New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095935 times)

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
tends to be slow fishing pretty deep in the middle some weeds a few crappie here and there trout some times to 10 pounds i dont fish it much just because its a slow bite

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm figuring if it's slow it will be easier to leave to come home and watch the race this afternoon!
Need a change of view over where I have been fishing every weekend!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
I spent yesterday fishing in a local contest - about 50 adults and 20 kids.
Pretty brutal first thing in the AM, and the wind picked up a bit later to increase the pleasure.
I chose to fish shallower area close to home, always some nice pickerel and perch on the weed beds.

Caught quite a few not quite big enough to enter in the contest pickerel - the winning fish was +25"/+5 lbs and then a bunch of ~20 inchers.
I hit on the perch jigging, Vexilar's rule! Ended up with six nice ones; six biggest ones caught in the whole contest!  Biggest was 15 1/2 inches, forget the weight but her belly was full and the eggs I pulled out of her while filleting were bigger than a misshapen baseball. Won a $40 Cabela's card, minnow bucket with aerator and a beautiful fillet knife.
Fun day.

Missed seeing hardwater diehard, the winning crappie were not too big! (11 inches I think)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Didn't go BlueSail ...had my fill of the sloppy mess out there during a mid week outing last week ...with this mild thaw today and a freeze up the conditions should be much better ..tough traveling through that 12 plus inches of snow. the fishing has been real slow . Glad your Vex is serving you well.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline conservationist

• IceShanty Rookie
Fished West Point yesterday. Expected slushy conditions, but was very pleasantly surprised to find 12" black ice, 5" white ice, and 1" snow. Fishing was slow. Caught 3-4 bluegills in 15' adjacent to a steep drop-off. Nothing biting at my go-to spots in 20-25'. Called it a day a little early due to worries about road conditions.
Jigging has been quite slow for this primitive non-electronic fisherman [homo vexilaris tu expensivicus].

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
Any tips on Sylvan Lake?
Been living within 40 minutes of it all my life but never fished it!
Saw some guys out there yesterday driving past and thought I might try it out today after I blow the driveway off.
Large bait?
Mediums?
Thoughts on depths for setting tip ups?

sylvan blows for ice fishing.  Do not expect alot of action.  If you get 3 or 4 flags in 6 hrs thats alot.  Stagger them below the ice. 5 ft 10 ft 15 ft 20 ft.  Try larges and meds

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Never made it,got done snow blowing and found several more honey do projects to get done.
Probably would have been a good day weather wise to be out there,but the race starts at1:00 so I was going to make it an early day anyway!
Maybe next week!
I'll just jig between flags if it's slow!
A few crappies or perch certainly won't hurt my feelings!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
bite was slow all morning so i am a race fan the rest of the day

Offline Capt.morgan

• IceShanty Rookie
Sylvan is tough for ice fishing but a lot of fun the rest of the year. Nice bass , pickerel and there are some really nice trout in there if your lucky!

Offline kramer

• IceShanty Rookie
anybody know if there are anymore contests around or was sackett lake the last one

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished the Island yesterday for about 4 hours. Ended up with 3 pickerel, (lost 3) and 5 big sunnies.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Any tips on Sylvan Lake?
Been living within 40 minutes of it all my life but never fished it!
Saw some guys out there yesterday driving past and thought I might try it out today after I blow the driveway off.
Large bait?
Mediums?
Thoughts on depths for setting tip ups?

Had a Summer home at Sylvan Lake for 23 years and spent a lot of time fishing and SCUBA diving there.
From the small public access parking lot/ramp:  Go straight out towards the middle of the lake and stop about 75 to 100 yards off the ramp.  Use Medium shiners....lay out tip ups in a line towards the middle of the lake.  Good shot at Trout - Pickerel here.

Leaving the ramp, turn right towards the opposite shore and stop about 100 to 150 yards off that shore:  Large Bass, Pickerel, Panfish here....try jigging, use Small to Med.. shiners on tips.

