New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095832 times)

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
does anyone happen to know how much ice is on walton lake. drove by tonight at around 8 pm. couldnt really see much in the way of holes, sled drag marks etc.   :tipup:
drove by sun and people were out fishin it

Offline dabprod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dan... I was actually on my way up to Yulanb today with plans to stay thru the weekend but my plans were cancelled when my buddy called to tel me his heating system was out of commission.  I would like to make it up for the weekend....depends on the snowfall ( I don't want to be dragging my sled thru a foot of snow)...... and current reports say that 12" is about what's coming!!  Let's talk about it by Thursday eve.

OK, I'll keep you posted on the snow fall amout and we'll go from there.
HARD WATER IS COOL !!!!!

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
thanks for the info ice.  anyone going to highland this saturday?

Rocketman I will be up there this saturday with a few people. Not sure which side I am going to access from yet all depends on the snowfall amount if I get to bring my newest toy or not.  (88 Artic Cat snowmobile)

PM me if you are gonna head up saturday.

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline Bullett21

• IceShanty Rookie
I was on Round Lake yesterday, it has 7 inches of good ice (just not where the geese keep the water open) so I'm sure Walton just up the road is the same. I'm going to hit it this week.

Offline nightheron424

• IceShanty Rookie
Mohansic state park is open now.

Offline dwitte62

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walton is MUCH deeper than Round but has been frozen over since before xmas. Saw some guys out there today.

Offline dwitte62

• Team IceShanty Regular
Took a ride thru Harriman on way home tonite and still nothing open. **censored**!!!!!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Did you guys read the post about the "GINNY BUCKET" ??   Sounds like a plan for our next outing !!!

Offline Paulypicc

• IceShanty Rookie
anyone know anything about where to fish on sylvan lake in dutchess county.... i never fished it before it seems like they got alot of species there and they also stock it with the browns.. i wanted to try to get out there in the next couple of days.... i got the topo map deep lake but i figured the browns probably around 15 to 20 ft down just wondering if anyone had any tips on sylvan lake...

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
anyone know anything about where to fish on sylvan lake in dutchess county.... i never fished it before it seems like they got alot of species there and they also stock it with the browns.. i wanted to try to get out there in the next couple of days.... i got the topo map deep lake but i figured the browns probably around 15 to 20 ft down just wondering if anyone had any tips on sylvan lake...

From the public access site (on Old Sylvan Lake Rd.), walk straight out and slightly to the left, about 75 to 100 yards.  Should be in about 15 - 20 feet of water.  TROUT TERRITORY !!!  Fish from just under the ice to about three feet off the bottom.  Stagger you baits until you find where they're cruising.

Offline dwitte62

• Team IceShanty Regular
Also, you can keep walking past the summer camp on your left past the point. Quite deep there. Have caught lots of trout and some BIG bass in that area. Sylvan is very deep and spring fed. be careful.

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
I was on Sylvan yesterday and didn't go too far off shore. Ice was very sketchy and I had a few scares. I'd stay off for another week or so, especially with this snow.
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline Rocketman

• IceShanty Rookie
highland is out for me on saturday(got a family thing to do). looking like sunday will be the day we head up, providing im off of work.

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
Did you guys read the post about the "GINNY BUCKET" ??   Sounds like a plan for our next outing !!!

looks like an awesome idea.

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Is any derbies in the forecast on highland lk this year?  Tight linesssssssssssssss lol
lonelywolf lol

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
I am waiting for local ice, should be soon at hairyman lakes drive !!!jmho ;D
lonelywolf lol

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
haven,t heard yet

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
 hay boss jigs   how you do at sparrer yesterday? i kept 7 perch 5 blue gills from white lake yesterday  drilled about 50 wholes slow fishing bigest perch 14 ins.

Offline Paulypicc

• IceShanty Rookie
From the public access site (on Old Sylvan Lake Rd.), walk straight out and slightly to the left, about 75 to 100 yards.  Should be in about 15 - 20 feet of water.  TROUT TERRITORY !!!  Fish from just under the ice to about three feet off the bottom.  Stagger you baits until you find where they're cruising.

thanks alot buddy i will def try it out

Offline Paulypicc

• IceShanty Rookie
I was on Sylvan yesterday and didn't go too far off shore. Ice was very sketchy and I had a few scares. I'd stay off for another week or so, especially with this snow.

oh yea?? damn i was hoping to get out there on saturday.. i know this snow sucks how many inches was it where you were drilling??

