New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096022 times)

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
BC, I'll be firing some kroc spoons  all along the roundout sometime later this week. I have two rb one by the handycap ramp, going to move that 12v  closer between trout rock and canon. The one jon boat there now has a huge cracked hull and not worth repairing.. I plan on carrying it out for alumium scrap ;D I'm  going to take the thruway up to ashokan res first and see what is happening at the weir, the esopus is probably still muddy but worth floating a few single eggs too. If the weather stays as good as the forecast later in the week, it should be good from shore at roundout too ;) good luck with you new flasher! I am thinking of getting a new one too
SORRY TO HERE ABOUT THE JON BOAT (YOU SHOULD GET A GOOD PRICE FOR THE ALUMINUM) WAS THINKING ABOUT PUTTING ANOTHER BOAT BY THE FORK (FOR THE SPRING) LET ME KNOW IF YOUR INTERESTED. THE SALE ON THEM FLASHERS FROM MILLS FLEET FARM WAS OVER LAST SAT.

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where's Serge?  ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Rodger, I found a number for the South Fallsburg Fire Dept.  if that isn't the right one, let me know....oh, and BTW, there are about 50 People that share you name on FB, search Christopher Confer......pic of my ice sled is my pic..

Offline cheezburgahmeat

• IceShanty Rookie
  • DRILLIN HOLES AND JIGGIN POLES BABY!!!
you're right, I looked fast at my calendar book. it's the 30th, they announced it at the weigh in...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
we had snow and sleet at my Moms condo this morning, along with some fierce winds! i think i need to use my flasher somewhere! i might have to take the boat out one more time this weekend. ;)

Flashers are for cheaters! ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Flashers are for cheaters! ;D

a wise man always uses all of his resources... ;)   if you would like, I'll let you borrow the underwater camera too  ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
BC, this is the basic design that I copied from a guy that I work and fish with.....very simple.....hockey12, pooley, YO1157, Holehawg, and jimmyclaude all have one that I made for them, and they have seen them in action and what I have caught on mine ( 25+" pickerel)

the base and riser are 1 by 3 or 1 by 4 flat stock, whichever you prefer, the base is approx. 10" with the riser being shorter.  The pole piece is 1/2" wooden dowel with 2 finish nails to coil the line around ( I used dacron and then attached fluorocarbon leaders for the line ) and on the end of the pole is a very small eyelet that I bought.  the pivot is a piece of coat hanger that was laying around attached to the pole with a rubber o-ring and is adjustable for the balance angle that you want, just slide the coat hanger/o-ring to the desired position......and with the hinge, they fold up very flat for easy storage....

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
a wise man always uses all of his resources... ;)   if you would like, I'll let you borrow the underwater camera too  ;D

Sounds like a plan! ;) :icefish:

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
BC, this is the basic design that I copied from a guy that I work and fish with.....very simple.....hockey12, pooley, YO1157, Holehawg, and jimmyclaude all have one that I made for them, and they have seen them in action and what I have caught on mine ( 25+" pickerel)

(Image removed from quote.)

the base and riser are 1 by 3 or 1 by 4 flat stock, whichever you prefer, the base is approx. 10" with the riser being shorter.  The pole piece is 1/2" wooden dowel with 2 finish nails to coil the line around ( I used dacron and then attached fluorocarbon leaders for the line ) and on the end of the pole is a very small eyelet that I bought.  the pivot is a piece of coat hanger that was laying around attached to the pole with a rubber o-ring and is adjustable for the balance angle that you want, just slide the coat hanger/o-ring to the desired position......and with the hinge, they fold up very flat for easy storage....
NICE JOB! THANKS

Offline saquelie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey u guys from the south im from upstate. I work at west point and stay in newburg during the week. Would love to hook up with a fellow ice walker down here would be willing to trade trips. I live 3 miles from lake george and lake champlain

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Hey u guys from the south im from upstate. I work at west point and stay in newburg during the week. Would love to hook up with a fellow ice walker down here would be willing to trade trips. I live 3 miles from lake george and lake champlain

Saquelie:  From Newburgh you're not too far from some great ice action.  A short trip across the river will put you close to Sylvan Lake and Upton Lake and White Pond, three hot action lakes.  We fish them frequently and you're welcome to come along any time.  Also, if you get yourself the free permit for the NYC reservoirs, that opens up at least 10 more excellent venues to fish with us.  Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll give you my number to keep in touch when the season starts. 

IceBalls

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
we can get together in Harriman, if it opens!! keep checking this thread. most of the posters on this thread have fished together.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
HEY SAQUELIE! IF YOU WORK AT WEST POINT, YOU PROBABLY HAVE ACCESS TO THE THEIR MANY LAKES, I HAVE FISHED A FEW OF THEM WITH  SOME NICE RESULTS, IF NO ACCESS-NO WORRIES, I LIVE 5 MILES FROM WEST POINT AND WE HAVE PLENTY OF FISHABLE WATERS NEARBY-SEE YA IN A FEW WEEKS!!!!!

