New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095834 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
BCSHANTY I think the general feeling is the more the merrier.
  Holehawg sounds good to me but also talk to the Sand Beach Bar owner if you have not already done so ,at this time we should keep our options open. If members who have expressed interest post or PM you saying go with one lake over the other then things change. Thank you for your efforts in making the overnight a reality.
 Topher you are probably right ,but I have the Christmas shopping to do also had an unexpected vehicle repair last week. Oil pressure sender switch went on my jeep ,got out of work around one AM  notice check gauges light stayed on after starting jeep . Look at dash oil pressure gauge sitting at zero. Also needed a new muffler assembly.
 I hope to be in Sullivan County on Saturday to rake leaves at family bungalow will look through phone book and get numbers for Fosterdale Motor Lodge and Eldred Preserve Motel also see what is listed for Barryville. The hamlets of Eldred and Barryville are near HighLand Lake for those of you not familiar with Sullivan county.
 Also want to let I.S. members in the Newburgh,NY. area know Barnes-n-Noble at the route 300-17k intersection has the 2010-11 In-Fisherman Ice Guide in stock. I picked up a copy yesterday.
Steve

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
I'll second that vote for Huntington....... Chris is right about the quantity and quality of fish there.  What's all this talk about motels/hotels???  I thought the whole idea was to stay out ON THE ICE all night.  I have a 4-man Ice Cube w/heater that I'm bringing and also have a one man PacShack that someone else can use to get inside if necessary.  If we can get permission to build a bonfire on the ice and keep it going all nite, we should have no problems.  Oh, yeah, just remembered....I have a two man camping tent also (just bring your air mattress & sleeping bag).
ICE CAMPING........ This could get to be a habit!!

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
JUST GOT SOME BAD NEWS.... my regular fishing partner (Johnny "Squid-Boy") is going into the hospitqal for surgery for a torn rotator cuff.  This will put him out of action for a couple of months, so he can't go to the Syracuse show with me.

I have a double room ( 2 Queen beds) reserved for Fri. & Sat. (Dec.10 / 11) at Maplewood Inn, Liverpool (10 m ins from the show) with special deal for two tickets to a Comedy Club Sat. nite......  all for $96 per person for the two days.  The hotel serves a fantastic breakfast for free.

Anybody interested in sharing the room for those two nites....contact me by PM.

IceBalls  (Rodger)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
I think they made the pages smaller, cuz we jumped from 106 to 133 !

It was just a thought, either lake will work for me.....decided to get a full year license, mainly due to a trip in January  ;) and the Highland tourney and the overnight trip...plus if I go anywhere else, I would still need one !

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Topher I noticed the same thing with the pages. If you should want to fish NY. waters during the open water season you are good to go with the full year license.
 Ice Balls I may not be able to get the whole week end off from work . So I might need a motel room and only fish with all of you till midnight-1 AM ,then grab a few hours sleep and head home before going to work on Sunday.
 Steve

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
my brother has a metal fireplace (saucer type) i can probably bring.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I can get a half barrel too if needed...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
you get one?

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Ice Balls sorry to hear about Squid Boy (John) let him that I and I'm sure others are praying for a successful surgery and full recovery.
  Pooley enjoy your new toy. On the camp fire does anyone know if the 50 mile rule on transporting firewood is state wide or just for the Adirondacks. The state is trying to stop/control the spread of the Emerald Ash Borer an invasive insect from Asia that kills ash trees. They have Been found in Ulster county. I believe all commercially sold fire wood (small bundles you see in some supermarkets ) must now be kiln dried to kill these pests before shipping to market.
Steve

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Holehawg and I both live within the 50 mile limit, so firewood won't be a problem. But yes, I believe the law is for the whole state and not just the Adirondacks

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Topher my family has a seasonal vacation cabin/bungalow in Sullivan County. The cabin has an old wood stove and we have a small supply of well seasoned wood I should get rid of before it becomes one big insect attractor.
 Steve

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
the firewood movement rule is statewide, and most states now have one in effect.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
bon fire and wood aint a problem...that steel dish pooleys talking about is the ticket.....congrats pooley on the early xmas gift... ;) ;D...so far i have no one with a problem with our overnight on either lake....still " researching"  burpppp.... ;) ;D :tipup: ::) :tipup:

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Awesome !   how about a date, have we picked one yet?

