New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095909 times)

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shawn

I glad you were not ticketed today.... :)  The police officer definetly gave you a break today. I know people have received tickets in the past for tresspassing across from the firehouse and the opposite side of the lake coming in from the swamp. As Semperfi indicated the DEC does provide a contour map for highland lake which can be a little misleading for anyone not living up here. I wish there was public access but there is not. Maybe you could contact the NY DEC to try to get us all public access on Highland Lake. Please let us know if you get in touch with them and how you make out. Until then please let people know that they are risking a ticket if they don't own property or have a property owners permission to legally access this lake.

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Topher,

I was really looking forward to putting some faces with the names on this site at the Mahogany Ridge fishing club's derby on Highland this coming weekend! I hate sounding like a broken record but ,Highland never fully freezed over this year and the contest has been cancelled. :( :( 
Hopefully another lake will be safe enough for a IceShanty gathering this season.....How is Huntington holding up?? Superior was a little shakey today with ice cracking under foot... there was about 4 inches of ice which was staring to show water on top in a few places.....I am not ready to put the ice fishing gear away just yet!! ;D ;D

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
is their anyone that has fished white lake , how thick is the ice? thank you

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
is their anyone that has fished white lake , how thick is the ice? thank you
[/quote Moondog, accu weather shows single digits and sub teens and next few days you won't need to worry about finding safe ice on white lk. huntington /swb or any of the other lks mentioned here.

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
I am hoping to get a few more outings in and thinking of trying a few old haunts soon.

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
been looking at the weather, plan on fishing monday at white lake,  i live in sparrow Bush ,it went down too 12 last night,

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
I fish Mongaup Falls alot, they won't open the gate to the boat launch until April 1st. Lots of Perch and Crappie. I have a Crawdad that is registered but think it only needs to be registered if you stick a gas motor on it. Not 100% sure though.
FYI Shawn...Masten is private too. Not sure what's up with the state site.
any motor on a watercraft requires a registration with the state, electric or gas. kyacks, canoes, even inflatables.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
been looking at the weather, plan on fishing monday at white lake,  i live in sparrow Bush ,it went down too 12 last night,
yes it did ;D I was out at night on 5 to  6 inches on swb last Superbowl weekend, the holes start freezing over after sundown that day it was balmy sunny weather high in the 40s.. but after dark the ice expands (freezes) scarey standing on it with all those pessure cracks running all around lol, startling experience when a big one rips between your feet.. no my cup of tea, even though it is a good sign the ice is freezing, i don't trust cracking outthere in the dark. Anyway, nights like last night can add on anywhere from a half to one and a half  to the existing ice. I seen this using my spud the following morning on my drilled holes the previous day. Plenty of ice this week.

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
how did you do on sb,?i use to live there,fished it all my life,i
 checked the ice at free launch, its not to thick their, i like fishing after dark for the eyes,and crappie.we use to get big perch when i was a kid,

Offline lorddre81

• IceShanty Rookie
can anyone know the thikness of ice on white lake and superior, going tommorow a nd dont wont to be dissapointed thanks

Offline Canoejon

• IceShanty Rookie
We're looking to get up to Sullivan (Huntington again? Superior?) on Tuesday. Hopefully, things will have firmed back up again by then. All reports are appreciated. Thanks

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I drove around White Lake on Friday and did see a couple guys out on the ice. Don't know how they got out because the shore is all open in most spots. No way I could go from my private access point at all unless things freeze up in this next week. I had 12 degrees this morning here in Forestburgh.

I drove up and was able to fish at Big Pond on around 5 inches in most spots. Bring creepers for sure. No flags at all and saw one guy catch a decent bass that had to go back. Spoke with a few others there and they did nothing either. I talked with the Ranger and he said he only saw one small trout so far this season.

On all these lakes here in Sullivan county the rule is they are private unless there is a public launch on them. Wolf, Yankee, Masten, Wanasink, Louise Marie and most others just don't have public launches so they are private lakes. Swinging Bridge is a public lake but they chain the launch in winter so I don't know how one would get on unless they have home owner permission. Mongaup Falls and the Rio are public but they are also Bald Eagle sanctuaries and no access is allowed after Nov. 1 and through April 1.

Based on the weather predictions this week we should have night temps in the teens and 20s through Wednesday but this might not be enough to lock up all the open waters in places like Huntington, Highland and White lakes. I have serious fears that a few rescues will happen given the conditions we have had this year so be careful out there. My brother is one of the fire commissioners for Sullivan and they are on standby expecting trouble.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion

Based on the weather predictions this week we should have night temps in the teens and 20s through Wednesday but this might not be enough to lock up all the open waters in places like Huntington, Highland and White lakes. I have serious fears that a few rescues will happen given the conditions we have had this year so be careful out there. My brother is one of the fire commissioners for Sullivan and they are on standby expecting trouble.
[/quote]

very good point Gamalot...    the ice is thin, and bubblie too! it holds weight but if its a group of guys sitting close it IS NOT  SAFE!!!!     fish apart and fish another day.....
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
SUBJECT:  HIGHLAND LAKE.......    So, guys, what do we do now??  The contest is cancelled but the lake is still fishable (if you can get access --- Sand Beach Bar???). 

