New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095962 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
PWG one other reason I can think of why you are required to label tipups  is so if you leave them out unattended the D.E.C. will know who to contact and ticket. You must be in attendance when your tipups are in the water. What exactly this means is debatable , how far you can be from your tipup while it is in the water?
 That was some thick ice you were cutting through on White Lake . I will have to dig out the extension for my Strike Master Lazer auger just to be sure I can get through the ice. I think the thickest ice I've drilled through is 24 inches back in 1994.
Steve

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
I use trap tags,  you can order a 100 of them on the web for 10 to 15 bucks.   Never have to worry about stickers or markers wearing off.   

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Picked up a DYMO lable maker at Staples ..  on sale 10 bucks ....works nice ...labeling everything now tackle storage boxes,rods with # and line type,tipups and tip downs with name and address ....sure l'll be labeling much much more .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
How has the fishing been at glenmere ? I can stop on my way home from work for a hr or so…
images.jpeg

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
How has the fishing been at glenmere ? I can stop on my way home from work for a hr or so…
just got back I fish that place almost every day. The bite was very slow the past few days. Caught all very small blue gills and pearch. But should start to get better with the warm front moving in. If u ever want to meet up there let me know. That place is loaded with fish!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy

I was there last weekend and slammed the gills a quarter of a 5gal bucket of 9.5" gills

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was there last weekend and slammed the gills a quarter of a 5gal bucket of 9.5" gills
yeah last weekend was great due to the warm front. But when a cold front comes it shuts the fishing off.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
I will try to get out there on thru. after work about 4:30 pm … :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
yeah last weekend was great due to the warm front. But when a cold front comes it shuts the fishing off.

it was 17* and didn't break 30* while I was there and only fished for about 4 hours.... the key is you gotta move to find the active fish... I could fish that lake everyday and continue to add quality fish to the freezer just gotta be there at the right time and find the actively feeding fish

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
nice crappie PWG  That was my first time fishing there this year…
images.jpeg

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Have nothing against it, will put labels on mine.
I am very law-abiding citizen. ;D
Just never heard about it before and still wondering - why exactly should we do that?
Does anyone know?

A DEC officer once told us its so they can keep track of who's tip up is who's when they are checking and so you don't put out more then the legal number of tip ups allowed. I don't know how long it has been the low but we have been doing it for over 40 years.

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you guys for the explanation - I'm realtively new (about 15 years) to this great country and still learning stuff here and there.
Never heard about the labeling your tipups rule and never pay attention to the others tipups to be honest.
Actually now I'm remembering to wonder why someone put some leters on their flags...
Now I know.  ;D
Also thank you for the various ideas on how to attach the tags to the tipups - I will consider them all.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone want to fish glenmere tomorrow with me let me know?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Drove by Glenmere around 4:15 and there were a couple people out there looked like 3 or 4.

Anyone want to fish glenmere tomorrow with me let me know?
how much ice was there?

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
I didn't end up going today.

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
Temperature is going up, fri 39 and sat 49, i want to fish greenwood this sat but worried if there will be water on top of the ice, what you guys think?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Temperature is going up, fri 39 and sat 49, i want to fish greenwood this sat but worried if there will be water on top of the ice, what you guys think?

you should be fine. I'm not sure where the water would come from since there is no snow on the ice just don't plan on keeping any walleyes.... out of season

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
not out of season until march 15th.

Offline Edm87

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walleye is C&R only now on Greenwood lake, different regs due to it being a 2 state lake

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
not out of season until march 15th.

because it is a border water it has special regulations..... the season ends the last day of February everything else except for bass is open all year. Bass is the same as the statewide regulations

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31402.html

ill be on glenmere in the morning for a few hours

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fished from about 6-10 drilled a lot of holes to find em but it was worth it.... switched a bunch of colors to find what they wanted and finally found what they wanted.... Me and my cousin today ended up with 31 gills, 7 perch, and 2 crappies..... would be back at it tomorrow but issues with the power auger might have me sidelined till sunday or monday. Didn't take individual pictures like I normally do but this does just as good..... gills were 8 and bigger except for 1 and perch were all over 11 and crappies 9.5 and bigger

filled a bucket!

Offline YO1157

• Team IceShanty Regular
It's been that way since I got my first tipups 21 years ago.... It is so when their are 10 tip ups out there the DEC knows which 5 are yours and which ones are not
so your 24 and got your first tip ups 21 years ago    dam i didnt ice fish till i was 11, 3 years old  useing tip ups wow

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
so your 24 and got your first tip ups 21 years ago    dam i didnt ice fish till i was 11, 3 years old  useing tip ups wow

my family started me young what can I say. We used to drive out on the lakes back then too. Think of it this way that was 5 extra tip ups on trips and when we went fishing  ;D

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
so your 24 and got your first tip ups 21 years ago    dam i didn't ice fish till i was 11, 3 years old  using tip ups wow
3 isn't young at all. hell i was fly-in fishing in canada when i was 3. caught a pike that was about 7-8lbs. was 2 inches longer than i was tall.

then fishing walleyes by the time dad shut the motor off tilted the outboard motor up and baited his jig with a minnow i already had 3 in the boat and another on...   

first time he took me fishing i was 2 weeks old. mom was holding me and he held a walleye above me and i batted my arms as if i was trying to get it.

if your taught right then theres no such thing as age...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Loudmouth,

Congrats!  I'd hate to have to clean that many.  I hope you have an electric knife. Whew!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Loudmouth,

Congrats!  I'd hate to have to clean that many.  I hope you have an electric knife. Whew!

I'm house sitting for a family member so they all went to my cousin to clean and keep lol

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Fished Chodikee today. 8 largemouth bass, 1 brown bullhead, and 4 bluegills. on of the largemouths was 20 inches. Nice day out. 2 feet of ice. Very tired.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Loudmouth879 and Tipup28 congratulations on your successful days. Hardwater Diehard and I met at Winding Hills Park(Town of Montgomery/Orange county) this afternoon . Hardwater got three yellow perch on his tipdowns a big sunk for me still a fun day out with a fellow Ice Shanty member. Besides him showing me some things about tip downs,Windlass tipups and how his Vexilar flasher works we discussed a few ideas for next seasons gathering(s) . I will post the ideas in a day or two need to get some information from one I.S. member. Everyone stay safe and enjoy what is left of this ice season.
Steve

Offline mjgonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular

I was setting Dads old Flapjack type tip ups at 5 y/o !
He built a new set so I got his old ones.
Take your kids hunting and fishing!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It's very quiet..... bite must be hot

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.