New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095939 times)

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
GOOD NEWS!!!  Syracuse Ice Show problem solved.  Johnny "Squid Boy" won't be having that surgery for torn rotator cuff......Get this.....Surgeon says the tear is so bad that it is inoperable!!  John will be able to join us in our ice fishing expeditions this year but we'll have to help by hauling his gear out.  He won't be pulling anything or putting any pressure on the arm FOREVER!!  But he's gonna get some REALLY GOOOD DRUGS!!!(for pain).

Everyone I've spoken to is reallylooking forward to the overnight trip.  It's really funny actually.........  most of the guys in the midwestern states and even upstate NY don't think it's a big deal to spend the night on the ic e....they do it all the time.  I wonder why it's so unusual for US to do it???  Do any of you have experience with night ice fishing??  What are you targeting mostly???  My usual trips consist of getting on the ice by 7AM and we usually leave by 3 or 4 PM......are we missing the best time??
I HAVE FISHED THE NYC RESEVIOURS THOUGHOUT THE NIGHT (WALLEYE HAVE BEEN BEST 1 HOUR AFTER SUNDOWN ON, BEST CRAPPIE ACTION USUALLY HOUR OR TWO BEFORE SUNUP-ALSO CAUGHT CRAPPIE A FEW FEET BELOW THE ICE WITH A LIGHT IN THE HOLE........

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
While I'm sure you could GET AWAY with fishing the NYC reservoirs at night, I also believe it's illegal.  Not positive about that but I think the rules changed after 9/11 and they got paranoid about someone poisoning the water supply.

Steve:  I think the general consensus was to go to Lake Huntington. 

Chris:  Not sure but I think I read in one of the past posts that the Highland Lake contest was the first weekend of Feb.  We should find out about that before we settle on a firm date.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
While I'm sure you could GET AWAY with fishing the NYC reservoirs at night, I also believe it's illegal.  Not positive about that but I think the rules changed after 9/11 and they got paranoid about someone poisoning the water supply.

Chris:  Not sure but I think I read in one of the past posts that the Highland Lake contest was the first weekend of Feb.  We should find out about that before we settle on a firm date.

They have 2 tournaments two weekends in a row, with the second one being on Valentine's Day weekend...at least that is how it was the last 2 years..

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
WOW...Valentines Day weekend !!!  What a choice to have to make......  IceFishing Contest /  Nuts cut off by angry Wife / GF!!!   Must be some "soul searching" going on over that .  I would guess that is a pretty low attendance event!!!

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular

I've been fishing the reservoirs for 20plus years (do about 90% of my fishing on them-just keep forgetting how to spell reservoir) It's perfectly legal to fish them at night-have been checked by the DEP plenty of times-they appreciate having us out there (extra set of eyes)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
WOW...Valentines Day weekend !!!  What a choice to have to make......  IceFishing Contest /  Nuts cut off by angry Wife / GF!!!   Must be some "soul searching" going on over that .  I would guess that is a pretty low attendance event!!!

you were there 2 years ago, that's where Joe and I first met you !   That tournament is mostly about the kids catching fish and having a good time...

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
naw...some bling from zales...cheap roses and i'm out the door.....lol... ;) ;D

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I vote for Feb 5/6...mostly because Jan 21-23 is a weekend trip, and I'd like a weekend to be able to recover from that ( I have a feeling it is gonna be a long weekend)   and the Highland Tournament I believe is the 13th...just my 2 cents..
i believe these dates topher said will work around all the other tourneys...althou fallsburg firehouse tourneys in there somewhere ??????

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
or if we want, we can wait until after the Feb. tourneys to do it......if the weather pattern holds like I think it is going to this year, we should have enough ice to do it the end of Feb/beginning of March   ;)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I wish you guys would fish the Fallsburg Firemens tourney.  John & I have been there last three years and it's really nice.  Could be a good place for a get-together for our crowd.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
do you happen to know the date for that?

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
No, don't know the date yet....they usually send me a postcard but haven't got it yet.  I'll see if I can call them and post it here.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good morning everyone I did a search through this thread and last years Fallsburg Fireman's tourney was on Jan.30 . So this years should be on Sat. Jan. 29 assuming they always hold it around the same date.
 Steve

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I wish you guys would fish the Fallsburg Firemens tourney.  John & I have been there last three years and it's really nice.  Could be a good place for a get-together for our crowd.
now..now...i stopped by last year....remember... ;) ;D

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well, YES,  Holehawg's presence does constitute "a gathering"!!LOLOL
Joe, we've got to figure out a way to get the entire crew out to all three events (Our own overnight, the Firemen's contest at Fallsburg, the Highland Lake tourney).  Of course, all  3 require massive amounts of food and beer!!  And FUN !!

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snow flurries down here in Suffern right now!

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
cold and real windy up here hockey...deer are bedded down in the pines right now...sat on the stand this morning...brrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrr... ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
up in NY where I work, it is supposed to get up into the 50's this week

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
we had snow and sleet at my Moms condo this morning, along with some fierce winds! i think i need to use my flasher somewhere! i might have to take the boat out one more time this weekend. ;)
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
what a nasty day out today.
        chris

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
we had snow and sleet at my Moms condo this morning, along with some fierce winds! i think i need to use my flasher somewhere! i might have to take the boat out one more time this weekend. ;)

getting used to it are you?

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
i need to! it's killing me! i need ice!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline cheezburgahmeat

• IceShanty Rookie
  • DRILLIN HOLES AND JIGGIN POLES BABY!!!
Fallsburg FD tourney is the 31st of January. Hopefully there are some of those monster crappie left, those things were unreal!

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Hello everybody I met or didn't meet on the ice last season! I am looking forward to another ice fishing season too :tipup:
lonelywolf lol

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fallsburg FD tourney is the 31st of January. Hopefully there are some of those monster crappie left, those things were unreal!

Thanks for the info !

And welcome back MT .

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'LL BE USING MY NEW FLASHER AT ROUNDOUT THIS WEEKEND, HOPEFULLY THE WINDS DIE DOWN!!!!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Cheezburgahmeat are you sure of the date ? I just checked a calender the 31st is a Monday.  I'm assuming they hold contest on a Sat. or Sun. so it should be Jan.29 or 30 .
Steve

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Thanks for the info !

And welcome back MT .
topher thanks, tis the time of year we migrate towards hardwater ;D maybe we get some early season black ice :tipup: I would like to team up too for any ice shanty tourneys etc., enjoyed Garys invite last season.. it is all about enjoyingthe finest passtime in our american great outdoors and meeting good folk !   
lonelywolf lol

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
I'LL BE USING MY NEW FLASHER AT ROUNDOUT THIS WEEKEND, HOPEFULLY THE WINDS DIE DOWN!!!!!
BC, I'll be firing some kroc spoons  all along the roundout sometime later this week. I have two rb one by the handycap ramp, going to move that 12v  closer between trout rock and canon. The one jon boat there now has a huge cracked hull and not worth repairing.. I plan on carrying it out for alumium scrap ;D I'm  going to take the thruway up to ashokan res first and see what is happening at the weir, the esopus is probably still muddy but worth floating a few single eggs too. If the weather stays as good as the forecast later in the week, it should be good from shore at roundout too ;) good luck with you new flasher! I am thinking of getting a new one too
lonelywolf lol

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Not possible.....Jan 31 is a Monday!!  Better get a handle on the correct date.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.