New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095984 times)

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
since when?

Does the State list a public access point to fish Mahopac ?  If not its land locked by private land, and would have to pay a fee to a marina or know a resident to access. 

Offline bucktailnick

• IceShanty Rookie
  off limits to ice fishing..

Where did you hear that?

Offline bucktailnick

• IceShanty Rookie
I think you can use either marina on mahopac to access the lake. Don't think they would charge you unless you want to launch a boat. Place should be good for ice fishing by next weekend. Fish a ton there during open water. Call either marina to clarify though.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Does the State list a public access point to fish Mahopac ?  If not its land locked by private land, and would have to pay a fee to a marina or know a resident to access.

If you guys do a quick google search or click the link to the dec site then click on lake mahopac or even go back a half page and actually read though what was posted you see what I posted about the access.... oh wait why should you waste your time let me make it easy for you....

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/70965.html or
The shoreline of Mahopac Lake is privately owned. Anglers gain access to fish Mahopac through the two marinas on the south shore off S Lake Blvd. These marinas charge a fee to launch a boat.

Sorry if this posts sounds a little mean but it doesn't take long to find the answers if you go back a page or two

In regards to this
since when?

if you click the link the top of the page says "Ice Fishing in Putnam County" in big green letters and Mahopac is at the bottom....
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31154.html

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Pooley thank you for posting the new phone number for Lake Tiorotti field office. Corndog thanks for the Bear Mountain phone number and information on Harriman and Sterling Forest lakes. Just to refresh my memory is Lake Nawahunta located off of state route 6?
Steve

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
Pooley thank you for posting the new phone number for Lake Tiorotti field office. Corndog thanks for the Bear Mountain phone number and information on Harriman and Sterling Forest lakes. Just to refresh my memory is Lake Nawahunta located off of state route 6?
Steve

Hey Steve..Lake Nawahunta is located just across the road from Slivermine Lake.

Lake Nawahunta

http://goo.gl/maps/BV8HK
It is what it is....

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Does any one know of a bait shop up by glen spey ny?

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Mahopac is not off limits to ice fishing.  It is  a state owned lake.  People may come out there and try to run you and say it is private but just tell them to beat it..........

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ie=UTF8&msa=0&z=7&hl=en&mid=zcrgvPKbkhdM.kNocREHXpZ_U

may want to call to make sure if they are still in business

if your coming up ST Rt 17 ...Toms or Sportsnutz is open

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lake Mahopac is not off limits to ice fishing.  It is  a state owned lake.  People may come out there and try to run you and say it is private but just tell them to beat it..........

The property around the lake is private but not the lake its self... if you can get access from the marina's or a home owner then you're golden

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fished a little farm pond from about 640 till 1140 between the two of us we caught probably 40 crappies most between 6"-8" kept 7 all between 9" and 11" and threw back probably 10 or so more keepers including a 12"..... couple bass as well and a 20" pickerel. Good morning. Couldn't really start jigging till about 8:30 was too busy chasing flags which a lot were take it 3 feet and just hang there didn't really eat the fatheads like they should've been.... Most of the crappie came jigging and had to switch colors started with Glow then pink then green... mousies and plastics worked equally well with mousies getting the better sized fish. Missed a bunch of bites I normally don't. Was good to get the rust off.

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular

Barryville Sportsmen used to have bait. Definitely call first.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
A quick aerial view of Mahopac shows that there is a small park on the south side that you could probably walk onto the ice from. Just a suggestion.

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Went to Rockland lake wensday to check ICR conditions and try fishing but it was closed. Still walked out on the ice, about 2-3 inches close to shore getting thicker up to 4.5 inches, before getting kicked off by the parks management. There were some open water spots so hopefully by next weekend it should be open to fishing! Anybody had any luck on lakes close to the city?

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Went to Tiorati today managed to get 7 keeper perch. Also got 8 pickerel biggest around 20". Must have caught 30 dink perch and a handful that were almost keepers. I had perch hitting the tip ups and they were no bigger then the med shiners I was using lol.

