New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095922 times)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
I posted this on the IS SOUTHEASTERN GET TOGETHER forum  (top of page), but will repeat it here for anyone who isinterested.

THE GET-TOGETHER IS ON MARCH 2, 2013  and is going to be held at LAKE HUNTINGTON (in Cochecton, NY) Sullivan County at 7:00 AM   We'll be in sight of the DEC access ramp, so don't worry about finding us !!

BRING YOUR FRIENDS -----  BRING FOOD ----  BRING DRINKS ---  COME PREPARED TO HAVE FUN !!!!

RAIN / SNOW DATE:  SUNDAY, MARCH 3, 2013.

ok
I know that some of us would prefer Sunday...but don't change it on account of me.....

Offline 4everlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
good to here that you were able to get out. As for harriman I doubt they will open any lakes even of it gets to 10 below..... They don't like to open lakes after they had already opened and then closed. Just curious how long you have been ice fishing for. I live relatively close to pearl river and its good to get to know other people who ice fish. Doesn't seem to be to many in rockland. I think on iceshanty its only Pooley, yourself and me.

Leland

I spoke to the staff at Sterling Forest on Sunday 02/03 about ice conditions.  They said their worker fell through checking Little Dam the day before.  Don't forsee it opening anytime soon because it was still closed today.

Offline 4everlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the following: I don't recall anyone ever ice fishing the northern most part of Greenwood Lake (north of the 17A bridge).  I realize what the main lake offers, but is there any reason you wouldn't fish that section other than access to it. Ie. Food availability, structure, migration, etc. 

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
good to here that you were able to get out. As for harriman I doubt they will open any lakes even of it gets to 10 below..... They don't like to open lakes after they had already opened and then closed. Just curious how long you have been ice fishing for. I live relatively close to pearl river and its good to get to know other people who ice fish. Doesn't seem to be to many in rockland. I think on iceshanty its only Pooley, yourself and me.

Leland
LOL! 9 of us in my Fire Company alone!  ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
Just curious how long you have been ice fishing for. I live relatively close to pearl river and its good to get to know other people who ice fish. Doesn't seem to be to many in rockland. I think on iceshanty its only Pooley, yourself and me.
Leland

I started ice fishing when I was about 12 or 13..Great to know others who are local, absolutley.
It is what it is....

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict

LOL!
It is what it is....

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
guess whose still alive and getting ready to crawl back on the ice?.... ;D...whatz happening folks ? not many fishy pics on here... ;) :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

onice2013

guess whose still alive and getting ready to crawl back on the ice?.... ;D...whatz happening folks ? not many fishy pics on here... ;) :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Say, holehawg, don't believe we ever met but read about your major heart operation, long may you run man ;D just be careful if and when it is too cold out there, keep the body warm (hands/feet/etc.) ;D  It has been a tough season finding safe ice , but Sullivan should be fine. I was hoping Harriman would finally open but it is still closed! lol, Gas is going up so I must choose my trips upstate wisely..lol  gl and may you make a full recovery., John

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
dont believe we have met but it will be a pleasure to fish with ya.....thanks fer words on the heart thingy....trying to get ready to go back out...might go fer a bit this sun...darn blood thinners do make me cold but i will figure it out...gonna do the lake huntington thingy so maybe i will meet some of ya....looking forward to seeing the suffern gang ..iceballs...buddy topher and all ya folks....only thing that really sucks is i gotta lay off the beer abit...damn meds.... :'( :'( :'(

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks iceballs, I thought it was private. Maybe I'll try Highland this weekend and catch some dink perch.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the following: I don't recall anyone ever ice fishing the northern most part of Greenwood Lake (north of the 17A bridge).  I realize what the main lake offers, but is there any reason you wouldn't fish that section other than access to it. Ie. Food availability, structure, migration, etc.

looking at a satellite map it looks more of a swamp than anything else.... and after checking my contour map of the lake it is shallow in there  between 0-4ft

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I spoke to the staff at Sterling Forest on Sunday 02/03 about ice conditions.  They said their worker fell through checking Little Dam the day before.  Don't forsee it opening anytime soon because it was still closed today.
If I'm not mistaken little dam is all of 3 feet deep. I don't know maybe I'm getting it mixed up with another lake. I've fished it before and the deepest i could find was maybe 4 feet max.....

