New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095827 times)

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
I like to try new spots but won't risk trespassing, hoping this season Harriman park opens.. iceballs wants a meet, that wouldbe good but they do have a lot of restrictions such as no achohol beverages and sundown rules.. but Greenwood lk would be better for an ice meet .. there is limited parking and access without trespassing 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Just what we want to hear .... another 3-5 inches of snow on tuesday  :-\ :-\

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just what we want to hear.... another 3-5 inches of snow on tuesday
forecast is freeze weather ..  maybe another week  the  lks will  lock up

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
forecast is freeze weather ..  maybe another week  the  lks will  lock up

with all this snow = junk ice.... I wish the lakes/ponds around me that I normally fish were still wide open.... I think my cousin and I are going to try a pond that usually locks up early thursday or friday.... hopefully there's enough ice

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
calling for my ride now. ill be on my favorite lake today. its gonna be windy so i am bringing the pac shak. dont expect to catch alot but need to walk on water...   been too long! i will report measured thickness this evening.... :icefish:
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline numinous

• IceShanty Rookie
  • When the going gets tough the tough go fishing!
Warming up to almost 50 by the end of the week with rain. >:(

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
Warming up to almost 50 by the end of the week with rain. >:(
I know it sucks!! But it's still going to be below freezing at night! And it will be 30 again right after the 50 degree weather. It will be soon enough!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Up by me not as high of temp ....my worry is the predicted snow ..possible 3-5 in for Tues atop of the 10-12 already ....with very lil ice on the lakes 3-6 inches in places ...gonna make for a sloppy mess cause of the weight of the snow... if you are able to venture out ...plus on Friday some other system is working toward my area .....was looking real good there ...now not as much .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
More snow is on the way but I think Sullivan county is going to be fine for this weekend. I will use caution on the deeper lakes but they should be safe by this weekend. Best to use a test hole and not venture out if less than five inches of solid black ice. I am going to guess 5 to 6 inches by weekend for most lakes from Monticello on up. Bossjigs must be cleaning fish, hope he has a good ice report today ;D

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
I hope you right snowden , today I was driving by White Lake and half it's open water , same on Toronto res. very surprise after this last week low temps.
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Honestly the quick warm-up/rain will be the best thing for us.... melt all the snow and shouldn't hurt the ice that much... all of that equals good hard ice

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Honestly the quick warm-up/rain will be the best thing for us.... melt all the snow and shouldn't hurt the ice that much... all of that equals good hard ice
I sure hope so!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Thank you for the information Hardwater Diehard . Just for your and others knowledge check with one of the Mods. before posting any contest info. the contest must meet certain conditions to be posted on Ice Shanty. I believe both of these contests meet the requirements. Also near the bottom of page that lists all the communities is one labled Ice fishing events contest info. can be posted there look for proper State location before posting. It was nice to meet you this past Saturday HardWater Diehard thank you again for your work organizing the preseason meeting.
Snowden I agree Lakes Tiorotti or Slivermine in Harriman State park would be great locations for a gathering both have good size parking areas. Unfortunately the Palisades Inter State Park Commission (PIPC) which manages both Harriman and Sterling Forest State Park have a policy of 6 inch minimum of ice before they will open certain lakes for ice fishing. In recent years due to budget cuts they check ice conditions less frequently many times only one small pond in Sterling has been open for fishing. The no alcohol policy and dusk park closing may deter some members from coming to any gathering held at either location. The PIPC. also manages Bear MNT. State park-Hessian Lake right behind Bear MTN. Inn.    I will look up phone numbers for Sterling Forest visitors center and Lake Tiorotti field office in H.S.P. and post later today or tomorrow for everyone use and knowledge call before going to any of these parks especially if driving any distance. Davis Sporting goods on rt.17 north in Sloatsburg is the closet bait shop to all the parks I will look up their number and post it with the other phone numbers .
Steve

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
OK report:

ice is 2 1/2-3 inches black and 1-2 white. BUT drill a hole and your standing in 2 inches of water now!!!   IT NEEDS THIS RAIN TO SET THE TOP DOWN TO GET SOLID!!!! now we need to see how much snow adds today.

the bite was worked for today. i kept 7 nice gills and 2 perch. let got 10 or so dinks.

solo fish dont stay together...

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
As far as Lake Tiorotti goes if you have commercial plates on your truck like I do you Cannot Drive on seven lakes drive without getting a ticket. Walt

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Possibly walking on water tomorrow! However with 47*/43* saturday and 64*/42* on sunday then highs in the 30's and lows in the 20's...PERFECT! Get rid of that snow, melt that junk ice and refreeze into black hard ice. Just keep away the wind and rain.... showers will be okay

Also if you haven't voted for the background of the 2014 TeamNYIS badge go vote now! http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=263812.msg2759603;topicseen#new

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
BJ, Thanks for the report, I hoping to see for myself over the weekend.

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
As far as Lake Tiorotti goes if you have commercial plates on your truck like I do you Cannot Drive on seven lakes drive without getting a ticket. Walt
I think even pickup trucks can't have caps so I called it they said it was fine.. I am not sure about commercial plates but , I asked  tiorotti circle and I was told not big commercial vehicles.. I can not be sure these days but I would call if in doubt.