If the lake is totally frozen, the middle is over 90 feet deep.  There are "rumours" of huge Trout in this area (I have never seen one) but you can try Large shiners and stagger your tips from just under the ice down to whatever depth you are comfortable with....You Never Know ???

I fish Sylvan at least once every year.... have done well some years....not so hot other years.

IceBalls

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Just re-organized my jigs again this year and labeled the boxes so I'm not pulling out each box to find what I want

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I want to try West Branch on Wednesday if the wind stays down. Where will I find the easiest access that won't be a heart attack dragging my sled out? Going for trout if I can find them.

Gamalot
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I want to try West Branch on Wednesday if the wind stays down. Where will I find the easiest access that won't be a heart attack dragging my sled out? Going for trout if I can find them.

Gamalot

If that's like the rest of the lake I've been on it shouldn't be an issue dragging everything was pretty hard packed and what spots there were were only a inch deep of snow if that...... People who fish the reservoirs would have a better idea

Also looks like our "Thaw" will begin on the 28th

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If that's like the rest of the lake I've been on it shouldn't be an issue dragging everything was pretty hard packed and what spots there were were only a inch deep of snow if that...... People who fish the reservoirs would have a better idea

Also looks like our "Thaw" will begin on the 28th

Thanks LM, guess I was looking more for the best place to park and drag from. Never been there before and just want to get out down there. I live right near Swinging Bridge so it will be a good hike for me.

Gamalot

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks LM, guess I was looking more for the best place to park and drag from. Never been there before and just want to get out down there. I live right near Swinging Bridge so it will be a good hike for me.

Gamalot

I'd go to SWB but thats just me.... I'm sure someone here will give you some info

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'd go to SWB but thats just me.... I'm sure someone here will give you some info

I have no idea where to get on SB since they chain the launch area.

G

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have no idea where to get on SB since they chain the launch area.

G

A couple weeks ago it was still open from a report on here

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A couple weeks ago it was still open from a report on here

I'll check that tomorrow. In the last few years they have always locked it up as soon as the snow flies.

G

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Gary...have you spoken to Corey about West Branch??  One of his favorite spots !!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gary...have you spoken to Corey about West Branch??  One of his favorite spots !!

Yes Rodger, Lots of good info on all the lakes, Thank you both. I'm just trying to find the easiest access point now if I go by myself.

Gamalot

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I'll check that tomorrow. In the last few years they have always locked it up as soon as the snow flies.

G

Let me know if its locked or if it isn't plowed ...the DEC via Email assured me that it would be unlocked and plowed this season ...if either is the case I will Email them and advise them. 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Fish_Pete

• IceShanty Rookie

Gamalot

One place  I see people fishing there is in the area of the route 301 causeway that crosses the reservoir.  On the west side of the causeway is Gypsy Trail Rd (Cty rt 41).  After you turn onto this road there is parking immediately on your right.    It is DEP boat ramp, but there is enough room for a few cars to park without blocking the gate.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
One place  I see people fishing there is in the area of the route 301 causeway that crosses the reservoir.  On the west side of the causeway is Gypsy Trail Rd (Cty rt 41).  After you turn onto this road there is parking immediately on your right.    It is DEP boat ramp, but there is enough room for a few cars to park without blocking the gate.

Will report on the SB gate tonight Hardwater Diehard.

Thanks Pete, I saw the causeway on the map and thought it might be a spot. Just don't want to have to climb a mountain with a bum knee and dragging a pop up and all the gear.

Gary

Offline peterk814

• IceShanty Rookie
Smoked em on Saturday and Sunday in putnam county.  All the yellow, white perch, LMBs, and crappies.  Lock and load all day both days.

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
. 10# brown from West Branch saturday morn on a tip up almost 40 min to land him

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
Mr. Assassin. .that is a monster! Well done,son!
It is what it is....

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nice Brown

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
That is a beauty of a trout,  congrats.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum