New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095974 times)

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
        nice fish jager61    you have some nice ones this year ... I am off to maine for some ice time maybe, I can put a few trout on the ice...
images.jpeg

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks for the kind words guys! Iceman, the fish came from West Branch Res in Carmel. Later in the day a 10lb 7oz brute was caught after I left! WB is hot!

Mike

Offline Iceman23kids

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks jager61.  I have to check it out. One more question please? What lbs leader do you use? I Usually catch little stockies and 2-6 lbs work great but those fish you caught could my little trout for a snack. Any info on depth too ? Thanks brother and fish on.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks jager61.  I have to check it out. One more question please? What lbs leader do you use? I Usually catch little stockies and 2-6 lbs work great but those fish you caught could my little trout for a snack. Any info on depth too ? Thanks brother and fish on.

PM sent!

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hey mike don't give up all your secrets! you will have tough competition to deal with. looks like you guys had a pretty good day on the big O

Steve

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walton is public and the state stocks trout in the spring. There are people who ice fish it allot due to always seeing the same shacks out on it. The lake takes the longest to freeze over due to the amount of wind. Right now it is locked up just don't know how nmany inches it is. Last year one guy did good with catching the holdover trout and caught a real beauty of one. I have caught some fish but never had a great day out there. however only gone a handful of times

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hey mike don't give up all your secrets! you will have tough competition to deal with. looks like you guys had a pretty good day on the big O

Steve

I don't have any secrets Steve! I do whatever Big Jim and The System tell me as prescribed in the Team White Pimple Policy and Procedure Manual! LOL! Was an awesome time as always on Otsego.

Mike

onice2013

Walton is public and the state stocks trout in the spring. There are people who ice fish it allot due to always seeing the same shacks out on it. The lake takes the longest to freeze over due to the amount of wind. Right now it is locked up just don't know how nmany inches it is. Last year one guy did good with catching the holdover trout and caught a real beauty of one. I have caught some fish but never had a great day out there. however only gone a handful of times
I stopped on rt back from Sullivan, Walton looks locked up and seen a lot of foot traffic several yads out from the public access. I didn't see anyone and didn't bother to fish today, I had to straight days but nothing to show for it , lol,m weekend was slow where we fished AGAIN!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
This Friday Im going in to have a couple bone spurs in my shoulder ground down.  That puts me out of hole drilling for a while.  If anyone feels like drilling a few holes for a gimpy tag-along, please let me know

Im in Dutchess, and will travel into Ulster, Putnam and upper Westchester.  I tip-up and jig. 

Thank you,

Kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
Not sure who, where or when..but my buddy sent this pic to me. All I know is that it was on a minnow..and I am jealous....
It is what it is....

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Not sure who, where or when..but my buddy sent this pic to me. All I know is that it was on a minnow..and I am jealous....

that's a baby...

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
that's a baby...
(Image removed from quote.)

NICE!!! How many#'s..and details! What did you get him on..tip up, jigging..and locations. but only if you want to let us know... ;D
It is what it is....

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
NICE!!! How many#'s..and details! What did you get him on..tip up, jigging..and locations. but only if you want to let us know... ;D

let's see.... it was new years eve 2009, around 9am in the morning snow is falling pretty heavy. I just got finished setting up my tip-ups (we got out late that day). I was talking to my cousin when my I notice one of my flags are up I jog over and lift the tip-up out of the water let some line out and begin to feel for him. I gently pull and feel a big tug and set the hook. The fight is on! I believe I have a fairly nice pickerel on the line the way he is fighting. I keep pulling in and pulling in and next thing I know it's head is starting to come through the hole. I say to my self.... that ain't no pickerel. Couple pics and some high fives and back down the hole she goes... no measurements but my cousin and I both figure around 8 lbs...

onice2013

Nice  trophy size bucketmouth lm, looks every bit of 8lbs That is a trophy of a life  time size fish ;D

Offline ruswonder

• IceShanty Rookie
thanks icefisherman10990 and onice2013 for the info on Walton Lake. will give it a try sometime.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
no measurements but my cousin and I both figure around 8 lbs...

Great story! My buddies brother was saying the guy who caught that one said it had to be 10 lbs.  :cookoo:
Yours looks like it was swimming in a retention pond of Indian Point!!! I have a personal best, not thru the ice, of 7.4 lbs. Used the length and girth to figure it out..it was big. Good luck out there this year. Hope you get another like that hog...
It is what it is....

