New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095815 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Are there any contests this weekend?  I'm having allot of trouble searching on my phone. 

Thanks

I think on Loch Sheldrake ...Check with Sports nuts in Rock hill 1-(845)-794-2000  he may have a list of contests in Sullivan Co . If you confirm any please post.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
CONTESTS:

This weekend:  Loch Sheldrake

Next Weekend:  2/14.. Morningside Lake.... or.... Highland Lake      2/15.. King of The Ice on White Lake

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone know the status of the public launch at Swinging Bridge? Is it open? Any chance it is plowed?

Thanks for any info.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Some  garden center was selling waxworms  40 for 8.99  lol.. what the????!!!! Anybody know where else I can get grubs?  Wonder if Davis has anything?

I order online before the season it's cheaper than buying them as I go and since I like to use mousies and they are hard to come by at times its nice to have them and not worry.... I have a mini fridge that I keep them in at the recommended temperature. They last all ice season and through ice out spring fishing after that they get fed to the birds....

Also weather update looks to be a quick clipper system coming Wednesday and then a storm on Thursday but that might change as the models still won't agree with Thursdays storm.... Then as of now looks like a big storm starting sometime Sunday morning into Monday those times are most likely to change since that is so far in advance

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Some  garden center was selling waxworms  40 for 8.99  lol.. what the????!!!! Anybody know where else I can get grubs?  Wonder if Davis has anything?

Ja-Da bait pretty fast n free shipping ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey guys, I know ice should be safe on Rockland lake now but does anybody know if its opened? Have a day off class tomorrow and my dads friend just called to ask if I wanted to come.1 hour drive for me so does anybody know if its open? Thanks alot. Offices are closed and I didn't think I was going so I didn't call.

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey guys, I know ice should be safe on Rockland lake now but does anybody know if its opened? Have a day off class tomorrow and my dads friend just called to ask if I wanted to come.1 hour drive for me so does anybody know if its open? Thanks alot. Offices are closed and I didn't think I was going so I didn't call.

It is still not open.  We want to hit it too.  They told us to check back in on Friday and they would let us know if they are gonna open it for Sat............

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
I doubt it but they had it open this season so far.. do not go near that ramp unless you have chains ;D

Thanks! Have chains and still won't go near it.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
called this morning and it was not open. Drove by this afternoon  after fishing a small pond a half mile from there and it's still a red flag. On a side note the small pond I fished had a red flag. the maximum depth is only about 6 or 7 feet so I ventured out. All the holes I drilled were about 9". I have a feeling it hasn't been checked in quite some time.

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Has anyone ever fished Cortlandt lake before?

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
There is a guy from western NY selling grubs on EBay.
Not cheap but not over inflated pricing!
Ships very lively spikes fast!
I ordered on Tuesday night and had them on Friday!
Smith Creek Fish Farm
Website under same name.
In Bliss,NY
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline coorslightguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 3% patriot
Is there any trout in hessian lake ? That is the lake by bear mountain lodge right? Also do they allow ice fishing?

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is there any trout in hessian lake ? That is the lake by bear mountain lodge right? Also do they allow ice fishing?

Yes the state stocks trout in Hessian every year, and Ice fishing is allowed.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
As stated, there is trout. Had a very limited time yesterday. Fished 30 FOW, two hits, but nothing to show.
It is what it is....

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
As of today, Rockland Lake is open as well as Blue Lake in Sterling Forest
It is what it is....

