New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095890 times)

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
I fished in Sullivan co. with boss jigs on sat. we both almost run our augers out of gas …we moved around some
until we found the fish, drilled a lot of holes … we catch a lot of perch, throw backs & keepers . boss catch a nice perch
on 1 of his jigs … we both will be eating good this week… :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bite was not to hot for  me , manage 2 crappie , 2 perch and a bunch of gills all day, hopefully today is gonna be better.
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
had a blast out there with ya Dewey. yeah we drilled alot of holes but the way i was going i was on the school for a long time, once i found them. once again you saw my spoons in action. its freaky just how hard they will come in and slam it as its dropping down. it still gets me going when i see 3 or 4 perch, crappies, or gils coming up 10 foot of the bottom to eat it! i must say the hardest part is getting the fish off fast enough to get back down the hole to the others there waiting. you gotta love the weed edges right now. and those perch are so full of eggs they are dripping as i was getting them out of the bucket. the pre spawn feed is on hardcore. i hope to get back out 1 or 2 times this week...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
Spent a day in Sullivan on Saturday - did pretty well.
It was generally slow day, but I had some fish.
Unusual thing was that I lost about ten very decent perches right at the bottom edge of the ice down the hole and my Marcum was acting pretty strange too - giving me very weak readings.
Took me some time to realize that - do to the ice thickness - my holes were not straight anymore, so when you pull the fish straight up it hits the bottom edge of the ice hard and that is where you loose it. Slowed down a bit with pulling the line up at the last three feet or so and never had this issue again.
After that I was able to quickly solve the Marcum issue - since the holes are angled you just have to put transducer into the position where it's not hitting the side of the hole.
Have to upgrade to the gas auger next season.

Got a nice bass in the morning and finish the day with ten perches including couple in 11-12 inches range and seven pickerels - the biggest two were 22,5".

I do believe on my way back I saw Boss Jigs and Deweyicefish loading their quad on the trailer. Next time will introduce myself.  ;D

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
got out for a couple hours this morning had to leave before the bite kicked on but caught a couple.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Very nice LM ...that top one has shoulders ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Saturday was my personal best.  (Sorry I have to boast). My perch Death Star:

They were all deep, and the smaller ones came up and went belly up when I returned them.  Not being one to waste them, I took them home. I had iced about 35 fish total including a nice bass I hope to see again come summer.

Sunday had a different lake, and a different outcome.   My Sunfish Ring of Fire:
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
KB ......Great day !!!!!......Congrats!!!!!

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
LM that ones a beast !!!!
Nice !!!!!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
nice fish guys!!!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
real nice fish kb & loudmouth… the action was hot this last weekend .  :icefish:
I fished a small farm pond today after work & catch all small bass… the ice on the shallow end was real slushy be careful out there guys…
images.jpeg

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
nice fish kb..... I stopped fishing at 11 today since I had to work but my uncle and one of his buddies stayed out and only had 2 flags and no more fish

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
So recently I Emailed the NYDEC regarding Tip downs use and definition here is there response that they mailed ( USPS ) :

Tip-up means any device used for fishing through the ice that has a signaling device attached,except a bobber or other floating object on the water,that will visually or audibly signal a strike ."Signaling devices" are considered to include a wide array of items including tip-downs,flags,spring loaded snappers/clappers ,and other devices that are triggered or tripped by fish causing the fishing rod or implement to pivot or spring up signaling the angler .As far as tip downs ,we view the butt of the rod moving up,when triggered by a fish ,to be enough of a signaling device to be considered a tip up.Having said that the addition of something like red tape on the butt of the rod would certainly add to the tip down , as far as meeting the signaling device requirement.
      You are correct as to 5 tip-ups and 3 hand lines being allowed for ice fishing with a few exceptions (e.g. Lake Champlain ). Currently the Department is considering simplifying and coverting this to "a total number of ice fishing devices ",which would eliminate the confusion that currently surrounds the questions of differences between what is a hand line and what is a tip-up.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So recently I Emailed the NYDEC regarding Tip downs use and definition here is there response that they mailed ( USPS ) :