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thank you for the information Hardwater Diehard . Just for your and others knowledge check with one of the Mods. before posting any contest info. the contest must meet certain conditions to be posted on Ice Shanty. I believe both of these contests meet the requirements. Also near the bottom of page that lists all the communities is one labled Ice fishing events contest info. can be posted there look for proper State location before posting. It was nice to meet you this past Saturday HardWater Diehard thank you again for your work organizing the preseason meeting.
Snowden I agree Lakes Tiorotti or Slivermine in Harriman State park would be great locations for a gathering both have good size parking areas. Unfortunately the Palisades Inter State Park Commission (PIPC) which manages both Harriman and Sterling Forest State Park have a policy of 6 inch minimum of ice before they will open certain lakes for ice fishing. In recent years due to budget cuts they check ice conditions less frequently many times only one small pond in Sterling has been open for fishing. The no alcohol policy and dusk park closing may deter some members from coming to any gathering held at either location. The PIPC. also manages Bear MNT. State park-Hessian Lake right behind Bear MTN. Inn.    I will look up phone numbers for Sterling Forest visitors center and Lake Tiorotti field office in H.S.P. and post later today or tomorrow for everyone use and knowledge call before going to any of these parks especially if driving any distance. Davis Sporting goods on rt.17 north in Sloatsburg is the closet bait shop to all the parks I will look up their number and post it with the other phone numbers .
Steve

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
Steve

I have fished both open and hardwater in Harriman for over thirty seasons. I wish to fish it this season..I hope for ice this season in Harriman

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Possibly walking on water tomorrow! However with 47*/43* saturday and 64*/42* on sunday then highs in the 30's and lows in the 20's...PERFECT! Get rid of that snow, melt that junk ice and refreeze into black hard ice. Just keep away the wind and rain.... showers will be okay

Also if you haven't voted for the background of the 2014 TeamNYIS badge go vote now! http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=263812.msg2759603;topicseen#new
Hope your right loudmouth, If that snow does'nt melt quick enough-we will be stuck with weak ice 

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hope your right loudmouth, If that snow does'nt melt quick enough-we will be stuck with weak ice

yeah but at least hopefully it gets cold and stays cold after the warm weather!

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
does anyone know how the ice is at highland lake?

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
Agreed, hoping these temps are a good thing, melt this snow!  ;D

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Has anyone been to Chodikee Lake lately? If so, is there any safe ice?

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
my fishing partner has been to highland. he says there is open water there still...

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Before I forget below are the phone numbers for Sterling forest visitors center, Lake Tiorotti fielid office in Harriman state park and Davis Sport Shop in Sloatsburg,NY. .

Sterling Forest  (845) -351=5907          Lake Tiorotti field office (845)-351-2568         Davis Sport Shop   (845)753-2198

Also here is the number for Winding Hills Park off of rt.17k ,park straddles Town of Crawford -Town of Montgomery line . Only larger main lake is open when ice is ruled safe part of Orange county park system. The lake is 40 acres in size mainly Blue Gills, Sunfish and Yellow Perch.
 Winding Hills Park ranger station  (845)-457-4018                  The closet locations for bait are Tom's off of rt.17m in Fair Oaks,NY. and Thruway Sporting Goods (Market) at the foot of Oak Street in Walden.

Steve

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
Before I forget below are the phone numbers for Sterling forest visitors center, Lake Tiorotti fielid office in Harriman state park and Davis Sport Shop in Sloatsburg,NY. .

Sterling Forest  (845) -351=5907          Lake Tiorotti field office (845)-351-2568         Davis Sport Shop   (845)753-2198

Also here is the number for Winding Hills Park off of rt.17k ,park straddles Town of Crawford -Town of Montgomery line . Only larger main lake is open when ice is ruled safe part of Orange county park system. The lake is 40 acres in size mainly Blue Gills, Sunfish and Yellow Perch.
 Winding Hills Park ranger station  (845)-457-4018                  The closet locations for bait are Tom's off of rt.17m in Fair Oaks,NY. and Thruway Sporting Goods (Market) at the foot of Oak Street in Walden.
thanks for the phone numbers and good info Steve  I am sure it will be after new years for any safe ice in Harriman Park .. I cam not sure if I seen on the weather channel this am 5 day forecast showed 701 degrees for highs in somerset nj om Sunday? I wonder now if this recent freeze will hold after the weekend? I am hoping to  be drilling out a few holes at my usual haunts this weekend
Steve

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just read in the paper that someone fell thru the ice in the North Arm of Greenwood Lake yesterday & had to be rescueded by  The fire department. It didn't say if he was fishing or what he was doing out there. LETS BE CAREFULL OUT THERE GUYS. NO FISH IS WORTH IT ! Walt

Offline snowden

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just read in the paper that someone fell thru the ice in the North Arm of Greenwood Lake yesterday & had to be rescueded by  The fire department. It didn't say if he was fishing or what he was doing out there. LETS BE CAREFULL OUT THERE GUYS. NO FISH IS WORTH IT ! Walt
no doubt about it i won't bother if ice is less 5 inches ,,I doubt this weekend is  a go anywhere south of Monticello . Whatever ice existing will melt fast with high temps

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.