New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095796 times)

Offline dabprod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Let me know what the slush condition is after you get back.

Sure will be nice to hear conditions at all the local lakes so we know what to expect. I'll be able to get out one day this week and can't decide if I want to go to White Lake, Big Pond or some other body.

Gary

Hey Gary,

Fished Wolf Lake this afternoon till dark, 12-16" of clear ice and no slush. Probably 12 fishermen on the lake, bite was slow. Couple of perch and one keeper pickerel,and a few dink perch. Guys next to me
did about the same. When I came in it was dark and had to use the headlights on my Argo, could see some guys on the west end of the lake had a couple of coleman lanterns lit, guess they were staying
a while longer. Beautiful day to be on the ice, mild temps, no wind and bright sunshine.

Last Sat afternoon we were checked by two DEC officers on ATV's, we were all legal but they told us they issued five tickets on the local lakes near me. They park at Wolf Lake, unload their ATV's or
snowmobiles and can check five other lakes besides ours before loading up and moving on. Didn't see them today tho.

I'll probably go out tomorrow afternoon if its not railing.

Dan
HARD WATER IS COOL !!!!!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks MT. I think the bite has been off for a while now. We will see what the rain tonight and tomorrow does to the ice but it looks like the cold returns this week.

I have been wanting to take the RZR over and check things out but need to be sure of good ice.

Cute fish and glad he will get a chance to grow up. I figure another year or two if all goes well to give the eyes a shot. There were some nice tigers in there before the draw down but who knows what their fate is.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks Dan. Sounds like you saw some of your tax dollars hard at work or was it play while getting paid?

Yea, they can hit Wolf, Yankee, Masten Louise Marie and Wanasink and break all the laws they would bust us for in a NY minute. ;)

You would think they could appreciate all us legal sportsman who pay the bills but instead they approach with the hope of issuing some paper. I had one who wanted to write me up because I didn't have my dog on a leash out in the middle of nowhere.

Tight lines.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Pooley, how did you guys make out today?    I / TFB finished the drywall and first coat about 10 minutes ago...d**n rectangular/triangular house  ::)   I'm hoping to get out tomorrow for the morning bite...
3 fish. things got a little screwed up, but we did get out. :-\
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Glad you guys made it out regardless......finish ed projects up tonite, and loaded the truck up for the morning...wish me luck, going to a lake that I have never fished before and have very few details about  :tipup:

Offline dabprod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Dan. Sounds like you saw some of your tax dollars hard at work or was it play while getting paid?

Yea, they can hit Wolf, Yankee, Masten Louise Marie and Wanasink and break all the laws they would bust us for in a NY minute. ;)

You would think they could appreciate all us legal sportsman who pay the bills but instead they approach with the hope of issuing some paper. I had one who wanted to write me up because I didn't have my dog on a leash out in the middle of nowhere.

Tight lines.

You're right Gary, pay for play.......I've had several verbal confrontations with them about riding on our lake and trails. They informed me real quick that they have the authority to come on our private property
anytime they want, and any fish we stock become the property of NY and they can regulate it anyway they want. A couple of years ago I was stopped by these guys 5 times in ONE day while riding my snow-
mobile on the lakes and trails that connect them, 5 times!!!!  They said they see so many sleds they can't remember everyone of them. BS. I ride alone most of the time but sometimes with 3 or 4 other guys
and if we are out most of the day we may run into at most 5 other people on sleds. I have to say I never got a ticket. My neighbour brings his old yellow lab on the ice with him and lets him run loose but leaves
a leash on him that drags along behind so he can say, oh, he just got loose. The DEC park at our club house/beach with their pick-up and two place trailer and take up 1/3 of the parking lot for most of the day.

Oh well, it could be worse, we could have NO ice and we'd complain about that. I just stay legal and enjoy as much of this as I can.
HARD WATER IS COOL !!!!!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I had one guy up at big pond, DEC who used to walk all the way across all the time just to shoot the breeze after he checked me once in the beginning of the season. Once while he was there talking with me 2 others showed up but from a different department, maybe forest rangers. Both of them did the full check of all my stuff while me and the other guy watched in amazement.

Always best to keep all your papers in order and make sure those who are with you do the same to avoid any problems. These days about the only place you can legally ride a machine is on the hard water so it is almost not worth owning them unless you have a hunting club with open land.

