New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096027 times)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
We catch them down in Pond Eddy. The river is full of them and they get pretty big.
ssssssssssh..... ;) ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
but if you REALLY want to catch them you'll fish just around the bend from the ssshhhhhhhhh  :P

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
sterlings blue lake=DINKS :'( but being harriman was closed, at least I tried it for this year ::) IBM must be feeding them nano diet pelets ;D hawg , where you thinking?
lonelywolf lol

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
sterlings blue lake=DINKS :'( but being harriman was closed, at least I tried it for this year ::) IBM must be feeding them nano diet pelets ;D hawg , where you thinking?
mtbusch is blue lake open now ??

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline mschott

• Team IceShanty Regular
but if you REALLY want to catch them you'll fish just around the bend from the ssshhhhhhhhh  :P

course that was a hundred years ago  @)

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
mtbusch is blue lake open now ??
Open yes, to what ..I don't know but it left me thinking why the state doesn't use a warm water stocking program. The lake would be a great place to ice if the park managed a warm water stocking program.. specicially black crappie and walleye .. Blue lake in sterling park has bass and pickerel. I visit the lk once a year beginning iceseason..most perch are dinkies.. too small to keep. This was always the case at blue lake in all my years jigging it.  I walked to thw back found 25fow and tried 20 17 15 12 fow .. very tough place to fish and I suspect as I always have, that the place is overfished and neglected proper stocking program. I do not know how the state monitors to improve fishing quality through stocking programs in this region but, with so few public water available for the licensed fishermen and how expensive a non resident is these days. I can't see where the increased license money is improving fishing opportunities in the area!!!
lonelywolf lol

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
My specifics for jigging gear and tackle . Was at Davis's sports to pu grubs.. they had no mousies :-\ they had waxies but went with spikes and mealies. Wasn't thinking of buying ice tackle but they had some pretty darn good icerod combos,etc,, picked me up a frabil jig combo and ht disk tipup deluxe set and some cool looking panjigs.. but the rod combo prespooled line was way too heavy.. took it off after trying it on the lk today..  removed all but last twenty feet or so and topshot my new frabil ice reel with 2lb icefireline.. palomar a tiny steelie barrel and to that, improved clinch knot to leader and again to lure. I like keeping it heavier on tippet material, usually maxima green 5lb or 4lb floro leaders. The frabil combo came with bonus jigs but the wire barbs were too thick for panfish..probably good for pickerel bass or anything huge..  On blue lk yesterday, I learned quickly they were taking light, this demanded light presentation so extra fine line and wire was the ticket. I like using very thin gauged trebles and the smallest swedish pimples made..or ice grub jigs too with fine wire hooks. I think waxies are best for bluegills but you get less than spikes.. spikes stay on good.. mousies were always my favorite. Mealies work especially on trout water. But if the perch are hitting light and they were yesterday,try a small spike on the tiny thin gauge hooks. Main line should be no more than 4lb. preferably braid or superline.. trilene ice or any other of the ice line brands 2 to 3lb is good choice for finess panfishing. My other two combos are super fine sensitive tip.. I do not need a spring bobber on either of them. the new frabil , i might try a spring bob.. When I get into big perch, I like 4lb test mainline and preferably barreled to 5 lb tippet gl john
lonelywolf lol

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Open yes, to what ..I don't know but it left me thinking why the state doesn't use a warm water stocking program. The lake would be a great place to ice if the park managed a warm water stocking program.. specicially black crappie and walleye .. Blue lake in sterling park has bass and pickerel. I visit the lk once a year beginning iceseason..most perch are dinkies.. too small to keep. This was always the case at blue lake in all my years jigging it.  I walked to thw back found 25fow and tried 20 17 15 12 fow .. very tough place to fish and I suspect as I always have, that the place is overfished and neglected proper stocking program. I do not know how the state monitors to improve fishing quality through stocking programs in this region but, with so few public water available for the licensed fishermen and how expensive a non resident is these days. I can't see where the increased license money is improving fishing opportunities in the area!!!
the state doesn't need a warm water fish stocking program, hence, never having one, outside walleye and musky. walleye were stocked in blue lake, when it was private, and you needed a permit to fish there, but nobody was catching them, so they stopped stocking them. we have over 7000 lakes and ponds to fish, so you just have to fish where the species you want are there in good numbers and size. there approximately 40 lakes and ponds in the orange/rockland county area, so i don't see a lack of water to fish. also, the money from the license increase is barely keeping the DEC running, and the number of staff is less due to budget cuts.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
the state doesn't need a warm water fish stocking program, hence, never having one, outside walleye and musky. walleye were stocked in blue lake, when it was private, and you needed a permit to fish there, but nobody was catching them, so they stopped stocking them. we have over 7000 lakes and ponds to fish, so you just have to fish where the species you want are there in good numbers and size. there approximately 40 lakes and ponds in the orange/rockland county area, so i don't see a lack of water to fish. also, the money from the license increase is barely keeping the DEC running, and the number of staff is less due to budget cuts.
Pooley I see it for what it is from thirty years of spending for non resient fishing license.. So I will still ask ,"Why ?".. just a few buckets a year of black crappie and walleyefry  for blue lk in sterling forest park! stocking should be priortized even if it means sacrificing staff. It is common sense to maintain a put and take fishery so close to high population.
lonelywolf lol

Offline ExpansionCrack

• IceShanty Rookie
hey buddy you going out this weekend  :tipup: ;D :tipup:

PM sent ;D

Offline nightheron424

• IceShanty Rookie
Just called the Sterling Forest park this noon. Four lakes open, Blue lk, Eagle lk, four corner pond and Laurel Madow ponds. However, Harriman is still closed. Also, asked the snow and they are cleaning right now. Looks not bad. Anybody going to hit these lakes on Sunday?