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
BigJoesFishing.... as posted earlier check the Barryville Sportsman 845-557-9907 or if their hours are not good for you, check out Kasey's cast-a-ways a 24 hour bait shop 845-858-2001 or 845-672-9063, located at 102 Schoolhouse rd in Greenville NY. Kasey's is also a weigh in station for NYS Winter Tournament which is run by NY Iceshanty site sponsor NYS Ice Pro-Am Tournament Series.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
I actually stopped at kaseys cast away in port jervis. It's a great little bait shop. I usually go to toms but he was sold out of bait this morning

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I usually go to toms but he was sold out of bait this morning

Tom's is my last resort as he is normally $2 a dozen more than what I normally pay (also he's about 30-40 minutes away compared to 5 minutes).... But nobody has any bait or is all sold out it seems like the quick freeze caught everyone off guard

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Corndog thank you for the information on Lake Nawahunta. Hardwater Diehard I think the prize list you posted a link to is for the raffle prizes,not prizes for different species of fish.

Also for everone information AdkRoy has added the Swan Lake Fire Dept. contest to his thread. The thread is stickied near the top of New York General Community page. My thanks to whomever sent AdkRoy the info. on this contest.
Steve

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Went jigging at Chodikee last night from 4:30 to 6 pm. Not a bite, unusual.........

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Loudmouth879 where do u normally get ur bait from?

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hit Welch today..on at 9am off by 2pm. Steady wind and gusts proved hazardous. One of the guys went on a "walk about" to retrieve a chair. Get to your feet, loose your seat! Numerous dink yellows and gills. Some keeper gills and one nice Crappies. One of the fellas landed two Largies. One about 2lbs and one probably over 3lbs.
On a different note, there was a guy on skis with a kite, the kind they use for kite boarding in the ocean. Even he was having trouble with the sever gusts. Nice guy. Told him "We may be nuts out here fishing in these conditions,but you're crazy!" We laughed. Super nice guy. I remember in the 80's meeting two guys with land yachts on Tiorati who hailed from Connecticut. They too were as interested in us crazies ice fishing as we were with their wind powered contraptions.
Safe weekend to all...tight lines.
It is what it is....

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
I parked by the dam..seen the kite guy..who were the two following out around noon. . One  lost his 5 gal  blow off the dam..yup it was slow even in my favorite holes.  I'll try posting decent fish tomorrow. ..going to be shanty weather tomorrow morning @)

Not sure who they were. Anti social. Didn't bother stopping by to ask how it was going. Didn't see their pail fail.lol
It is what it is....

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i went out in the wind for the evening bite. had a good time. was hard to feel/see the bite but still ices 40-50 fish. my first crappie got off in the hole and actually jumped out onto the ice! must have been because it knew i wasnt keeping anything today, lol.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Just a heads up to everyone I was able to obtain information on the Monticello Fire Dept. contest. I've passed it on to AdkRoy for inclusion in his contest thread. So hopefully he will post the details later today .(Sat.)  I also took a road trip to South Fallsburg to find out where on Westwood Road the fireman's camp is located will post directions closer to the contest date. (Sat.Jan.31) Stopped by Winding Hills Park (Town of Montgomery off of Route 17K) Diamond Lake is currently open for ice fishing. Here is the ranger station phone number so you can get report on ice thickness and any special regulations. Gas powered augers are permitted.
                                 Winding Hills Park ranger station             (845)-457-4918

Also stopped at Sport Nuts baitshop in Rockhill,NY. there hours are Sun.-Sat. 9A.M.-5P.M.  On days there are contests this winter they will try to be open at 6 A.M. call on Thursday or Friday before a contest to be sure they are open.
                              Sport Nuts Bait shop            (845)-794-2000

Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Bunch of guys on Greenwood today don't know how thick it is tho

Offline bigace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Went on white lake today.1 LMB, 2 pickerel and 5 perch on tip ups. Very slow day and def won't be coming to this lake for a few years until the Dec continues stocking of the walleye

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
fished this afternoon on a pond in Warwick bunch of crappies a couple gills and one yellow perch.... Best fishing was when I first got there caught about 7 crappie off the bat then it slowed way down.... Crappie were 8" for the most part probably a couple keepers that went back one gill was 8.5 which went back and didn't measure the perch

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
went out on loch sheldrake today. got a lot of dink perch. 1 was 12 but all the others were between 5-7. at the end of the day i did get 2 12 inch crappies. it was a bright day. i dont usually do well on the sunny days...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.