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
BC, it was tough going both friday and saturday on roundout spooning from shore. I caught pne of each , both small, laker and one bt both released unharmed. I met a few shore fishermen too.. nothing much either ..could have been lunar phase? ??? but all I it wasn't in me to solo a third on the roundout so I took my time from my brothers house in nev. and figured i scope out the swinging bridge.. it was slow spooning too but today was like summer! felt warmest of the three days!!! I only tried a half hr or so around noontime.. want to hit gandermt on way home and beat the sunday eod pm traffic. alot cool stuff at ganders! really like that commando frabil.. bought some ice fishing lures and accessaries. Here's hoping for early hardwater season all ;D
lonelywolf lol

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
BC, it was tough going both friday and saturday on roundout spooning from shore. I caught pne of each , both small, laker and one bt both released unharmed. I met a few shore fishermen too.. nothing much either ..could have been lunar phase? ??? but all I it wasn't in me to solo a third on the roundout so I took my time from my brothers house in nev. and figured i scope out the swinging bridge.. it was slow spooning too but today was like summer! felt warmest of the three days!!! I only tried a half hr or so around noontime.. want to hit gandermt on way home and beat the sunday eod pm traffic. alot cool stuff at ganders! really like that commando frabil.. bought some ice fishing lures and accessaries. Here's hoping for early hardwater season all ;D
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE LACK OF ACTION MT, AT LEAST YOU HAD SOME NICE WEATHER. DID'NT GET ON THE ROUNDOUT THIS WEEKEND,  BUT HAD FUN WITH THE KIDS MESSING UP MY LEAF PILE (40 BAGS WORTH). LEAVES ARE DONE NOW IT'S TIME TO TAKE OUT MY NEW TOY AND FISH........

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
I leave the leaves until they are all down around here ;D but glad you are finished with your leaf chores, let me know what you think about your new toy..  by the way, is it a marcum showdown?
lonelywolf lol

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
http://www.overstockbait.com/default.asp
Just saw this on another thread, some pretty good prices.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hockey12 thank you for posting the link to Overstock Bait. How is your daughter doing ?
  Saquelie In the same area as Harriman state park is Sterling Forest state park  ,also if you take route 17k heading west there is Winding Hills park (Orange County park) it contains a fifty acre lake (Diamond Lake) . I will look through my fishing stuff and see if I have the phone numbers for the state parks and Winding Hills.
Steve

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Saquelie I found the phone numbers and will post them below. Just for your and others information Harriman and Sterling Forest state parks are managed by the Palisades Interstate Park Comission (PIPC) . They only open certain lakes to ice fishing and require a minnium of six inches of ice before opening a lake. If you drive through either park you will see signs stating this policy also on the signs there are slots for red or green boards. If the board is green lake is open,red lake closed stay off ice. At the Lake Tiorotti field office in Harriman they will fly a green flag from the flag pole if all the lakes where ice fishing is permitted are open.
 This policy creates a problem in that they are not to swift in checking ice thickness on the lakes some years they do not open any lakes reguardless of the weather.

Sterling Forest Visitor's Center  (845)-351-5907             Lake Tiorotti field office (845)- 351-2568

Winding Hills Park  (845)-457- 4918
Steve

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
mr.clean, have there been ice fishing derbies at harriman state park ? Last season weich opened for about a week. All the rest of the season it stayed red flagged. I hope this winter it is cold enough for the seven lks drive.
lonelywolf lol

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
saq, you obviously will get the ice before the lower regions, I'm geared and hoping to drive north for early ice. keep me posted :tipup:
lonelywolf lol

Offline saquelie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks for all the info guys. Two weeks ago we had a inch and a half on one of my perch ponds only made it about 100 ft and had to back off, then it got warm. What do you guys target down here? I fished over by stewart airport on the side of the road caught a dozen craps

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Thanks for all the info guys. Two weeks ago we had a inch and a half on one of my perch ponds only made it about 100 ft and had to back off, then it got warm. What do you guys target down here? I fished over by stewart airport on the side of the road caught a dozen craps
Last time I was at stewarts wma .. me and my brother and our german shorthair were attacked by hundreds of woodticks :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :unsure: gaming stocked pheasant anyway, that was almost ten years ago.. I am sure the ice fishing is good towards where you work inside the MB. But be careful on thin ice ..it is really unsafe unless it is solid four inches or more. I do not even bother three inches ,  not worth risking falling in :tipup:
lonelywolf lol

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Been a while guys....nothing new up here on the Northwestern Front .......water temps are way down, very cold at night, but been getting warm during the day....It's going to be a little while longer til Ice season !

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Finally got in touch with a representative of the So. Fallsburg Fire Dept....... their tournament is set for January 29 (Saturday).
That means we should consider either the week before, or the week after that for our weekend overnight. 

Joe: Did you find out if the Highland Lake tourney is going to be Feb. 5 or Feb. 12 ??  What about the Holehawg/Topher tourney ??? (Busy, Busy, Busy this year).

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Finally got in touch with a representative of the So. Fallsburg Fire Dept....... their tournament is set for January 29 (Saturday).
That means we should consider either the week before, or the week after that for our weekend overnight. 

Joe: Did you find out if the Highland Lake tourney is going to be Feb. 5 or Feb. 12 ??  What about the Holehawg/Topher tourney ??? (Busy, Busy, Busy this year).

I pick the weekend after....will be up in the Adirondacks the weekend before from the 21-23

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I pick the weekend after....will be up in the Adirondacks the weekend before from the 21-23

I'm OK for the following weekend.  If it happens to turn out that weekend is the Highland Lake deal, maybe we can combine both and stay out on Highland for the weekend! 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Mtbusch I have not heard of any tournaments/derbies being held in Harriman in recent years. The park commission is so finicky with when and if they will open a lake/lakes I do not think any group would bother trying to hold one in Harriman or Sterling Forest. Years ago when Sterling Forest was private property you could purchase a yearly permit for fishing and they held an annual event on Blue Lake.
  Ice Balls thank you for the update on the South Fallsburg Fire Dept. tournament.
Steve

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Thank you for the reply Steve, I sure hope we get a consistent winter freeze for harriman park .. I wish everyone here a good ice fishing season too.
lonelywolf lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.