New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095958 times)

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
hope your right about Harriman

onice2013

BC, I know how much you enjoy ice fishing but trust me, unless you are prepared for night fishing and have a place to shack, it is simply too brutal up there at night even when properly equipped, (like a heater in a flipshanty) I did it and I will tell you it is much morefun during the daytime. gl 

Offline john23

• IceShanty Rookie
Greenwood lake was almost iced over. It will probably not be ready for this weekend.

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
BC, I know how much you enjoy ice fishing but trust me, unless you are prepared for night fishing and have a place to shack, it is simply too brutal up there at night even when properly equipped, (like a heater in a flipshanty) I did it and I will tell you it is much morefun during the daytime. gl
I've done it 4 or 5 times before and i am well equipped-i also plan on fishing a few hundred feet from the car and making trips back and forth, I also thank you for your concern

Offline QTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
Also check Rockland Lake when calling for Harriman conditions.
Fishing was decent there last time Harriman locked up .
[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2n1c5jc.png[\img]

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....

Sent to me via a friend..fingers crossed!!!!!
It is what it is....

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
                        I went out on glenmere today , the shore line was soft almost broke through
                        by the 1 boat launch . I did manage to dill a few test holes .  so I went back to
                        other boat launch & that was soft, I went down the shore line & found a spot to
                        get out drilling holes all the way ... I was out about 100 yards & when I saw a man
                        comming but he was'nt fishing I had to yell to him he was going to walk out on
                        the soft ice  told him to follow my tracks & he will be ok ... he was a newspaper
                        reporter he took some pics & we talk icefishing for a few & he left ... I didn't 
                        catch any keepers & I left at 1pm... :icefish:

images.jpeg

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hopefully glenmere will be safer by weeks end wish i could do tourney but I'll be working 16 hours that day

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
                        by the 1 boat launch . I did manage to dill a few test holes .  so I went back to
                        get out drilling holes all the way ... I was out about 100 yards & when I saw a man
                        the soft ice  told him to follow my tracks & he will be ok ... he was a newspaper
                        reporter he took some pics & we talk icefishing for a few & he left ... I didn't 

Saw you're test holes by the launch, me and my cousin checked the ice at around 330 and we will be fishing at 445am... the shore ice is soft but it supported both me and my cousin and only made noise... should be nice and hard in the morning.

Sent to me via a friend..fingers crossed!!!!!

as far as the tournament goes I am good friends with the guy running it and he said "it WILL be on." If I hear that it won't I will post on here Friday but I believe that unless we get a significant amount of snow the tournament will be on.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict

I am hoping it locks up by weeks end. I am also hoping that Sterling does the same. They seem to open earlier than Harrimen. Glad to hear someone was out fishing!
It is what it is....

onice2013

Anybody have  a topo of Glenmere ??? I do not notice much on the nydec site, is it rockland  or orange county? tia, john

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good morning everyone, Pooley thank you for the info. on Harriman State park it has been a few years since I last ice fished in the park. Corndog welcome hopefully you are correct and they will have the Florida contest. Glemere lake is in Orange county by the village of Florida Onice. Some one else will have to give you directions I have never fished the lake.
  As for Sterling Forest  they probably will open one of the Long Meadow ponds  one is rather small. Try giving Winding Hills Park a call the lake is only 40 acres. I posted the phone number back on page 249 or 250. Be mindful of the windchill factor.

Steve

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks Steve! That sign was outside the firehouse in town. A friend lives up that way and sent it to me because she thinks I am out of my mind to want to fish through a hole in the ice. We have had pretty good luck in Sterling. Alway a flag popping and able to coax one on the jig. Thanks for the info on Winding Hills..I want to check that out..looks good.
It is what it is....

Offline flounderman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • member since Dec 2005
I was out on glenmere Saturday in the heat wave. Not to my liking. edges were gone. Stayed close to shore. Saw one other group down by the spillover area. Not my favorite lake or pond in the area but worked in a pinch to shake the rust off the gear.

Hope this cold gives us some better lake opportunities

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
this cold well make ice,

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anybody have  a topo of Glenmere ??? I do not notice much on the nydec site, is it rockland  or orange county? tia, john

no contour map of glenmere....

Fished this am slow morning a whopping 2 fish.... will have pics up later

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
sounds like there will be 5 inches of ice by the end of this week!!!! and Friday only a little snow showers so sounds like we will be all out on glenmere this weekend!

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey loudmouth Howe thick was the ice this morning Abby better then yesterday

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
found about 6-7 inches she gave a good shake this morning as well must have been a big crack felt like a big wave came through. Boy was it cold though 7* when we started and 9* when we got off. Very slow day today maybe 4 flags nothing jigging

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
found about 6-7 inches she gave a good shake this morning as well must have been a big crack felt like a big wave came through. Boy was it cold though 7* when we started and 9* when we got off. Very slow day today maybe 4 flags nothing jigging

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
nice! cant wait!

Offline QTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
Can you use gas auger at glenmere or are they off limits like blue @ sterling forest?
[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2n1c5jc.png[\img]

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Can you use gas auger at glenmere or are they off limits like blue @ sterling forest?
a lot of guys do but you are not supposed to use one.

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
did anyone see this picture floating around.you might have recognized the guy.  http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/national_world/2013/01/23/sr-ledeart-fishing-0123-art-g0rlavh2-1.html

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
WE ARE NOT UPSTATE NY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hate when people think just because we are north of the city we are "upstate" *&%$ reporters

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
WE ARE NOT UPSTATE NY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hate when people think just because we are north of the city we are "upstate" *&%$ reporters
hahahah i know!

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>

Does anyone know how to get in touch with the people running the Highland Lake Ice Tourney ?

I tried calling the Sand Beach Bar and left a message but that was 2 weeks ago.  :-\

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
does anyone ice fish glenmere lake at night?

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Doug, we should get a letter in the mail soon . Last three year I got it around the first week in Feb but from what I have been told it will be Sat Feb 16
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
does anyone ice fish glenmere lake at night?

dont park in the park or you'll be locked in

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
dont park in the park or you'll be locked in
will not. if i go i will park by the pump house. will they give me a ticket? i was also wondering if anyone has good success there at night.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.