New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095955 times)

Offline soulstream

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the flag pops, the b#$%t stops!!!
It's 12 a dozen, but that is definately steep. What are you guys paying up at Tom's?

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
Any word if Sylvan stayed locked up with the recent temps?

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Went by Glenmere around lunch time & there was 1 guy with a kid out from the launch ramp all set up with tip ups & 1 other guy at the far end of the parking lot with tip ups out sitting in the car watching them. Didnt check the ice thickness. Waves of water were blowing all over the ice. Ill wait till next weekend.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Sylvan is still iced over, but you can count on it not being save.  I was surpised driving past it. 

I fished Whites today.  5 inches out past the soft edges.  Nice black ice, once you get past the open water drain holes......

Slow day.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline pfd5623sg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dont eat the yellow snow... or ice... lmao
Any word if Sylvan stayed locked up with the recent temps?
Yes sylvan as of this morning was ice covered on the whole lake... is it safe... Im thinking NOT and wont be for a while in this weather... til it is below freezing all day and night... for many days... I would not trust it... just my experience fishing it for 30 plus years... but what do i know... some nut case was on it the other day... i a shanty... right near a inlet and under water spring... lucky them to get off without a problem...

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
By the way,  the Shot Shop on Rt 55 sold me 2 dozen minnows for $11.50.   What the others are charging is ridiculous.

Offline PWG

• IceShanty Rookie
Ill wait till next weekend.

Words of wisdom!!! :)

I drove Seven Lakes Drive this morning - Harriman is shut down: there is water over the ice at each and every lake, three to five feet of open water at the edges.
Does not look good at all - especially taken weather report into consideration.

Most likely I'll drive north for the next weekend.

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
After wednesday its getting cold again up in monticello, looks like ill be heading that way next weekend !

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Decided not to head out on the ice today, so I drove up to Horton to do a little fly fishing on the no-kill section of the Beaverkill. 2 other guys out, and we all didn't catch anything, although they told me they got two hits each. Slow yet enjoyable day on the water. Hoping to get on the ice later this week.

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
Qteam.. likewise.. I got to mention those fish pics are private for those who wanted to know where.. sorry but ice shanty is too big for such a fragile fishery.. it is private anyway.. and i'm only privileged to certain access to this lk. I doubt after this warm it will be safe until at least several freezing days. And that ain't looking good.. Harriman is also closed but I knew that had to be with the crazy warm front. AFor those hard core like loudmouth said.. head to the adk..yes head north young man ;D

Offline soulstream

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the flag pops, the b#$%t stops!!!
Well, hopefully there will be some safe ice by next weekend. Otherwise I'm heading north too

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
Thanks for the heads up on Slyvan. I've lived here and fished it my whole life too but went up to LG this past weekend and had a BLAST with the lakers and perch, even got my first eye through the ice on another local lake. There were 6/7" of ice on LG in the main body. Had a great weekend of fishing & firsts!  ;D

Offline pfd5623sg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dont eat the yellow snow... or ice... lmao
Thanks for the heads up on Slyvan. I've lived here and fished it my whole life too but went up to LG this past weekend and had a BLAST with the lakers and perch, even got my first eye through the ice on another local lake. There were 6/7" of ice on LG in the main body. Had a great weekend of fishing & firsts!  ;D
Great job ... one down many more to go... good luck the rest of the way...

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
fished today in Otisville.... there was 6 inches of hard black ice just a little of the shoreline was lost didn't even have to extend your step to get on. 4 of my tie downs on my shelter snapped in the wind the cheap ones clam used to use 3 years ago. Time for an upgrade!..... should've only put 2 on the outside and the other 2 on the inside live and learn I suppose. Some water coming up through pressure cracks that were made in the ice nothing worth freaking out about.... Cold returns Tuesday night should be good to go Wednesday on lakes that are not controlled by the state  ;D Oh yea almost forgot 9 perch all between 12" and 14" probably had about 50 flags but they would take it out 2 turns and drop it very finicky today must've been from the storm front that went through yesterday. Better than sitting at home

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Next weeken I'm heading up to Great Sac. Hopefully I'll have the same luck on perch and maybe an eye or two.

Offline OldHunter Road

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his
Good Morning Everyone does anyone know if White Lake still  has safe ice after the rain storm this past weekend?
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his FLY

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
RE: White Lake, drove by yesterday and there was one guy out there fishing. Don't know what kind of ice he had but there was no open water or anything visible from 17B.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good Morning Everyone does anyone know if White Lake still  has safe ice after the rain storm this past weekend?

The lakes didn't lose much ice from the rain in general..... it's the shorelines that got hurt for the most part. Any lake that had 8 inches of ice prior to the rain will most likely be safe just drill some test holes on your way out or use a spud to make sure

Offline OldHunter Road

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you both for the update. I will give it a go this weekend maybe a little farther north I have a house just outside Liberty NY.  Its also a Holiday weekend so I want to get out there !!!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
FOR ALL YOU GUYS HEADING "NORTH" FOR THE WEEKEND......... Suggest you head just far enough North to be at Lake Huntington (in Cochecton, Sullivan County) on Sunday, Jan 19 for the 5th annual IceShanty SENY Get-together.

Come catch some fish, meet your fellow SE-NY neighbors, and have some fun !!!

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
hit a local lake in warwick and had 7 inches of ice. bite was slow till about half hour from dark. got some gills a perch and lost a reallly nice crappie at the whole. lake is very slick nice sliding all over.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hit a local lake in warwick and had 7 inches of ice. bite was slow till about half hour from dark. got some gills a perch and lost a reallly nice crappie at the whole. lake is very slick nice sliding all over.

only 7 inches there surprised it's not more..... That lakes been slow all year

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Anyone make it out today or tomorrow ? Let us know how the ice is please
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm hoping this thaw is over soon. We always seem to get one in January , but it's usually earlier in the month. 
The snow I can do without, but I want the ice.

Offline ColtsFan

• IceShanty Rookie
8" of ice on a small pond in cold spring yesterday.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm hoping this thaw is over soon. We always seem to get one in January , but it's usually earlier in the month. 
The snow I can do without, but I want the ice.

Anywhere that had 8" of ice before the rain on saturday is most likely safe.... I fished sunday on a lake that had 7" before the rain (friday) and after it (sunday) only lost half an inch to an inch.... everything that melts during the day is refreezing aka any water that was on top of the ice is freezing at night starting tonight.... these 40 degree days make great days to fish if you can get out there. Just bring a board incase the shoreline is shot. If I didn't have to work I'd be out there fishing and getting a tan!

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
the old man and the ice  , " oh ice ,, i grow tired and many times feel this in my hands and feet... i know you are out there ice.. i seen you before ice but my hands are tired ands getting older ice.. oh ice ,, if only you are strong and hard as black ice when i move this aching body to walk on you once again.. yes ice I know we will soon meet and do battle once again ;D with  this  old man and the ice

Offline lake simon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • look familiar
Shot Shop on rt 55 is where I get my bait

Offline OldHunter Road

• IceShanty Rookie
FOR ALL YOU GUYS HEADING "NORTH" FOR THE WEEKEND......... Suggest you head just far enough North to be at Lake Huntington (in Cochecton, Sullivan County) on Sunday, Jan 19 for the 5th annual IceShanty SENY Get-together.

Come catch some fish, meet your fellow SE-NY neighbors, and have some fun !!!

Offline OldHunter Road

• IceShanty Rookie
I will be there on Sunday I hope to meet everyone. I'm actually heading north on Friday morning to scout out a few lakes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.