New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095897 times)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
you and Joe need to come down to suffern for some fun with the firehouse gang! you two need it! i'll have to get a date we can all agree on.

you have both our numbers....

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Pooley, let all know and we'll all hang
i will let all know! i set something up. >:D :icefish:
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Did you guys hear what happened on Lake Gleneida (Putnam County) today???

Seems a couple in a rowboat spotted a 6 year old girl floating in the lake, hanging onto what they thought was a log.  Upon approaching the girl, the "log" turned out to be a body!!  The deceased was the girl's baby-sitter....... the cops have no idea what happened (they were not in a boat).

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Associated Press
CARMEL, N.Y. — Boaters rescued a 6-year-old girl from a small reservoir north of New York City after finding her clinging to the floating corpse of a family friend who had taken her to the water to cool off, officials said Tuesday.

The cause of the woman's death was not yet known, and an autopsy was planned, said Carmel Police Chief Michael Johnson. He said she could have drowned or suffered a medical emergency while wading with the girl in Lake Gleneida.

The lake, about 730 yards at its widest, is part of New York City's water supply system, and swimming there is banned.

"She shouldn't have been in the lake," Johnson said.

The woman was identified as Pamela Kaner, 59, of Brewster. Police said she was caring for the girl while the girl's mother ran an errand.

The girl, whose name was not released, told police that Kaner took her into the water in the early afternoon Monday and was holding her when something went wrong.

The child had no life vest on and was crying as she clung to the woman's body in the middle of the lake late Monday afternoon, said Carter Strickland, commissioner of the New York City Department of Environmental Protection. The agency owns the lake.

Two men and a woman in a rowboat heard the girl crying for help around 5 p.m. and found her holding on to Kaner's body, Strickland said.

Johnson said that in his experience, "It's very unusual when a drowning victim doesn't sink. The body usually goes to the bottom and pops back up when it decomposes."

The boaters pulled the girl from the water, took her to shore and called police, officials said. She was treated at a hospital but was not seriously injured.

"I would say it was traumatic," Johnson said.

Kaner's body was retrieved by firefighters, who paddled out in a commandeered boat.

DEP spokesman Ted Timbers said no drinking water has been drawn from the lake for more than a year because it's part of a section that has been offline while a filtration plant is built in the Bronx.

The shore of the lake, which abuts the main road of the hamlet of Carmel, is littered with rowboats, most chained or cabled to trees. Johnson said the DEP grants permits for the boats. Signs on the shore say, "Recreation by permit. Entry for other purposes prohibited."

On Tuesday afternoon, only ducks and gulls were on the water.

Kerry Browne of Carmel, a house renovator, said, "On a nice day like this, anybody would like to jump in the lake, but you know the rules." He said he hoped the girl would be able to recover from "holding onto a body like that
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I grew up in Carmel, and fished that res quite offen. It's right in the middle of town, and hard to miss. I'd like to know the details. I wonder if they went in by the rail trail?
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Topher, thoughts and prayers to you and your family.  Sorry so late, just saw this.  :(
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Has anyone fished (hard/open water) Mombasha Lake in Monroe? or know anything about it

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Has anyone fished (hard/open water) Mombasha Lake in Monroe? or know anything about it

good fishing there, if you can get on the lake! it has no public access.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
good fishing there, if you can get on the lake! it has no public access.

Thanks pooley

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
hey if you get out can you shoot me a report. i work over at bjs in monroe and pass the lake everyday i work

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Any of us "Southerners" going to enter the NYS Pro/Am Ice Tournament???   How about it Topher, Holehawg, Pooley, KB, Hockey, etc., etc., ?????  It's way upstate for most of us, but, what the heck, it's only 3 times and we don't have that many tournaments of this quality to enter.  I'm in if I can get some company !!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hey if you get out can you shoot me a report. i work over at bjs in monroe and pass the lake everyday i work

I'm up at school now so probably wont have a chance till hardwater but will let you know

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>

I'd love to go myself but with the economy, job and gas prices I think I'll have to wait until next year. This season I'll be doing a lot of local fishing.

Hopefully all involved in running it will keep that in mind in case the turn out isn't as large as they expect. 

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hopefully all involved in running it will keep that in mind in case the turn out isn't as large as they expect.

That's what is unfortunate about the tournament... All the lakes are 3 or so hours away  :-\

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I wish I could, but I just don't have the time. Work and family constantly conspire against me.  Lol

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
ok whos getting thier augers ready, re-spooling lines, and sitting in the freezer???    THE TEMPS ARE ON THE DECLINE!!!!  times comming boys...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm getting ready for the montauk striper run and deer hunting. I use the lull between deer season to get my ice stuff out.

I repair all my stuff at the end of each season so its ready to go at the start of the next. All I need to do is tie on some fresh leaders with new hooks and I'm good to go.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Deer season first!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
well you can only hunt during daylight hours. gotta do something with the rest of the time!!!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just want to keep this thread somewhere near the top. 

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
well here we are up and running...

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
And waiting......

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
lol   same as every year...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
think the storm will hurt the ice?

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
well its nice to see pooley woke up!!! the only ice this storm is gonna hurt will be the ice in the stores/freezers...

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
well its nice to see pooley woke up!!! the only ice this storm is gonna hurt will be the ice in the stores/freezers...

Thats what Im worried about.  Warm beer - yuk!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
WATCH OUT YOU GUYS....... They're about to mandatory evacuate me and the Mrs.  Goinna be looking for someplace to run to......  anybody live high & dry ???

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Still waiting for 1 person to get hold of...IceBalls is alright, as well as the rest of the Suffern Crew....us up here in PA fared pretty well also....

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
glad to hear your ok topher. i made it through with power the whole time.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
           I made it tru the storm OK only lost power 1 day . I cant work in city job was under water
           I am catching up on chores & starting to get my gear out ..I had my shantie popped up in my
           garage last year & never got to use it ... cant wait to get out there this year.. :icefish:
images.jpeg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.