, with no knowledge or connections to get started.. I know this is a long shot but looking to get a little bit of an idea on spots around dutchess, preferably the pawling area. not asking to give up any personal spots obviously just general public knowledge....I appreciate any info anyone can offer. Can't wait to get out and do some recon myself.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hi everyone,

brand new to the area as of the end of December, with no knowledge or connections to get started.. I know this is a long shot but looking to get a little bit of an idea on spots around dutchess, preferably the pawling area. not asking to give up any personal spots obviously just general public knowledge....I appreciate any info anyone can offer. Can't wait to get out and do some recon myself.

Welcome.... I don't tend to venture on that side of the river unless it's for work.... but here ya go

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31153.html

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
SULLIVAN cOUNTY........Heard from my buddy today up in Sullivan near Barryville.....his lake has 6 - 7 inches of ice and people have been fishing it for about a week.  You can be pretty sure that other local lakes will have about the same.

Be careful out there !!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Tylerk welcome to Ice Shanty and the New York community/board. Two lakes I know of in your part of Dutchess County are Whaley Lake and White Pond. Whaley is privately owned there is a marina on the lake where you maybe able to get access to the water/ice. White Pond straddles the Dutchess-Putnam county line and has a state access area. Here is some info. on a bait shop in Pawling that should be able to help you in your search.
    D's Sport & Tackle Shop  3144 Route 55 Pawling    phone (845)-855-1520     hours Mon.-Thurs. 3 PM- 7PM, Fri.Sat.Sun 6 AM-6PM.

Ice Balls thank you for the information on Ice thickness in the Barryville area . (western Sullivan County)

I'm still waiting for return phone calls from two people about contests in Sullivan County will call them again later today. Hopefully I reach these people and not their answering machines. If anyone is thinking of going to the Swan Lake Fire Dept. contest this coming Sunday Jan.24 Good luck at the contest. I also suggest calling the bait shop posted below or search Face Book for the Fire dept.'s page

Face Book -Swan Lake Hose CO.1                   bait shop located in Rock Hill,NY.   Sport Nuts    (845)- 794-2000

I'm sorry but not sure how to provide a link to Face Book page.     BE safe if you venture out today or this weekend.
Steve

Offline Whitecap82

• IceShanty Rookie
I fished a private lake last Sunday had 6 inches, was out this morning at 9 inches in northwest Orange County . Plenty of ice . tight Lines ..

Offline BruceT

• IceShanty Rookie
I checked the Ice on Silver Lake this morning 2.5 inched (maybe) not ready for me to venture out on it.    I think we need another week of cold to get us out on the ice in Dutchess.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I checked the Ice on Silver Lake this morning 2.5 inched (maybe) not ready for me to venture out on it.    I think we need another week of cold to get us out on the ice in Dutchess.

I fished a private lake last Sunday had 6 inches, was out this morning at 9 inches in northwest Orange County . Plenty of ice . tight Lines ..

You should add your locations to your profile ...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

If anyone is thinking of going to the Swan Lake Fire Dept. contest this coming Sunday Jan.24 Good luck at the contest. I also suggest calling the bait shop posted below or search Face Book for the Fire dept.'s page

Face Book -Swan Lake Hose CO.1                   bait shop located in Rock Hill,NY.   Sport Nuts    (845)- 794-2000

I'm sorry but not sure how to provide a link to Face Book page.     BE safe if you venture out today or this weekend.
Steve

https://www.facebook.com/Swan-Lake-Hose-Co-1-658018180944474/

Don't forget
 Tom's Bait
 729 Prosperous Valley Rd
Middletown, NY 10940

845-733-4642

Offline Lineman0406

• IceShanty Rookie
Checked the ice last night just above the orange county line, about 5". Hopefully the snow stays south!!! Stay safe everyone

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I could use 4 inches ...to assist the drag down hill and dale so not to damage equipment n sleds.

Offline serge99

• IceShanty Rookie
Four Corners Pond in Sterling Forest is open now!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.