New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095877 times)

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Just checked my farm pond, which f.y.i. usually has terrible ice throughout the year, and I came back with promising results. 4-6 inches of black ice under a layer of white ice. also, 3" right near the tributary! A little water on top, but overall quite nice considering the terrible weather we've been having. Has anyone been to any local lakes (not looking for secret spots) to check ice thickness? Planning on heading up to the catskills this weekend, but don't want to drive 2 hrs. for nothing. Any reports would be greatly appreciated.

Offline cbyzerman

• IceShanty Rookie
Just came from white pond it is not safe and if white pond is not safe then probably no where is. 

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
I hear Sullivan County has safe ice. It's up a lot Higher then White Pond
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished today from 12 noon until dark, beautiful sunny day little wind 8-10 mph S-E, slow bites until sun down and the bite was on but extremely light, most of the time I had to guess ,I only fish one rod one jig one wax, ice was ok 5" lots of cracks but safe, little water in top.
 Kept was in the picture reliese 5-6  under 10", for reference that piece of plywood is 9"

The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Great catch razvy ....    Congratulations..   :thumbsup:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Doitnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice Catch!

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
razvy No lake name but what town was it around or County trying to see if the ice will be safe around Forestburgh NY  Sullivan County
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Has anyone been to any local lakes (not looking for secret spots) to check ice thickness?

seen people on glenmere

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
razvy No lake name but what town was it around or County trying to see if the ice will be safe around Forestburgh NY  Sullivan County
Yes Shawn , i was not to far from Swinging Bridge.

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice day Raz !!!!!!
congrats !

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Some nice fish for the pan, good job Raz.

Offline Whitecapmike

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice held up in northern orange , shore lines are light but few feet out solid ice 8-10 inches in most areas on private lake.. Some spots near outlet down to 5-6 but plenty safe. Should be a good weekend. Good luck

Offline OldHunter Road

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his
I'm heading to the Catskills tomorrow. Has anyone ever ice- fished either Morningside Lake(Fallsburg) or Lake Tennanah (Rosco NY)? I printed goggle maps on both but any other tips would be appreciated.
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his FLY

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pretty sure Tennanah Lake is private. They have "No Ice Fishing" signs up all over the place. But I have heard it is good fishing, if you have permission go for it. Also it is at a high elevation and probably has pretty good ice.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I'm heading to the Catskills tomorrow. Has anyone ever ice- fished either Morningside Lake(Fallsburg) or Lake Tennanah (Rosco NY)? I printed goggle maps on both but any other tips would be appreciated.
   DEC has a map for morningside  very shallow  ...suppose to be walleye in there ....its snowing and sticking as I type ... so the temps should be with you ....I believe Tennanah is private ...as previously stated ...good luck
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline OldHunter Road

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you both. I will fish Morningside on Fri or Sat and Lake Huntington with you guys on Sunday.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Is the shore ice holding up good enough that you can get out without a plank? Planning opn heading up to the catskills on saturday

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
Morningside can be fun but theres alot of SMALL panfish. try off the back (other side from parking lot) of the islands near the beaver lodge. its a great place to go around 2:30-3:00 pm. drill lots of holes ( like 30-40) and keep the light off or as low as possible from when the sun hits the tree tops through dark. this way you can get into good gill action and crappies. average gills there are around 6-7 inches, the crappies there are right about 9 inches on average but alot will be 1/2-1 inch short. ill fish there till 10:00 or so on most evenings and for most of the time a small jig with a waxxie has a hard time even getting to the bottom in 6 foot of water. as from the walleye, yes they were stocked and time to time you will get 1 but the are mostly smaller fish. personally i have landed 2 walleye there. one was on my first trip to the lake and the second was 2-3 years later. the first might have been legal, didnt have anything to measure with, and the second was about 9 inches.
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Is the shore ice holding up good enough that you can get out without a plank? Planning opn heading up to the catskills on saturday
On my local lake(lower Sullivan)yesterday North shore line took a beating ....bout 2-3 foot out thin or no ice ...plank needed ...got bout a half inch of snow today so that'll help with the radiant heat some ...only got above freezing for a short time today ....next week appears that a cold spell arrives mid week ...BRING IT
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished today from 12 noon until dark, beautiful sunny day little wind 8-10 mph S-E, slow bites until sun down and the bite was on but extremely light, most of the time I had to guess ,I only fish one rod one jig one wax, ice was ok 5" lots of cracks but safe, little water in top.
 Kept was in the picture reliese 5-6  under 10", for reference that piece of plywood is 9"
(Image removed from quote.)
next time i'll put aruler on that 13 incher  ;D nice eats raz

Offline soulstream

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the flag pops, the b#$%t stops!!!
Been out on tenannah. I have a friend with a house there. There is a guy who patrols the lake every day. Been there 6 or 7 times and have never been out for more than an hour before the guy came out and started asking questions. If you don't have permission, don't even bother

Offline FishGuts

• IceShanty Rookie
Yea Morningside can be good for crappies and gills. Like boss jigs said the fish there are average nothing big. Borderline keepers. You just gotta pick through them. Just make sure you don't keep anything that isn't legal because the EnCon and troopers live at that lake or at least it would appear so. That lake has been hurting the last few years, it used to be better. I encourage catch and release there.

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
next time i'll put aruler on that 13 incher  ;D nice eats raz
Thx guys ,
 The war few 15" in that batch, I can smell fish fry out of the kitchen , I'm going to dig up some white vino  ;)

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
"The old man in the Sea"   How does it feel ice?....or is it too early to know.....maybe it will open with the sun......IF I have to drill you ice,...iI will drill you plenty holes....but it is too early to know......I wish you well ice

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
Lots of sad fisherman in DC after these temps  :(

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lots of sad fisherman in DC after these temps  :(
yeah man, I ain't nuts, I wouldn't bother DC..go way6 the heck up (bring a ladder ;D just in case.. I have that option.. but only bring it in case some numbskulls need assisstance.. i bring planks too for emergency help/personal use shoulds i decide it is needed bit still check thickness..i always want this time of season at least 6 inches

Offline OldHunter Road

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you guys for the responses pretty nice of you all. I will check out morning side for sure thanks Boss for the tips. I always catch and release anyway so I'm just looking for a little action.  I will scout out a few lakes tomorrow and report on here. Looks like they are calling for snow showers and windy conditions all weekend.

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thank you guys for the responses pretty nice of you all. I will check out morning side for sure thanks Boss for the tips. I always catch and release anyway so I'm just looking for a little action.  I will scout out a few lakes tomorrow and report on here. Looks like they are calling for snow showers and windy conditions all weekend.
It sure got quiet in here ???hmmmm MAYBE ??? NAH NEVERMIND, IT JUST COULDN'T BE :P

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey just wondering, do any of you guys fish Highland lake anymore? haven't seen any posts. I haven't been there yet this year, but the bite is usually pretty good although the perch are on the small side. thinking about trying it this weekend if there's safe ice..

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
We are too busy clearing the honey-do list for next weekend!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.