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Went out with a friend today on a private lake for 3 hours. kept 20 bluegills all over 9". A few I could barely  get my hand around. Also got 7 keeper perch. Smallest was 11" biggest was just over 14". Will try to post pictures at some point tonight.  :tipup:

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
well looks like we are going to get HAMMERED with snow Sunday into Monday.... As of now they are saying 6-10 on Sunday and another 4-8 on Monday.... of course we are way far out so those precipitation totals will change either for the better or worse as we get closer

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Here's some pics. Fish are going in the fryer as I type! ;D

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline loustru

• Team IceShanty Regular
NICE!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Ice Boy19 good looking group of fish should make for an enjoyable meal. BigJoesFishing try the area in front of the boat dock it is the deepest part of the lake. Also be prepared to move you should eventually find some fish.
Kb the Loch Sheldrake Fire Dept. contest is this Saturday Feb. 7TH I'm assuming you register at the fire house located on route 52 entry fee should be similar to other fire dept. contests in area $5 to 10 dollars for adults. A gentleman named Harry Barrett is a contact person for this contest . Here is his phone number. (845)-292-5916 use star 82 before the phone number . Hopefully you have more success reaching him then my attempts ,he never seems to be home. To date no info. posted on the department's website.
Here are the dates of some other contests Sat.Feb 14 Hurleyville Fire Dept. at Morningside Lake and Mahogany Ridge Hunting Club at Highland Lake. Sun.Feb.15 King of The Ice at White Lake and Sat. Feb.21 Monticello Fire Dept. at Sackett Lake. All of these contests are in Sullivan County. Information on all contests with exemption of Loch Sheldrake and Mahogany Ridge can be found in the Contest thread started by AdkRoy. (stickied near top of New York General Community page)

Please remember we are using the Hurleyville contest for the second SENY members gathering.

Mr.Clean/Steve

Offline Lineman0406

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone ever fished loch sheldrake? Any good? Was planning on heading out there sat for the derby. I spoke to someone over at sports nuts in rock hill who said they are still having it tho I haven't had any luck finding info or getting ahold of anyone for details either.  Best of luck, tight lines!

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
Loch Sheldrake has walleye and brown trout. Drop offs near flats might be good.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Ice Boy, NICE JOB!!!

congrats.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i have fished loch sheldrake twice this year and am not going to the contest there. both trips i did not see many people getting action. i did get into perch but they are in the 5-7" range. my first trip i got 2 12" crappies but my trip last week i did not get anything worth wasting the bait on. good luck if you do go.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Think I just lucked out for a new bait tank to keep bait in between trips instead of in the bucket.... had the fish tank in the living room spring a small leak somewhere in the bottom. Got a new tank and put the old one outside. Just changed the water in my 6gal bucket and it dawned on me... fix the leak in the old tank buy a filter and I'm in business! Looks like I have a nice project for during the storm we are going to get Sunday and Monday....
Now if they would only do away with bait being "certified" for 10 days

Also going to fish a private pond this weekend hopefully we catch those 12"-14" hog perch again like last year.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I haven't bought bait in years lm.. i'm strictly jigging and happy not to worry about live bait in a bucket..btw do they still enforce the ten day receipt of purchase for the VHS thingy?

Im not sure only seen a warden once (last year) and we knew him so he didn't ask questions lol.... I've only heard them ask if you had a bait receipt never check it (just what I heard).... but we like to set up the tipups so we know when and how the perch schools are moving and we also have using tipups for crappies figured out perfectly where we catch more on tipups than jigging! It also gives us the opportunity to catch more with more lines in the water! Also depending on the body of water we like to chase muskies or pike or eyes (haven't figured out the best way for eyes on tipups yet)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I still hole hop and probably more than most do if I'm strictly fishing for panfish but the tip ups are nice when they let me know the schools coming back around

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looks like the storm is going to track a little farther North then was was first being shown. Good news is not as much snow!

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
cool, yes I think jersey no such live bait law exists so was wondering with the border water guess thge state line matters in that case (not licenses) yeah i think tipups are fun but i can't be hassled ..i rather look for them instead of waiting most of the time. Hoping to try some lake in Harriman before the big snow storm.
Harriman has been slow for me. Hit silvermine and didn't hook anything. A few light strikes but that's it. Tiorati was slightly better. Was there a few days ago and managed a few perch and a tiny pickerel.

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Seen someone fishing the Orange-Rockland lake today when I was coming home from Peekskill

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.