Do we abandon our plans to fish there on Sat. Feb. 18 ( and forget our get-together)??  Or, do we go anyway??

How about getting together at Huntington instead ????  We can find out if this weeks temps have built enough solid ice up there.  I'm going up on Thursday and staying until at least Monday/Tues.......I'll definitely check out both lakes but have no computer up there.  You can call me at 516-424-5287 (that's Johnny's phone....mine doesn't work there) and I'll tell you what I find on Friday.

It would be a shame to lose out on a good "IceParty"..................

IceBalls

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Roger, I will be on a lake in PA in Saturday now, with the derby being cancelled----still may be able to do Huntington Sunday though......have to see what everyone else thinks though...

Offline ShawnM

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Captain of Team Mercer
Roger,
How is John's lake doing it might have open water to or did. I'll be up there from Friday to Monday so I'll try calling you on Friday PM before I come up at John's to see if you found any good ice.
Shawn
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals   ;D

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular

very good point Gamalot...    the ice is thin, and bubblie too! it holds weight but if its a group of guys sitting close it IS NOT  SAFE!!!!     fish apart and fish another day.....
No doubt about it.. I myself never feel as comfortable when daily temperatures are constantly breaching above the 30s 40s and especially 50 degrees during most of this February. Just because you have 3 to 4 inches of ice does not make it safe..I do not even feel safe walking on 5" ice when daily temps go from sub temps at night only to be followed by 40s during the day.  I wear safety and also check the ice thickness and stay off anything under 5"  have a happy and safe ice fishing should any is member get out this week! Gamalot, I'll phone you if anything is happening.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It has been cold as a witches nose the past two nights but that might give us false hope. Be cautious near shore and stay away from where the open water was on Highland.

I dropped you an email Privateeyes.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Roger,
How is John's lake doing it might have open water to or did. I'll be up there from Friday to Monday so I'll try calling you on Friday PM before I come up at John's to see if you found any good ice.
Shawn

sHAWN....jOHN SAYS HIS LAKE IS OPEN WATER ALMOST 3/4 OF THE WAY !!  Let's talk Thursday night....by then I'll have a chance to drive around to seveal lakes and check them out.

Rodger

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Roger, I will be on a lake in PA in Saturday now, with the derby being cancelled----still may be able to do Huntington Sunday though......have to see what everyone else thinks though...

Chris;  I'm going to try to call Sand  Beach Bar  to see if we can access Highland off their property.  If it's solid ove there, no reason  we can't fish & party Sat. & Sun.   Huntingto is also a possibility, but won't know until Thursday night.  Call John's number (see my post) so we can talk after I have a chance to check things out.

Rodger

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
It has been cold as a witches nose the past two nights but that might give us false hope. Be cautious near shore and stay away from where the open water was on Highland.

I dropped you an email Privateeyes.
I'll call you sometime in the am on my way up Gamalot

Offline lorddre81

• IceShanty Rookie
if somebody want to go wensday or another day to check some lakes ,stay night some hotel 3-4 people email me [email protected]

Offline icefishinNJ

• IceShanty Rookie
I plan on trying to find some ice this weekend. what do you think my best bet is to find some trout or walleye?
                                                          Fishing=Life

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Chris;  I'm going to try to call Sand  Beach Bar  to see if we can access Highland off their property.  If it's solid ove there, no reason  we can't fish & party Sat. & Sun.   Huntingto is also a possibility, but won't know until Thursday night.  Call John's number (see my post) so we can talk after I have a chance to check things out.

Rodger

will do, buddy...I will contact Joe as well to see what he has going on...

Offline stelth

• IceShanty Rookie
just want to say hello,cant wait to get started,i have been reading alot of great info

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
Head north and really fish.
Mr.Esox

Offline frontrowjoe20

• IceShanty Rookie
i will be heading to BRANT and SHROON lake this weekend...they are reporting 12 inches of ice....and decent luck on browns and lakers. hope there is some hope left for fishing local when i get back

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
i fished whitelake yesterday, open water around the shores   ,3 to 4 ins of ice on the lake , melting fast  that was my last day as its un safe now, yes i kept 8 perch and a few gills,

Offline BigJoesFishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Founder of OC NY Ice Fishing Club
could anyone tell me if there's ice on round lake or walton lake in monroe ny or on glenmere lake in Florida ny

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
could anyone tell me if there's ice on round lake or walton lake in monroe ny or on glenmere lake in Florida ny

With the weather I doubt that Walton has safe ice Round maybe but there are a lot of springs and Glenmere is probably your best bet but the shore ice may be bad

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.