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Just called the Sterling Forest park this noon. Four lakes open, Blue lk, Eagle lk, four corner pond and Laurel Madow ponds. However, Harriman is still closed. Also, asked the snow and they are cleaning right now. Looks not bad. Anybody going to hit these lakes on Sunday?
Yes, try blue lk.. it has at least six inches of ice. Not sure if gas augers are allowed this year.. I know gas augers weren't allowed last season. Harriman park should have been opened but they still have yet to measure the ice on seven lks.  I guess saturday and sunday look good further north? Any derbies this weekend? What is this group doing? I would like to meet on  ice where the crappie and perch are keepers!
lonelywolf lol

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
I keep hearing from a friend of mine that JFK park lake (formerly Mohansic State Park) contains a good population of large Crappies.  Anybody from that neck of the woods know anything about this??? 

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
if the weather advisory changes and it isn't too bad, me and a buddy are going to bring up a gas auger, what is everybody up to?  ;D
lonelywolf lol

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
iceballs, I have no clue, I know great crappie during open water early season but it is a nyc res. no ice fishing allowed.. anybody try those westchester and putnam nyc watersheds for ice fishing?
lonelywolf lol

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
lmao... ;D

Offline nightheron424

• IceShanty Rookie
I keep hearing from a friend of mine that JFK park lake (formerly Mohansic State Park) contains a good population of large Crappies.  Anybody from that neck of the woods know anything about this??? 

Have stoped by two weeks before and half water was open? Don't know how is going now.

Offline nightheron424

• IceShanty Rookie
Yes, try blue lk.. it has at least six inches of ice. Not sure if gas augers are allowed this year.. I know gas augers weren't allowed last season. Harriman park should have been opened but they still have yet to measure the ice on seven lks.  I guess saturday and sunday look good further north? Any derbies this weekend? What is this group doing? I would like to meet on  ice where the crappie and perch are keepers!

I have been Harriman one month before and most water was already locked. The ice should be thick enough now. Guys there should do something.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
PM sent ;D
yeah i got it E.C....was gonna meet topher at promton pa sat..but havent brought pa lic yet....thinking highland lake ny on sunday..( this message is fer mt busch too...)..hey crack...t lake info sounds great...let me know...i'll buy ya a bowl of kennys famous chile.... ;)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac

course that was a hundred years ago  @)
i was wondering when you wudd jump in... ;) ;D

Offline ExpansionCrack

• IceShanty Rookie
yeah i got it E.C....was gonna meet topher at promton pa sat..but havent brought pa lic yet....thinking highland lake ny on sunday..( this message is fer mt busch too...)..hey crack...t lake info sounds great...let me know...i'll buy ya a bowl of kennys famous chile.... ;)

I think sunday sounds good......need directions.

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Green flag last few days on fdr.  There are crappies but extremely tough to find.  There are much better crappie lakes around.  Love muscoot for crappies!

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
lmao... ;D

all ya gotta do is look for a very colorful rock in the middle of the river................. .and don't cast near it !

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
gas augers have been banned on blue lake since the state took it over. thank United Water!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think sunday sounds good......need directions.
meet at pecks in narrowsburg ???????

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
all ya gotta do is look for a very colorful rock in the middle of the river................. .and don't cast near it !
:wacko: i got about 200 bucks in jigs and lures on that rock...... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
gas augers have been banned on blue lake since the state took it over. thank United Water!
Forgot to mention, as I was dragging my sled off blue lk. with another older gent retired and knows the lakes and rangers in this neck of the woods..we see somebody drilling with a gas auger after sundown! lol.. I just left and ignored it , I do not risk messing with any strangers breaking park rules especially these days. And I just want to add that I agree it is ashamed the state has to cut back on enforcement and such but, imho ..stocking fish would in fact benefit all and serve in the best interests for the states parks and recreation facilities. Without a put and take in regions so close heavily  populated urban regions  of the state, it will be the same as it has been and that is why blue lake is a tough lake to fish. .., other lakes will suffer the same fate as blue lk. if there is no warm water fish stockings like other states do.
lonelywolf lol

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Blue lake has a good population of perch, we have done very well over they years. It is just a matter of finding them. Lakes in Harriman still have areas with open water, that is why they arent open. Untill they are totally frozen, they won't be open.

Offline ice boy19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Blue lake has a good population of perch, we have done very well over they years. It is just a matter of finding them. Lakes in Harriman still have areas with open water, that is why they arent open. Untill they are totally frozen, they won't be open.
i have also done well out of blue lake. hockey12 is right. you just gotta find them. one time you go there there in one spot then you can go back a day later and they have moved on.

NEW YORK'S #1 GAMEFISH

Offline ExpansionCrack

• IceShanty Rookie
meet at pecks in narrowsburg ???????

what time?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.