New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095771 times)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
apparently I'll be one of 15 others so we shall see but my tip-ups will be rigged for perch/trout we'll see what happens...

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
       maybe I will find where the perch are hiding this morning  off to white lake ... :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
checked walton this morning next to vfw. just went a few feet out had couple inches crap ice i could chip away with my scooper and 3 inches of good ice underneath

Offline 4everlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
I wonder if the thickness of the ice on Walton from where you checked was because its relatively shallow there.  Did you see any signs of previous activity further out?

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
there were some prints and test wholes but didnt go very far out

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
all that water was not from snowmelt. what it is is coming up the holes cause of the weight on the ice...
thanks for tip.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
drove by glenmere today there were 6 people out there fishing
How thick is the ice? Is there much snow left on the ice? I have been up in college so I haven't had time to check. Might head to glenmere Sunday depending on the ice.

Offline jef

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello everyone
       just wondering if anybody knows how the ice is on glenmere
                                                                                                         thanks
                                                                                                         jef

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hello everyone
       just wondering if anybody knows how the ice is on glenmere
                                                                                                         thanks
                                                                                                         jef
How thick is the ice? Is there much snow left on the ice? I have been up in college so I haven't had time to check. Might head to glenmere Sunday depending on the ice.

I did not check the ice myself but there were 6 people out from the boat launch. There was some snow/slush on the ice didn't go down to look but that is what it looked like to me

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
I think florida use the water from Glenmere as there drinking water. I have seen people using gas augers out there. Can or cant you use gas augers there?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think florida use the water from Glenmere as there drinking water. I have seen people using gas augers out there. Can or cant you use gas augers there?

Florida does get their drinking water from Glenmere... The DEC website says no gas motors.... I would check for signs at glenmere lake... I usually use a hand auger but at times I have used a gas one there.

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Loudmouth. I dont recall seeing any signs there.

Offline flounderman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • member since Dec 2005
Hey fellas, signs post no gas motors on the lake. I would not want to have one when the DEC roll around for their long checklist. Play dumb or take your chances. And yes a lot of folks rely on the lake for drinking water.

Are gas augers really necessary in our area? I could see if we had 12" or more.  I turn my auger 10 times tops to finish my hole. A spud will even work well in these current conditions. Glenmere my guess is iffy at best right now. I was out there late afternoon Sunday and the edges were not good then in certain areas.

The lake has been sucking the last few weeks. There are better places to fish for sure....

I was out on White Lake for a bit Tues. It was way to windy for my liking but the lake has plenty of good ice.

Offline jef

• IceShanty Rookie
thanks for the info loudmouth
                                                       jef

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Hey fellas, signs post no gas motors on the lake. I would not want to have one when the DEC roll around for their long checklist. Play dumb or take your chances. And yes a lot of folks rely on the lake for drinking water.

Are gas augers really necessary in our area? I could see if we had 12" or more.  I turn my auger 10 times tops to finish my hole. A spud will even work well in these current conditions. Glenmere my guess is iffy at best right now. I was out there late afternoon Sunday and the edges were not good then in certain areas.

The lake has been sucking the last few weeks. There are better places to fish for sure....

I was out on White Lake for a bit Tues. It was way to windy for my liking but the lake has plenty of good ice.

LOL! a couple of years ago. i was drilling through 21 inches on Lake Welch! happens often enough. :P
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Hambletonian

• IceShanty Rookie
A few years ago I checked with the Village of Florida and they said it had been discussed but no official decision had been made about gas augers. The sign at the gate says no gas motors, which is the case as far as boats go.

I use a gas auger, but considering it is a reservoir i leave my gas can in my car, and drill a bunch of holes right away and put the auger back in my car. I do not believe there is any state rule at all about gas augers on reservoirs, the only issue would be with the Village of Florida. Considering that the water plant is right there, it would be extremely easy of them to stop gas auger use if they wanted to.

Keep in mind for years there was no real access for boats, so the only gas engines were on augers and there was no rule against it. Only when the boat ramp was opened did they specify no gas motors. Which is no great loss because it is real hard to keep any motor clear in that gunk once summer rolls in.

My cousin broke out a new propane powered auger the other day and that sucker was sweet.  It is not exactly petite, but worked great. I'd be curious to know if NYC Watershed folks are OK with propane.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
went fishing today and no fish but played around with the panorama on my camera

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
I fished white lake today to do some scouting for the king of the ice ... I did fine some perch a lot of dinks , only 4 keepers  nothing that would win the king of the ice ... nice for fillet o perch sandwiches though...  ;D :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
went fishing today and no fish but played around with the panorama on my camera

(Image removed from quote.)
sweet picture loudmouth! What lake is that ?? Doesn't look familiar lol.

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline 4everlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
Greenwood Lake is having the Annual Ice Festival Feb 15-17.  Expect alot of atv's and sled activity especially Sat and Sun buzzing around.  The focus of the event will be on the west shore of the northend of the lake.  Be Careful.

Offline Hambletonian

• IceShanty Rookie
Anybody fish Greenwood since the warmup? Nobody on Glenmere this morning...ice looks decidely crunchy.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anybody fish Greenwood since the warmup? Nobody on Glenmere this morning...ice looks decidely crunchy.

now that you have access to the reports/conditions board check out the Greenwood/Orange thread you'll find my post from last night

Offline loustru

• Team IceShanty Regular
Greenwood Lake is having the Annual Ice Festival Feb 15-17.  Expect alot of atv's and sled activity especially Sat and Sun buzzing around.  The focus of the event will be on the west shore of the northend of the lake.  Be Careful.
Burp!!!I'll drink to that at the Breezy

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!

Had another Crappie night. :)
👮👮👮

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Nice fish WP  :clap:
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
To all those who maybe going to the King of The Ice contest good luck out on the ice. Wolfpak nice bunch of crappies.
Steve

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
    I will be going to the king of the ice in am ...good luck to all...
images.jpeg

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'll be there in the am as well.... don't really want to go but I'll be there

also got my bait at Tom's Bait shop since everyone else was out of bait and very disappointed got 3 dozen and already had 10 or so die already not a happy camper... never had bait die this fast on me before the last batch I got (not from tom's) lasted 10 days and were very lively still

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anybody know of any baitshops that will be open for the king of the ice say around 7 a.m????????? I know sports nuts is now gone who used to be open for it. Did antithetical baitshop take its place????

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
 Tom's told me he is opening up at 3am sun. for guys going to king of the ice ...I got my bait at Tom's on sat I just check them & mine are all just fine...
images.jpeg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.