Tip-up means any device used for fishing through the ice that has a signaling device attached,except a bobber or other floating object on the water,that will visually or audibly signal a strike ."Signaling devices" are considered to include a wide array of items including tip-downs,flags,spring loaded snappers/clappers ,and other devices that are triggered or tripped by fish causing the fishing rod or implement to pivot or spring up signaling the angler .As far as tip downs ,we view the butt of the rod moving up,when triggered by a fish ,to be enough of a signaling device to be considered a tip up.Having said that the addition of something like red tape on the butt of the rod would certainly add to the tip down , as far as meeting the signaling device requirement.
      You are correct as to 5 tip-ups and 3 hand lines being allowed for ice fishing with a few exceptions (e.g. Lake Champlain ). Currently the Department is considering simplifying and coverting this to "a total number of ice fishing devices ",which would eliminate the confusion that currently surrounds the questions of differences between what is a hand line and what is a tip-up.

here's 8 pages of arguing over what is a signaling device and how many lines you can have..... it's quite comical and even on the dec site is says 5 tipups and 3 handlines with replies from dec I believe
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=265849.0

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This rain coming should be a good thing for the fishing.... hopefully it'll open up the edges and get some new oxygen into the lakes to help limit the potential die off we could have..... the edges should refreeze as well because of the cold that will return for a bit after the storm

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
What is a tip-down anyway? Usually I put out my 5 tip-ups, jig with two jigging poles, and put a third jigging pole in a rod holder next to me with a minnow on it. The third jigging rod doesn't have any flagging device attached to it, I just loosen the drag, so when a fish takes the bait, I can hear him taking line. Is  this third rod considered a tip-down, or can I just say it's my third hand line? Don't want to be breaking the law.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What is a tip-down anyway? Usually I put out my 5 tip-ups, jig with two jigging poles, and put a third jigging pole in a rod holder next to me with a minnow on it. The third jigging rod doesn't have any flagging device attached to it, I just loosen the drag, so when a fish takes the bait, I can hear him taking line. Is  this third rod considered a tip-down, or can I just say it's my third hand line? Don't want to be breaking the law.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=289264.0   about halfway down are pictures.... or you can search google amazing what you can find on there and its quicker than waiting for a response.... In the time it took me to post this I could've got my answer online and read a page of info about them maybe even ordered some

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'll be out fishing again tomorrow might as well stay at it while the ice is here

Offline RobLII

• IceShanty Rookie

Here is an instructional ice fishing video my friends and I shot this weekend on Muscoot
I would like to hear your opinions, good and bad. Nothing was scripted we just did it on the fly.

http://www.chasintailtv.com/videos/chasin-tail-tv/188-ice-fishing-in-southern-ny

Offline rugermag

• IceShanty Rookie
Good job on introduction of a friend to the great sport of ice fishing.
Don't have any negative things to say. Just a reminder that a permit
is needed along with his state license. Nice going!

Offline Lightsimage

• IceShanty Rookie
Nicely done! Good to see some home area action.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Nice video if you make another maybe spend time taking about clothing and footwear. It is one thing to ice fish in 40 or more degree weather versus ten degrees or lower. Also remember wind chill factor.
Steve

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
Nice video...  Thanks for sharing!

Offline pfd5623sg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dont eat the yellow snow... or ice... lmao
Please read ....

DEP to temporarily shut down Catskill Aqueduct

NEW YORK – The New York City Department of Environmental Protection will to shut down the Catskill Aqueduct for a week to allow construction workers to progress the connection between the Catskill and Delaware aqueducts in Gardiner.

As a result, water use from Boyd’s Corners Reservoir in Putnam County will be increased from 20 million gallons per day to 190 million GPD and that could drop water levels by some three feet compromising the strength of ice on the reservoir.

Because of that potentially dangerous condition, the DEP has temporarily closed access to the reservoir. Signs have been posted around the water body and DEP police will provide extra patrols over the weekend to ensure fishermen do not go out on the ice.

Keeping water levels up while the Catskill Aqueduct is shut down will help maintain storage levels in West Branch and Kensico reservoirs.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looking at the 10 day it seems that the ice isn't going to be here too much longer might be able to fish on top in April.... shorelines will definitely be sketchy down the road.... we'll have to wait to find out.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Time to start digging out the planks.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline AmIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
You think there will be enough ice for next week

Offline AmIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac

bring some planks

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
 I have a nice plank…  :) can't wait till the am fishing should be good this weekend… :icefish: good luck guys & be safe…
images.jpeg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.