New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095781 times)

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Who does manage Tilson Lake Rather B? I was curious about that lake after a friend told me he drives by it alot but never sees anyone fishing it.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
The one and only paranoid palisades park commission!  I guy I work with has deeded lake rights and was chased off the lake by a patrolling palisades police officer. ..he respectfully asked why? Answer : " we don't have enough man power to patrol this lake to see who is on it and we are not quite sure how to manage the lake yet!".....no swimming or boats unless you pay for a permit. ..somehow that makes it ok....go to any other part of this beautiful state and you don't have to put up with that nonsense. ...their management can't bother to have a different policy for a remote body of water that isn't going to be visited by their lovely nyc clientele is narrow minded and ridiculous. ....it is too bad that lake could be promising

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
round and walton have been talked about a number of times all season

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Because THEY can't patrol or manage it, YOU can't go there. Hmmmm. Is someone having control issues???  Just saying.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
NEW REGS APRIL 1 2015

http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/bulletins/f77fe6

•Streamlining what devices may be used for ice fishing by modifying the statewide regulation to allow for a total of seven devices that may be used to fish through the ice; as well as allow for a total of 15 devices that many be used to fish through the ice at Lake Champlain.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Im going out in the AM. 

Be good, or be good at it! 

Good luck, its probably the last or next to last weekend...

Tight Lines, keep in touch.  If you want to hook up in the softwater season, PM me.

I'll still check in, but you'll never know,

Kb

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
KB....gotta work tomorrow but let me know how the conditions are ...hoping to get out Sunday.....thx and hope you catch a load of fish tomorrow!!!!.....JK

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
that's old news hardwater

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
stopped walton late this afternoon. ..2 tip up fishermen. ...no luck. ..spent the afternoon using  some old holes with the fish finder to see where the guys where hiding. ..most were pretty deep and hugging the bottom. ..no takers with any application....good news ...plenty of good ice 14-18 " and at least half of that was still very clear and solid. ...hope tomorrow's rain does ruin it...good luck tomorrow if anyone goes out

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion

went back out this evening. i am thinking i must have caught the whole school where i usually fish. i didnt mark a single thing there. it was getting late in the day and i started searching other spots on the lake. i lil after dark i started to get into good perch and some smaller gills. ended up keeping 6 jumbo perch and 1 crappie. as for ice conditions, well at this time you NEED spikes! still 18"+ of ice and of that only the top 4 is white ice. everything below that is the solid clear ice. we got some time left to get out up here in sullivan county.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
How was the shoreline boss?  Gonna need a plank soon?

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
where i went it was good but with the rain it would be a good idea to bring a plank just in case...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Was out yesterday ...some of the best conditions all season ...the day before was quite wet with layers of hard pack/crust ice /water/solid ice  ...that snow is gone and easy walking mostly all ice(thanks to the cold over night temps ) ...some spots I broke through but not bad ...17 -18 inches of ice ...Kahtoolas rock for sure ...between my buddy and I ,managed 6 keeper crappie and two gills between tip downs and jigging  ...lots of sunfish jigging which kept us out till 8:30 PM or so . Quarter inch of rain expected ...but with temps not to hot and the expected wind should be OK for tomorrow ...mid week looks like temps drop down to the teens  for the overnights . Good Times
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Might venture to swb tomorrow for last day of walleye. ..has anyone tried to left of access?  I am thinking of around the corner through the narrow deep  channel. ...there is some nice structure on both banks right after the narrows....yes I know a little bit of a hike thats fine and I am aware of the.portal on the opposite shore...just curious if anyone ventured around the left.side for the elusive walleye?  Might a good spot to get of the wind that we are anticipating for tomorrow.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
last time i was at swinging bridge to the left of the boatlaunch had steam coming off what seemed to be open water. if you head that way be careful!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I think my season is over.... leaving for a snow goose hunt tuesday and going upstate the weekend after to visit college buddies.... time to put the stuff away till next year

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Sorry, I have to show this one off.  I got it just by luck, but WOW.  A nice one (for me):

I took a BIG crappie on the ice, and Im damn proud of it!!