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Awesome !   how about a date, have we picked one yet?
no date yet but i,m building the trophy fer biggest fish.... ;) pics will follow... ;D

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: "The Date"....  I thought we were talking about the last weekend of Jan. or first weekend of Feb.  Joe, when is the Highland Lake tournament???  We don't want to conflict with that since most of us fish that tourney.

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
You guys are planning waaaaay ahead!
Get the flag!

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
highlands always around feb. 14th...i'll find out fer sure....

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Getting cold up here today, had snow spitting most of the afternoon ! It didn't get much above freezing up here, which is a bit unusual for this time of year

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
As far as I know, its the same flasher that I have....you will like it.. ;)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
real cold up this way...put a damper on my laying stone job...deer are moving well and chasing does.... ;) ;D

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
GOOD NEWS!!!  Syracuse Ice Show problem solved.  Johnny "Squid Boy" won't be having that surgery for torn rotator cuff......Get this.....Surgeon says the tear is so bad that it is inoperable!!  John will be able to join us in our ice fishing expeditions this year but we'll have to help by hauling his gear out.  He won't be pulling anything or putting any pressure on the arm FOREVER!!  But he's gonna get some REALLY GOOOD DRUGS!!!(for pain).

Everyone I've spoken to is reallylooking forward to the overnight trip.  It's really funny actually.........  most of the guys in the midwestern states and even upstate NY don't think it's a big deal to spend the night on the ic e....they do it all the time.  I wonder why it's so unusual for US to do it???  Do any of you have experience with night ice fishing??  What are you targeting mostly???  My usual trips consist of getting on the ice by 7AM and we usually leave by 3 or 4 PM......are we missing the best time??

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
While I'm here.....can we work on getting a date set for the overnight???   How about January 29 / 30 ??  Does that work for most of us?

Having set up lots of trips in the past, I know that not EVERYONE can make it on a particular day, but let's try for MAXIMUM attendance.  If the above does not work for most..... how about an alternate suggestion.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
GOOD NEWS!!!  Syracuse Ice Show problem solved.  Johnny "Squid Boy" won't be having that surgery for torn rotator cuff......Get this.....Surgeon says the tear is so bad that it is inoperable!!  John will be able to join us in our ice fishing expeditions this year but we'll have to help by hauling his gear out.  He won't be pulling anything or putting any pressure on the arm FOREVER!!  But he's gonna get some REALLY GOOOD DRUGS!!!(for pain).

Everyone I've spoken to is reallylooking forward to the overnight trip.  It's really funny actually.........  most of the guys in the midwestern states and even upstate NY don't think it's a big deal to spend the night on the ic e....they do it all the time.  I wonder why it's so unusual for US to do it???  Do any of you have experience with night ice fishing??  What are you targeting mostly???  My usual trips consist of getting on the ice by 7AM and we usually leave by 3 or 4 PM......are we missing the best time??

missing the evening/night bite for crappies and walleye.......

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
While I'm here.....can we work on getting a date set for the overnight???   How about January 29 / 30 ??  Does that work for most of us?

Having set up lots of trips in the past, I know that not EVERYONE can make it on a particular day, but let's try for MAXIMUM attendance.  If the above does not work for most..... how about an alternate suggestion.

I vote for Feb 5/6...mostly because Jan 21-23 is a weekend trip, and I'd like a weekend to be able to recover from that ( I have a feeling it is gonna be a long weekend)   and the Highland Tournament I believe is the 13th...just my 2 cents..

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Ice Balls while I'm glad John will be able to attend the Syracuse Ice Show sorry to hear that his condition is inoperable. Has John sought out a second opinion? One reason an overnight trip is an oddity here in S.E.NY. is that other then crappies ,walleye containing lakes are limited in number. Also for people like me and the Suffern.NY. gang who fish in two state parks when they are open to fishing the parks do not allow night fishing.
  I will have to call my friend latter today and see if he wants to go to the Adirondacks. I will suggest week of February 13 for our trip. Whatever date works for the majority of interested parties I will try to attend. Once a date is posted I will put in a request for time off ,may have to use plan I mentioned a few posts back. Did I miss which lake we are fishing or is that topic still open for debate.
 Steve

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
i saw ICE on a small beaver pond in sterling forest this morning!!!!!!! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.