Offline Paulypicc

• IceShanty Rookie

by the way hows the perch in that lake?? i love jigging for the perch while waiting for the flags lol but in sylvan lake sawbellies are native right??

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
haven,t heard yet

wtg moondog, at least you got out there
lonelywolf lol

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
hay boss jigs   how you do at sparrer yesterday? i kept 7 perch 5 blue gills from white lake yesterday  drilled about 50 wholes slow fishing bigest perch 14 ins.
sorry i didnt get to see this till now. yesterday started with nice action but were small perch and 6-7 inch crappies and only on jig. then they shut OFF till late. even the pickerel were slow and small. and i moved 3 times!(but i forgot to charge the lorance)  :(
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline moon_dog200

• IceShanty Rookie
boss jigs  i onely had 1 crappie on and lost it at the whole good sice one  i mite go back there sater5day if your intersted
you are welcome to join me

Offline Paulypicc

• IceShanty Rookie
what other hot spot ponds or lakes to fish in westchester, putnam, or dutchess county? i know when gilead in carmel freezes i wanna hit that up for trout.. but i was wondering if there were any other im not thinking of or that i dont know thanks guys

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
For those of you who visit Tom's Bait Shop in Fair Oaks, Tom's son Tim passed away over the weekend. Services are this Friday in Middletown, Obit posted below:

Middletown, NY

Timothy D. Vernooy, a lifelong area resident, and former plumber with G. Richard Truex Plumbing and Heating of Middletown, entered into rest on Sunday, January 9, 2011, at the O.R.M.C., Horton Campus in Middletown. He was 48 years of age.

The son of Thomas M. Vernooy and the late Joann Stewart Vernooy, he was born May 19, 1962 in Middletown.

Tim was a member of the National Rifle Association and the WA-A-WE Rod and Gun Club, Inc. of Westbrookville. Tim's love of his family, friends, dog and passion for hunting are what inspired him each day. His unique sense of humor and unconditional love will be sadly missed, but with us always.

Tim's greatest joy was his precious daughter, Robyn. He will be in our hearts forever and has taught us that we have to enjoy life always and live it thoroughly. Most importantly, he taught us to be there for one another.

Survivors include his daughter, Robyn L. Vernooy of Pine Bush; his father, Thomas M. Vernooy and his wife, Suzanne of Middletown; his sister, Lori Ann Cole and her husband, Michael of Clayton, NC; his brother, Thomas F. Vernooy and his wife, MaryJo of Pemberton, NJ; one niece, Rebecca J. Cole; one nephew, Matthew A. Cole; his companion, Gabriella Silea of Middletown; two aunts, one uncle, several cousins, and his pet Doberman, Colt. Tim was predeceased by his mother, Joann Stewart Vernooy on May 4, 1994.

Friends may call at the Cornelius, Dodd & Connell Funeral Home, Inc., 26 Grove St., Middletown, on Friday, January 14, from 4 to 8 p.m. Funeral services will be held at 8 p.m., following the visitation. Cremation will take place at the Cedar Hill Crematory, Newburgh.

The family requests that memorial contributions in memory of Tim be made to the WA-A-WE Rod and Gun Club, Inc., 168 Big Island Rd., Warwick, NY 10990.

Arrangements are under the direction of Cornelius, Dodd & Connell Funeral Home, Inc.; 845-343-2142. For directions or to send condolences, please visit www.connellfuneralhome .com.

👮👮👮

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thank you Wolfpak, I just got bait today at Tom's and Lori took care of me and told me the sad news.

Tim was a great guy and always took good care of me which is why I post Tom's Bait shop info every year right here.

Tim's dad, Tom is getting up in years but plans to keep the shop open for as long as he can.

Sure does make me think how fortunate I am being 10 years older than Tim was and how we all are only here for a short time.

Lori did mention that Tim spent his last day doing exactly what he loved. Out on his ATV at the hunting club and having fun.

Thumbs up and I am having a shot and beer in Tim's honor right now.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
I never visited the bait store or met Tim, My prayers go out to Tim's family through these difficult times.
lonelywolf lol

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
i knew the whole family at toms house, i was good friends with toms wifes son before he died. just wish to send my sorrows to the family, i am truelly sorry for your loss tom.   john
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Well, guys, its great to see so many new faces here this season....But I gotta ask " WHERE ARE ALL THE OLD ONES ????? "

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.