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great story! My buddies brother was saying the guy who caught that one said it had to be 10 lbs.  :cookoo:
Yours looks like it was swimming in a retention pond of Indian Point!!! I have a personal best, not thru the ice, of 7.4 lbs. Used the length and girth to figure it out..it was big. Good luck out there this year. Hope you get another like that hog...

I just want one like that during the season

onice2013

Today was freezing out and no sun, I guess we will find out soon how many lakes froze over enough since the start of February.

onice2013

;D did a search for "Harriman"  and it brought me here ::) lol

Offline QTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
Harriman still red flagged - Only laurel meadow north open in Sterling Forest.
[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2n1c5jc.png[\img]

onice2013

Harriman still red flagged - Only laurel meadow north open in Sterling Forest.
saying big winter storm now for this weekend on the weather channel for upstate ny and new England. Yeah , dead of winter and not one lake in Harriman  open  ???

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
saying big winter storm now for this weekend on the weather channel for upstate ny and new England. Yeah , dead of winter and not one lake in Harriman  open  ???
some of the lakes were opened for one day and then it got warm and rained and that was the end of that. They will not open any lakes in harriman for the remainder of the season. Once they close they almost never get the green flag again.  Hoping sterling opens up some more though. At least they actually are on top of checking.

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hit Laurel Meadow North today..just my buddy and I, no one else in sight(granted it is a puddle). 6 pickerel's on tip ups, one yellow perch and at least 20 Gills. Largest was 8". I was only able to fish for about 3 1/2hrs. Still a great time. As far as Harriman, I plan on calling tomorrow. The message on the machine mentioned it was from the third..a bit behind they are....
It is what it is....

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i bounce all over west branch today. average ice that i saw was 4 didnt measure every hole. i did see 4 1/2 in 1   lol

had fun with the dink yellow perch with my spoons. its always fun ti try new water with my search lures...

kept 4 but 2 were gonna die so home they came...

learned alot about fishing the trout today. hope to put it to use next trip... lol
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
trout are easy... last year I limited out within 30 minutes every time I went.... got really boring actually the more it happened lol

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
arnt you special... loudmouth
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hit Laurel Meadow North today..just my buddy and I, no one else in sight(granted it is a puddle). 6 pickerel's on tip ups, one yellow perch and at least 20 Gills. Largest was 8". I was only able to fish for about 3 1/2hrs. Still a great time. As far as Harriman, I plan on calling tomorrow. The message on the machine mentioned it was from the third..a bit behind they are....
good to here that you were able to get out. As for harriman I doubt they will open any lakes even of it gets to 10 below..... They don't like to open lakes after they had already opened and then closed. Just curious how long you have been ice fishing for. I live relatively close to pearl river and its good to get to know other people who ice fish. Doesn't seem to be to many in rockland. I think on iceshanty its only Pooley, yourself and me.

Leland

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
This Friday Im going in to have a couple bone spurs in my shoulder ground down.  That puts me out of hole drilling for a while.  If anyone feels like drilling a few holes for a gimpy tag-along, please let me know

Im in Dutchess, and will travel into Ulster, Putnam and upper Westchester.  I tip-up and jig. 

Thank you,

Kb

KB....you don't have to ask twice.....I'll be glad to punch some holes for you anytime.  Do you know if Sylvan Lake iced up this year???  It isn't always reliable!  Thinking about West Branch or Sodom for this coming weekend if things work out.  Stay in touch if you're interested.

Rodger

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Is lake Devenoge open to the public? How far Highland lake is it?

Lake DeVenogue is totally Private.... you must know someone who willl authorize you to be there.  Rules are pretty strict also.....you can catch Trout, but cannot take them home (C&R only).  We have a friend who lives there, but we ahve not fished it this season.....yet !!
Highland Lake is about ten minutes away, for those interested.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I posted this on the IS SOUTHEASTERN GET TOGETHER forum  (top of page), but will repeat it here for anyone who isinterested.

THE GET-TOGETHER IS ON MARCH 2, 2013  and is going to be held at LAKE HUNTINGTON (in Cochecton, NY) Sullivan County at 7:00 AM   We'll be in sight of the DEC access ramp, so don't worry about finding us !!

BRING YOUR FRIENDS -----  BRING FOOD ----  BRING DRINKS ---  COME PREPARED TO HAVE FUN !!!!

RAIN / SNOW DATE:  SUNDAY, MARCH 3, 2013.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.