New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095937 times)

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Steve:  I think the public access they talk about is located on the back end of the lake.  If it's the one I'm thinking of, there is a LONG drag with your gear throughthe woods.  If the snow is deep, it's a real tough trek.  My buddy and I have been circumventing this by parking in the driveway of a home right next to the public access (I know that's not legal, but apparantly the homeowners are not there in the Winter and we are careful not to do any damage).  There is no actual parking area by the public access, you just have to pull off to the side of the road (a very narrow road).
Anyway, we will be much better off if the owners of the Sand Beach bar allow us to park in their lot.  It's a much cleaner entry onto the lake which we'll need with all the gear we'll be pulling for the overnight.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Thanks for the reply Rodger , next time I'm in Sullivan county maybe take a road trip and try to find public access spot and see if there are any signs posted with lake regulations. The State does this at different lakes I fish usually the same info. but some times there are specific regulations for a particular lake. Also want to check out Peck's Market in Eldred if the have a propane tank exchange it maybe a smart move for someone with a twenty pound tank to bring it with them and switch rather then carrying a bunch of one pound tanks.
 Steve

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Funny you should mention that Propane tank thing.....  for the last few days I've been trying to locate a reasonably priced 5 lb. tank ( don't want to drag out a 20#) but the lowest price I can find so far is about $50.  Want to use the 5# for my Buddy heater.  Anybody know someone with a used 5# that he wants to part with?

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Thanks for the reply Rodger , next time I'm in Sullivan county maybe take a road trip and try to find public access spot and see if there are any signs posted with lake regulations. The State does this at different lakes I fish usually the same info. but some times there are specific regulations for a particular lake. Also want to check out Peck's Market in Eldred if the have a propane tank exchange it maybe a smart move for someone with a twenty pound tank to bring it with them and switch rather then carrying a bunch of one pound tanks.
 Steve

Steve, give Holehawg a chance to talk to Pete from the SandBar ( the bar on the lake )  everything should be ok.....Rodger, I am stocking up on 1lbers...I've checked around for a 5, but to no avail...

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yeah Chris...I've always used the 1 pounders too (camping, boat, etc.), but they're a real pain.  Firstly, they cost $3 bucks each and you can't have them refilled (at least not commercially around here), and then you've got to carry the emptys around until you can dispose of them.  Worst of all, they run out too fast and you have to keep changing them.
I'm going to keep looking for a 5# or 10# at the right price.  If I can't find one, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the $50.  If I find any a a real good price, do you want one??

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
For as much as I actually use the heater, I'm ok with the 1lbers...I think I used 3 or 4 of them total last year...plus, I get them at Wally World, and they run 2 for 5 bucks....

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well, heading out soon for Big D trip #2...Holehawg.....we are gonna get em this time ! :tipup:

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
was a a tad chilly in the boat last nite...should have brought the ice gear.... ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
we will have to go there again, this time with the underwater camera....gotta see that rock.... :)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
we will have to go there again, this time with the underwater camera....gotta see that rock.... :)
should be easy to find with 100 bucks worth of jigs hanging off it...lol..plus a few rod tips... ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.
Hey everyone,

I am back,  I hope the last 6 months has been good to everyone.  I cant wait for the hardwater, I have the itch like never before.

Paul

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Welcome back, see the prior posts....we are looking to do an overnight probably on Highland....you are invited !

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey everyone,

I am back,  I hope the last 6 months has been good to everyone.  I cant wait for the hardwater, I have the itch like never before.

Paul
hey paul...hows things ??????? good to have ya back....

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
welcome back!!!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
well, to kick the season off....I figured I'd post a couple pics of one of the newest ice fishers in the group...sitting atop of my newest ice fishing toy, holding my favorite rod !

6 weeks or so to go !

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
looking good...shes growing like a national debt..... ;) ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I know...where did the last 8 and a half months go?  she is such a fun little girl...always happy and smiling...I am convinced that she is Dawn's daughter more than my daughter !

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
love the pics!!!!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
She's Beautiful!!!  Hard to remember when mine were that little.  Little girls are THE BEST!!!  See ya soon Chris.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I got one step closer today....my inside shanty lights came in the mail.....gotta rig them up now.....I will have the 1 man and 2 man tents with me for the overnight trip in case it is needed...I gotta build new runners for both and then they will be ready

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Topher the expression on your daughter's face in the second photo is priceless.
  Steve

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I know...she is such a good natured, happy baby.....

On another note...Bibs and boots ordered for the upcoming season...along with some Bentley Fishing jigs......ice better come soon...

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Also I have a thought about the Overnight trip.....I propose Huntington, based on the fish quality and quantity, plus we can fish the backside one day and catch the crappie bite evening and morning.  As far as DEC/homeowners, that I am unsure of.....what are your guy's opinions on this?  Parking, there is enough for 7-8 vehicles, which in the past was more than plenty....just my 2 cents....I'm in either way for either lake....

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
topher has a good point...plus its close to my home if anybody needs phones  /showers /or a place to crash...forsterdale motor lodge is up the road...the old petes pub is there fer bar and grub....gas station /supplys 1 mile away....etc...etc...an d if dec gives us grief i can ask  my buddys on the lake if we can " camp " on their land.....its up to youse guys....

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Either lake is good with me, if a few people booked rooms at the Fosterdale Motor Lodge we could always run a vehicle or two back there after unloading equipment to create some parking space. I believe there is a theater called the Nut Shell near the launch on Huntington we maybe able to work out an agreement to use any parking lot they own.
 I also want to put out for discussion the idea of taking a collection and making a donation to the local fire or ambulance department where ever we fish. These folks would be the ones to respond to any emergency. I also think if any one owns a first aid kit they should bring it with them you never know when one might be needed.
 Topher thanks for the Fleet Farm information think I'm going to wait and see your and others flashers in action during my fishing trips this season before purchasing a unit.
 Steve

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Either lake is good with me, if a few people booked rooms at the Fosterdale Motor Lodge we could always run a vehicle or two back there after unloading equipment to create some parking space. I believe there is a theater called the Nut Shell near the launch on Huntington we maybe able to work out an agreement to use any parking lot they own.
 I also want to put out for discussion the idea of taking a collection and making a donation to the local fire or ambulance department where ever we fish. These folks would be the ones to respond to any emergency. I also think if any one owns a first aid kit they should bring it with them you never know when one might be needed.
 Topher thanks for the Fleet Farm information think I'm going to wait and see your and others flashers in action during my fishing trips this season before purchasing a unit.
 Steve

in my opinion, do not wait.....they will go fast at that price !

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Also I have a thought about the Overnight trip.....I propose Huntington, based on the fish quality and quantity, plus we can fish the backside one day and catch the crappie bite evening and morning.  As far as DEC/homeowners, that I am unsure of.....what are your guy's opinions on this?  Parking, there is enough for 7-8 vehicles, which in the past was more than plenty....just my 2 cents....I'm in either way for either lake....
That overnight trip sounds great! do you guys have room for one more?

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
okay fellas ..if its lake huntington.. :-\... i'm gonna talk to doug heinly or the nearin brothers  to ask permission...if either one says yes we're good to go.....as far as the dec  we'll handle any of that as it arises..... ;) ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
That overnight trip sounds great! do you guys have room for one more?

sure, why not !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.