New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095822 times)

Offline Lightsimage

• IceShanty Rookie
Good Evening everyone just wanted to inform all of you that due to a sudden unexpected event in my life I will not be able to attended this Saturday's gathering at the Hurleyville Fire Dept. Contest. My Mother Passed away earlier today. All those needing information on this contest please see the SENY Gathering Suggestion thread or go the Contest thread started by AdkRoy. (found stickied near top of NY.General community page) Have a safe and great weekend everyone.

Mr.Clean/Steve
Steve,
The toughest loss is that of a loved one. Hang in there.
My condolences,
John

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ask a dec officer why our lovely immigrants . Documented or otherwise.don't get fined? That should cause a stir......so frustrating  >:(

Where did this come from? Are you referring to someone else's post from a while back? I couldn't find a reference.
First, your comment seems completely unsubstantiated. Secondly, as an immigrant, your grammar and punctuation sucks. :)
Lastly, to humor this new topic you've chosen to start anti-climatically, I'd say that the DEC doesn't exactly know the rules very well either. In fact, I remember they tried to fine me for an illegally-sized "bass" when they saw a 7" shiner in my bucket.
Get the flag!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Well how'd everyone do in the tournaments? Also looks like more snow the 21st and 22nd

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Not sure about the tourneys, but I had a very slow day. Only 10 mid sized perch.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Well how'd everyone do in the tournaments? Also looks like more snow the 21st and 22nd

Spoke to John Boss today.... he fished the Highland Lake tourney..... took 1st, 2nd & 3rd place in the Crappie category !!!!   Way to go John !!!!  Nice to see one of ":our guys" making a name for himself on the tourney circuit. 

Keep up the good work.....might see you at the Sackett Lake contest.....later !!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
IceBalls thanks for the update on John(Boss J) he is building a name for himself on the Sullivan County ice fishing contest circuit. I wonder how many people turned out for the Mahogany Ridge (Highland Lake) contest. We all better place our spoon order soon before he is sold out of product. Also have to see if any photos have been posted for the Hurleyville Fire Dept. contest.

Good luck and fishing to all going out tomorrow. If anyone goes to the King of the Ice contest please post a report.

Steve

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
thanks Rodger. this contest was one i really wanted to win. 2 years in a row i have taken first in crappies there. was a fun day out there. I'm not sure what the turnout was for the contest, i was focused on my T7's rod tip and my flasher...   
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
Congratulations on your wins John!!   1st  2nd  and  3rd.......Outstanding!!  :clap: :thumbsup: :bow:

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Congratulations John!!  How big were your catches?
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
they were not monsters, 13, 12, 12. my good friend Kevin almost had 3rd. really tho this year i had been out there a few times and only got 1 crappie over 7 inches on those trips. if it wasnt for loosing the first 3 fish on my last trip, they all felt bigger, i would have set up somewhere else. then i am sure i wouldnt have placed as well as i did.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline peterk814

• IceShanty Rookie
Not sure about the tourneys, but I had a very slow day. Only 10 mid sized perch.

Fished Saturday. Not in the tourney but we crushed it until about midday when the bite shut down.  Managed about 100 nice white and yellow perch mixed and four bass between two guys in four hours.  Only kept about two dozen for the table. 

Offline Lineman0406

• IceShanty Rookie
Heading out tomorrow, can't decide where to go.... Chodikee, Sylvan, Whaley, anyone have advice? I'd like to get into some perch ideally

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
SCCC  King of the Ice Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/SullivanCounty.ConservationClub

That's a nice walleye that won king of the ice! Always seems to be a walleye that wins....

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You might want to be careful about what you post DEC like to troll this site..... Deer are doing fine down here and we don't have to feed them for them to survive either! Saw one today out in the sun at about 8am that was nice a fat.... they've survived the winters for how long with out my help no need to help them now. If they happen to find the bird seed in the bird feeder good for them but I'm not putting food out for them.

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
You might want to be careful about what you post DEC like to troll this site..... Deer are doing fine down here and we don't have to feed them for them to survive either! Saw one today out in the sun at about 8am that was nice a fat.... they've survived the winters for how long with out my help no need to help them now. If they happen to find the bird seed in the bird feeder good for them but I'm not putting food out for them.

The whole feeding deer issue was shot down in a court I read in NY,  unenforceable.  Now hunting over bait is of course.

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
You can feed animals. You just can't bait deer or bear. It's up to the ECO's discretion if you are baiting or not..

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The whole feeding deer issue was shot down in a court I read in NY,  unenforceable.  Now hunting over bait is of course.