Gary

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular

You're right Gary, pay for play.......I've had several verbal confrontations with them about riding on our lake and trails. They informed me real quick that they have the authority to come on our private property
anytime they want, and any fish we stock become the property of NY and they can regulate it anyway they want. A couple of years ago I was stopped by these guys 5 times in ONE day while riding my snow-
mobile on the lakes and trails that connect them, 5 times!!!!  They said they see so many sleds they can't remember everyone of them. BS. I ride alone most of the time but sometimes with 3 or 4 other guys
and if we are out most of the day we may run into at most 5 other people on sleds. I have to say I never got a ticket. My neighbour brings his old yellow lab on the ice with him and lets him run loose but leaves
a leash on him that drags along behind so he can say, oh, he just got loose. The DEC park at our club house/beach with their pick-up and two place trailer and take up 1/3 of the parking lot for most of the day.

Oh well, it could be worse, we could have NO ice and we'd complain about that. I just stay legal and enjoy as much of this as I can.
Sounds like someone needs to put up a chain or cable across the entrance to your beach parking lot so they can't park there.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
Hammer hit it on the head !  I was going to post the same thing, this way if there is any property damage associated with vandals, trespassing etc.. you lower your risks being held liable for accidents, etc... best to post no trespassing signs and key/cable at this point in time.. and law enforcement has the right to patrol over your property but not harass  or challenge your rights under the new patriot act program!   ;D ;) oh man ..this is too funny.. seriously, cops are only interested in serving and protecting the peace governed by rules.. be it public or private lands, just abide by the rules/laws and if they are out of their jurisdiction, get their identity and a lawyer
lonelywolf lol

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
made it out this morning before the rains set in on the lake...quite a few flags...just short picks 17-18" mostly, jigged up a bunch of perch and a couple gills.....put everything back to get bigger ;D ;)

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
 Gary, I heard there were some nice tigers in there too before the draw down as well as those hybrid stripers. Knowing it is highly unlikely any hybrids can reproduce and knowing they do have shortage lifespans and knowing these stocking experiments were from long ago..chances are slim that those fish exist from those stocks.. I'm just hoping these 3 far between eye specimens are a sign of good things to come in a year or so.. I like lk oneida eyes,, but I would very much enjoy reading about walleye stockings in the lower lake regions where they would likely proliferate.. i think swing bridge and a few catskill resi waters 
would benefit from such stocking programs. I would think canonsville res pepacton res ashokan roundout even the nerversink along with swinging bridge res would be excellent choices for walleye stockings.. I likecatching and releasing huge smelly stinky trout from these waters but, i'll take walleye for the fish fry any weekend.
lonelywolf lol

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You never know what you might pull up in some of these places but I seriously doubt any of the hybrids will amount to any great fishery. I think the Stripers were doing OK for a while but have not heard much about them since the draw down.

I agree on the "Stinky" trout but those are Lakers and just fun to catch and release if they have some heft to them. Browns and Bows are great eating and one of these days i'll get a chance to taste the Walleyes and make a fair comparison.

So far this season seems to be off to a slow start around here and I sure hope things pick up in the next few weeks. If all goes the way the weather man says, bring your skates and cleats next week! It might be tough walking but it sure makes dragging all my gear pretty easy.

Gary

Offline timster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Hey Dan;
WE were on Wolf lake yesterday over by the club house we had 15 guys with us,,it was slow.
3 nice pick's one was 24" and 4.3 lbs,1 crappy and a couple of perch,The bass were hitting the larger bait,
all in all was a great day to be out.
Where were you fishing? ;D
Tim

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gary, I heard there were some nice tigers in there too before the draw down as well as those hybrid stripers. Knowing it is highly unlikely any hybrids can reproduce and knowing they do have shortage lifespans and knowing these stocking experiments were from long ago..chances are slim that those fish exist from those stocks.. I'm just hoping these 3 far between eye specimens are a sign of good things to come in a year or so.. I like lk oneida eyes,, but I would very much enjoy reading about walleye stockings in the lower lake regions where they would likely proliferate.. i think swing bridge and a few catskill resi waters 
would benefit from such stocking programs. I would think canonsville res pepacton res ashokan roundout even the nerversink along with swinging bridge res would be excellent choices for walleye stockings.. I likecatching and releasing huge smelly stinky trout from these waters but, i'll take walleye for the fish fry any weekend.
I hear ya, those big trout are fun to catch/suck to eat, would love to see some wallys in roundout, Even if they draw it down the waters so  deep the fish would survive!!!!!!!! 