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pooley have you had the pleasure of responding to Good Sam for a fire alarm ???? I swear everytime I'm at work someone smokes a Cigarette in the bathroom and the alarms go off. I'd really like to know who the genius is who put smoke heads in the bathrooms on a detox/rehab floor... ??? besides that the steam from the showers sets it off all the time. the only goood thing is  At least half the time we are not connected to 44 Control because of the work being done so the call does not get sent to you guys.

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

onice2013

looking at a satellite map it looks more of a swamp than anything else.... and after checking my contour map of the lake it is shallow in there  between 0-4ft
All I remember was when I use to launch near chapel island closest to the end of the marina, I always checked that side on rt and nobody really ever fished it above the bridge,, it is really too choked with rotting greenwood lake weed anyway lol

Offline OldHunter Road

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his

I am also in Rockland Garnerville as soon they re-open the local lakes I will be out there. I'm heading to my house in the Catskills I'm going icefishing for a couple of days.
The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his FLY

onice2013

Don't give up hope on Harriman!  Still plenty of cold between now and next week ;D

Offline hightide52

• IceShanty Rookie
i called the ranger station@tiorati on monday they said one of the smaller lakes nawahunta was open. i took a ride today and they told me no fishing .... what a waste!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
lol yeah well get used to it, thats harriman...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'll be at greenwood lake tomorrow gunning for some eyes and muskie

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
home now from maine, had a little ice time white perch only ...had a nice time looking to get out on weekend ..
images.jpeg

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
hey loudmouth any wallys today ? how was the ice on the north end ny side let me no please thanks

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  Has any body hit winding hills park? I called last weekend & they said they were not open yet..They want 6"of ice...
images.jpeg

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Pooley have you had the pleasure of responding to Good Sam for a fire alarm ???? I swear everytime I'm at work someone smokes a Cigarette in the bathroom and the alarms go off. I'd really like to know who the genius is who put smoke heads in the bathrooms on a detox/rehab floor... ??? besides that the steam from the showers sets it off all the time. the only goood thing is  At least half the time we are not connected to 44 Control because of the work being done so the call does not get sent to you guys.

Good Sam is a PITA! same guy smoking in the shower, and the law requires the detectors! i even worked there.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
So yesterday, when I got to the pond I go ice fishing on, I realized I forgot my bait. >:(
Another guy who was just pulling up and I asked if he had any, and in exchange I would give him a few minnows which have been in short supply at some places. He said he didnt have much time, so he would not be needing any minnows but I was welcome to any of the bait he had. Just wanted to say a big thanks to Mike from Q Team in Rockland. An Ice Shanty Member and all-around great guy.
It is what it is....

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good Sam is a PITA! same guy smoking in the shower, and the law requires the detectors! i even worked there.
  Law requires them in the bathroom?? I know that they have to be in the room but the only floor that has smoke heads in the bathroom are on the 3rd floor detox. Yeah I know its a PITA lol that's hey I feel bad when you guts come because its never anything. Although there was a small electrical fire in the kitchen a few months ago..  :o

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So yesterday, when I got to the pond I go ice fishing on, I realized I forgot my bait. >:(
Another guy who was just pulling up and I asked if he had any, and in exchange I would give him a few minnows which have been in short supply at some places. He said he didnt have much time, so he would not be needing any minnows but I was welcome to any of the bait he had. Just wanted to say a big thanks to Mike from Q Team in Rockland. An Ice Shanty Member and all-around great guy.
what pond where you out on corndog? A local pond? I have a few myself but since it had gotten warm I'm a little nervous to venture out lol.

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
had a good day today pics to follow....
got out there a little late today 6:30 missed the walleye bite but little did I know hours after taking this photo my day would change

So after getting skunked on the eyes I set up my tip-ups 4 steel leader and 1 non-steel leader and after about a hour or so I go check my tip-ups and as I'm walking to my last one (the one with the non steel leader) the flag goes up I go over and give a tug and that's no perch..... needless to say after a hour or so fight she comes through the hole.... a 44" muskie (22" girth) roughly 26.5lbs according to the calculator.....

thanks to onice2013 and the other 2 guys for taking pictures and a 45 min. video! that started about 20 minutes or so after the flag went up!

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
congrats really great looking fish........

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Thanks... oh, You weren't talking to me...
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
what pond where you out on corndog? A local pond? I have a few myself but since it had gotten warm I'm a little nervous to venture out lol.

Iceboy..I was on Laurel Meadow North,still around 7-8" thick...the only thing open that is flagged..tons of Gills and Pickerel. Is fine for me..I hope to get up north this weekend.
It is what it is....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.