It was only shot down in sullivan county. But I'm sure the ECO will still give you a ticket it's just a matter of how many people will fight it

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
You can feed animals. You just can't bait deer or bear. It's up to the ECO's discretion if you are baiting or not..

Feeding wild turkeys and tree rats,  no tickets or issue.   

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Feeding wild turkeys and tree rats,  no tickets or issue.   

unless its deer season and you have a rifle in your hand!  ;D

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline conservationist

• IceShanty Rookie
Regardless of the season, it's not legal to put out any type of feed for deer, though it is legal to fell trees and shrubs to make their nutritious twigs/buds accessible to deer:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7197.html

And the DEC have good ecological reasons for regulating this.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Regardless of the season, it's not legal to put out any type of feed for deer, though it is legal to fell trees and shrubs to make their nutritious twigs/buds accessible to deer:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7197.html

So according to the DEC I can put food out for any animal I want as long as it doesn't attract deer and/or moose. What if I have free ranging chickens and I put food out for them and it attracts the deer and/or moose is that illegal?

Also, odds are right now they (deer and/or moose) will be attracted to anything we put out.

The thing I don't understand is in every single state surrounding NY you are allowed to "bait" deer

The DEC "ecological" reason is a CWD case out in Wisconsin back in 2002 I believe and then when CWD was found in 5 deer back in 05 that were in a fenced in pen. Not one case was or has been found in the wild in NYS. 

More than 31,000 wild white-tailed deer were tested statewide from 2002 through 2010. No cases of CWD. In 2011 more than 1,800 hunter-harvested deer tested negative for CWD during statewide surveillance. In 2012 more than 1,500 hunter-harvested deer tested negative for CWD during statewide surveillance however 4 deer in PA were found to have CWD 3 of which were wild. 2013 more than 2,500 hunter-harvested deer tested negative for CWD during statewide surveillance. 2014 The first case in Ohio and again a CAPTIVE DEER. If you ask me the captive breeding farms shouldn't be allowed to feed deer. That seems to be where the issue is not in the wild

From what I have seen hunting in other states where you can bait deer the deer tend to eat at the baited area for 10 minutes or so and then move on to the surrounding vegetation. You might have one young 1.5 year old buck that will sit there at the pile but most deer eat for a bit then move on.

I don't understand why NY doesn't do what Jersey does allow baiting during certain dates (I think its september through mid december) and then no baiting so the deer don't "starve" themselves.

I think the no baiting thing is just like the certified bait ordeal a way for NYS to make more money off of the hunters and fisherman/woman

Also, don't tell me to grow a food plot because doesn't that do what a bait pile does and draw deer into a concentrated area? Where they have the chance to defecate where they eat? Also lets be honest the average hunter doesn't have the property let alone the equipment to make a big enough food plot so the deer won't be concentrated to a certain area.

Offline Doitnow

• Team IceShanty Regular

I don't understand why NY doesn't do what Jersey does allow baiting during certain dates (I think its september through mid december) and then no baiting so the deer don't "starve" themselves.

You can bait at any time in Jersey.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You can bait at any time in Jersey.

Thanks for correcting me I thought I read somewhere it was only allowed during a certain time of the year

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have been told my ECOs in my area that you can put whatever you want on the ground as long as you're not hunting over it. It's up to the ECO's to determine that. Don't put anything next to a treestand or ground blind. The reason was the courts decision in Sullivan County. You can feed animals. If deer happen to eat it than oh well....

Offline peterk814

• IceShanty Rookie
DEC is a joke along with its officers. Greenies with guns on power trips.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
]no hunting allowed for miles in a metropolitan area..

According to the DEC I can hunt 150 feet away from any building with a bow! If I have the landowners permission I can hunt right on his porch! Also if the landowners neighbors are within 150 feet and they say I can hunt I'm good to go...

"It is illegal to discharge a firearm, longbow or crossbow:within 500 feet (for a firearm), 250 feet (for a crossbow) or 150 feet (for a longbow) of a dwelling, farm building or structure in occupation or use unless you own it, lease it, are an immediate member of the family, an employee, or have the owner's consent."

According to that I can hunt where I work!

Offline rugermag

• IceShanty Rookie
Although  there are some very good game protectors, the majority of them are college grads who never
get into the field or on the water. Many of our laws that we are expected to obey are the offshoot
of some guy or gal sitting at a desk. When prolonged frigid weather and deep snow prevails for months
the game and birds certainly need and deserve our help. If your neighbor needed help, wouldn't you
choose to give them sustenance. And oh yeah, I am a hunter, fisherman and trapper!

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
I personally feed the ---- out of the woods.  If deer eat the feed, then so be it.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.