New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095911 times)

Offline striperman

• IceShanty Rookie
4:30 am here in dutchess county and only about 3 " so far but the winds are really blowing.Now saying 6 to 12 in our area.
It's not how deep you fish,
Its how you wiggle your worm

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
I hope everyone is getting through winter storm Juno without much hardship. I wish news media and county government would communicate with each other I had no idea about the Orange County travel ban. Last night I watched YNN news (Time Warner Cable) before going into work (8 P.M.-12 A.M.) heard about the Governor closing major highways at 11 P.M. and NYC shut down. I have the television on currently just saw report that all roads from Sullivan and Ulster counties south being closed until further notice. Also tractor trailer ban on Thruway and routes 84 and 287 . (emergency vehicles only)

Also for your information I updated the SENY Gatherings thread with the names of and directions to a couple baitshops that are close to Fallsburg F.D. contest.

Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
That travel ban sure was a great idea.... that was some storm here in Orange County 3" never seen that before in my life! Where are we Texas?  :roflmao:

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Ol Man Winter and Mother Nature are tough to predict ...was kind of nice not to hear from the weatherman ..."more snow North and West of the City"...got 3 inches in Sullivan county so we will be "open for business" as far as ice fishing.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Yeah tuff snow storm 1" maybe in pinebush  my auger parts are at the post office & it is closed... I have the day off to repair it...?
images.jpeg

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
only got  about 4 inches in rockland. I'm happy  ;D

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I for one and and happy that we did not get all of that snow. We don't need the extra weight on the ice or to be struggling through the snow to get out on the lake.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
We got about 3-4" overnight,but it snowed until about noon and dropped another 4" or so here in Eastern Dutchess.
Spent all day going over my stuff.
Made a board for my Fish N Buddy so I can use it through the ice,repaired a few broken tip ups,rigged up a nice twist on lid pool chemical bucket with a padded seat cushion and fish hole( 6 gallon height is so much easier when you get old and fat) reorganized jig boxes,and got the new Jiffy pro4 Lite oiled up and ready to test out!
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Do any of you guys sign up for the Jack Stewart Derby?
I looked at his website,and 2015 info isn't up yet.
Also no list of where to weigh in fish caught.
It doesn't seem worth it if the check stations are too far away to get to!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
mjgonehunting   where are you located? i know of 1 weigh-in in ulster county but its close to sullivan county line.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Easter Dutchess near the Ct line.
Fish around Brewster alot.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
there is a website for that contest, it should have the ,locations or a way to ask about it.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
my driveway was to shallow to shovel so i used the leaf blower to clean it off. lol

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Might be hitting Greenwood again on Thursday

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
6 Perch today.... had 2 eyes come sniff at around 6:30 and then retreat back to the bottom.... Guess they were not hungry tonight.....

Offline buddy396

• IceShanty Rookie
can somebody post directions to fallsburg tourn. saturday?? where is echo lake???  thanks :tipup:

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
can somebody post directions to fallsburg tourn. saturday?? where is echo lake???  thanks :tipup:

You should add your location to your profile .

From Rt 17 /I 86 West bound

At exit 107, take ramp right toward Bridgeville / South Fallsburg

Bear right onto Heiden Rd / CR-161

Turn right onto RT-42 / Main St, and then immediately turn left onto La Vista Dr

Turn left onto Pleasant Valley Rd

0.2 mi
Turn left onto Westwood Dr
0.9 mi

Arrive at near contest Westwood Dr, South Fallsburg, NY 12779 on the right
The last intersection is Pinewood Estates RdIf you reach Brophy Rd, you've gone too far

The lake is known on Bing maps as Alta lake

near 153 Westwood Dr, South Fallsburg, NY 12779

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Also for those of you who use the Navionics app depending where you fish it could be way off.... got to my spot yesterday was supposed to be in 21 fow drilled a hole and it was 13'.... either they dropped the lake 8 feet or the underwater hump grew lol

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Also for those of you who use the Navionics app depending where you fish it could be way off.... got to my spot yesterday was supposed to be in 21 fow drilled a hole and it was 13'.... either they dropped the lake 8 feet or the underwater hump grew lol

Most maps are based on the Fisheries high water ...not familiar with Greenwood lake ...is it possible to be up 7 feet at its fullest capacity ?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Most maps are based on the Fisheries high water ...not familiar with Greenwood lake ...is it possible to be up 7 feet at its fullest capacity ?

I know they drop it in the winter so people can fix their docks... but where i was fishing the one depth was a foot shallower the other was 7 foot deeper and then there was the one 7ft shallower unless we were off the spot by a lot but the holes we drilled around the area said we where where we were supposed to be contour line wise.... or maybe there's a buoy there during the spring summer and fall and we just happened to drill over where it anchors....

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Buddy396 you can find slightly different directions to the Fallsburg Fire Dept. contest held at Echo/Alta Lake in South Fallsburg,NY. by going to page 5 of the SENY 2015 Gatherings Suggestions thread.

Here are some law enforcement phone numbers that all those attending  may want to pass along to any family.

Sullivan County Sherriff  (845)-794-7100             Fallsburg,NY. police  9845)-434-4422
Wurtsboro,NY. State Police Barracks   (845)-888-2681

Just for everyone info. I'm going to bump the SENY gatherings thread up to page one of the NY.General Community page.

Mr.Clean/Steve

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody know if Rockland lake is opened yet?

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Bigace given one of these phone numbers a call Sterling Forest Visitor's Center 845-351-5907, Harriman State Park Tiorotti Circle office  845-429-8257,     Harrriman State Park office at Bear Mountain  845-786-2701. One of them should have the information on Rockland Lake.
Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
It is so cold out, i'm taking my time this am.. hoping to get out in the pm if the wind dies down.. I use the WU app on my computer,, anybody have a better weather app? going to work on my jigging setups and consolidate tackle for the harsh sub temps ..hopefully i get a good Sunday in before the next snow storm.

The Weather . com and WU seem to be in sync or cahoots with one another .. as far as forecasts.. they have been getting the forecasts right for the most part for quite some time my go to forecasters...predicte d 6 in total for "the BIG storm of 2015 " spot on for my area .

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
As of Thursday 1/29 rockland lake was still closed. I know the information Center is only open monday-Friday. If Iget time after the range today I will swing by and see if a green flag is out.

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The Weather . com and WU seem to be in sync or cahoots with one another .. as far as forecasts.. they have been getting the forecasts right for the most part for quite some time my go to forecasters...predicte d 6 in total for "the BIG storm of 2015 " spot on for my area .

looking like 8-12 for my area

And as far as the "big storm" they went with the Euro model instead of the GFS model (which predicted what was going to happen 100%) and by the time they realized the Euro model was 150 miles off it was already too late since it wasn't until about 10pm Monday night

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
They just bumped it..... 12-18 for both sullivan and orange

Paused that one perfectly  :roflmao:

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
is that the euro again lol