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
great fish kb congrats

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks.  Surprised the heck out of me.  I was fishing for Perch, and ended up catching the 3 Crappie off the same TU.  Weird.  Different fish, different habits....  It wasn't where I usually catch Crappie. 

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
nice fish kb...  I fished sodus bay this saturday for the last weekend of pike season , no pike for me , I catch 13 keeper perch ..  :icefish: a nice little get away... :) :)
images.jpeg

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Its always good to get away

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice fish KB !
We got some decent yellows and one crappie about 13" along with a bunch of dink yellows.
Couldn't get into the whites though.
If we get the cool nights they are talking about we might get another weekend or even two!
Had 2"-3" of semi slushy another 2"-3" of white ice and a full 16" of solid black ice on the private lake we fished today!
Shoreline only a little slushy for a half step!
Drove past Bog Brook and Sodom and though I saw nobody fishing,both looked like a short hop on the shoreline,probably not enough to warrant a plank yet!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
KB... nice Crappie.... I have his twin brother hanging on my wall..... they make a beautiful mount in that size!!

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice one KB !!!!!!

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Might venture to swb tomorrow for last day of walleye. ..has anyone tried to left of access?  I am thinking of around the corner through the narrow deep  channel. ...there is some nice structure on both banks right after the narrows....yes I know a little bit of a hike thats fine and I am aware of the.portal on the opposite shore...just curious if anyone ventured around the left.side for the elusive walleye?  Might a good spot to get of the wind that we are anticipating for tomorrow.

How'd it go, man? Any luck?

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
KB that's a beauty of a crappie and nice overall haul. Congrats to you!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
NICE CRAPPIE KB!!!   just wondering did you ever get a chance to use my spoons?

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
OK locals, I want to get out Thursday morning @Greewood lake by the gazebo. Help me out. Willing to walk the plank.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Today's observations.
Sodom- 4-6 feet of edge opened. No fishermen
Bog Brook- same
LakeCarmel- 1-2 feet opened on edge no fishermen.
Gleneida-edge still looks good. One fisherman.
West Branch- edge fair. One fisherman by dirt rd on SW end and several groups over toward causway(looking from Rt6)
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline IceFlier

• IceShanty Rookie
I have the Aqua Vu Micro 5w/DVR ....yesterday in about 13 feet of water with two foot of hard pack and ice and the sun was bright ..no clouds could see quite well

(Image removed from quote.)

on other outings there was less visibility ...but there was no sun and a lot of snow atop the ice  ...

Yesterday instead of mounting it atop my Vexilar ...I clamped it to the Hoop pole via the GoPro Jaws grip/mount ..positioned the camera at my dead stick and jigged another hole with my Vexilar ..kinda like that set up .
I use the aqua-vu in my fish trap.   I use a GorillaPod camera mount which has 3 legs you can twist in any direction.   This allows you to secure the camera any place in a few seconds, quickly remove it, and also allows it to be free standing.  Free standing though is a bad idea because Murphy will see that it gets knocked over on the ice and breaks the display.

This gorillapod screws into the back of the display.   I first used it on the Vexilar handle of the Genz pack, but I found I liked it better on one of the poles of the Clam.   Problem was the display could slide on the aluminum pole.   So I went to Walmart and got a rubber tape for tennis racket grips.  Wrapped the pole with the grip and secured ends with duct tape and it works Great!     

Also, there is a video on Youtube of a guy using an upside down bucket over a hole in the ice to control the camera.   I can't find the video for this post so here is the method:

1) Cut a 3 inch hole in the bottom of the bucket to feed the camera and line through (no sharp edges to damage the camera cable, so I used a lighter to melt the rough spots and then duct taped the edges,
2) a foam ball (or block of foam works)  with a slice into the middle to secure the line at the depth,
3) feed the line to proper depth.   slide cable into center of the ball, and set on top of bucket over the hole
4) foam ball can be turned to control camera view (to find your jig).   

I use this method and it works great.   The upside down bucket makes a great platform for the camera controller within arms reach.    You can rotate the camera in a complete circle and easily adjust the depth.   The camera is stable and easily adjustable.   A didn't try a small weight yet, but I believe it would make the camera even more stable.

Good luck.   Find the video if you can.  The simple stuff is sometimes the most brilliant.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.