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Hey Gary.... How ya doin'??  Still trying to beat the odds on Big Pond???
We fished a private lake in Sullivan this weekend.....and it's BRAGGING TIME!!
I nailed a 15" (13" girth) Black Crappie that weighed out at THREE POUNDS!!!  Hell of a fight on VERY light tackle.
We had over 45 fish total on Sat., but today was a real bust!
Are you guys going to the South Fallsburg Fire Dept. contest next Sat.??  If we get a bunch of guys from IS, we should make an event of it.  Let's talk it over and decide where to meet.
Also looking forward to the annual Highland Lake event.   Have to find someplace to crash for the weekend of Feb. 13  (my buddy who lives near there is going to Florida, so can't stay at his place).  Anyone know of a motel in the area of Highland???

Topher, Holehawg, Pooley, Mr. Cleran, YO, etc.  are we going make a day of it sometime this year???  Always a good time getting together with you guys.  Any ideas???

IceBalls

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I nailed a 15" (13" girth) Black Crappie that weighed out at THREE POUNDS!!!  Hell of a fight on VERY light tackle.
Are you guys going to the South Fallsburg Fire Dept. contest next Sat.??  If we get a bunch of guys from IS, we should make an event of it.  Let's talk it over and decide where to meet.
Also looking forward to the annual Highland Lake event.   Have to find someplace to crash for the weekend of Feb. 13  (my buddy who lives near there is going to Florida, so can't stay at his place).  Anyone know of a motel in the area of Highland???

Topher, Holehawg, Pooley, Mr. Cleran, YO, etc.  are we going make a day of it sometime this year???  Always a good time getting together with you guys.  Any ideas???

IceBalls

Whenever it is decided, I'm game.....I know for sure that Highland is a go for me, and after that its an every other weekend til seasons out....gotta take care of my lil one...hopefully I'll get out this coming weekend as long as everything is ready

Offline pdbjr1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yeah I'm a redneck, I could ice fish for a living.

Are you guys going to the South Fallsburg Fire Dept. contest next Sat.??  If we get a bunch of guys from IS, we should make an event of it. 

IceBalls

I'll be there.

Heaven is a Jack and Coke in one hand, a jig pole in the other and being surrounded by the ones that don't mind you do both.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
"Hey Gary.... How ya doin'??  Still trying to beat the odds on Big Pond???"

You won't find anyone who beats those odds better!

Nice to hear from you and your crew Ice Balls. The more of you who chase those dinks and scalley critters at other ponds the more fun I have doing what I get a chubby from up at BP.

It is all good and if catching fish, any fish, is what floats your shanty then go for it. I never had enough of a battle from a perch, pickerel or crappie to peak my frost bitten interest. ;D

So far, this year, it seems like White Lake, Swinging Bridge, Big Pond and Huntington have all been pretty sucky but I am doing just fine pound for pound in the little time I have spent on the ice.

I am always happier with a good meal rather than a bunch of snacks! :)

Drop me a PM if you want to go after some real fish but I never fish at the contests or on the weekends unless there are Labatt Blue's or Jose Cuervos down them holes.

Gary

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac

IceBalls
i'll be at highland tourney as will be topher....i might try fallsburg this sat. how much and where do ya go to start there ??????????? (been working 2 jobs... ::) but gonna take feb. weekends off to get my icefishing in ...) as for our gathering pooleys hashing it out...i think maybe we better hurry cause me thinks feb is all we is gonna have for ice this year....lots of rain last night and lots coming today.... :-\

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i'll be at highland tourney as will be topher....i might try fallsburg this sat. how much and where do ya go to start there ??????????? (been working 2 jobs... ::) but gonna take feb. weekends off to get my icefishing in ...) as for our gathering pooleys hashing it out...i think maybe we better hurry cause me thinks feb is all we is gonna have for ice this year....lots of rain last night and lots coming today.... :-\

Joe;  Fallsburg contest is held at a private lae belonging to the Fire Dept.....I can't remember the nme othe place....will hve to call them to check i out aan....will post directins shortly.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
GEEEZ!!  Reading my last post I must seemlike a real "spaz"....every other word is missing a letter!!  Better check out my PC.
Will check out address of lake and get directions.  Let you know

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
as for our gathering pooleys hashing it out...i think maybe we better hurry cause me thinks feb is all we is gonna have for ice this year....lots of rain last night and lots coming today....

By the end of the week the temps are gonna be in the single digits up here.  up guys may have to come up here..... ;)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
This rain can melt alot of ice but doubtful  it will ruin those lks with 12" + ice.. will be interesting to see how much this warm rain melts the ice for next week. I know the thickness of the lks i recently fished before this crazy weather..should prove interesting to see.
lonelywolf lol

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i'm not against that. jimmy c.. ;) got a warm floor where i can crash in my sleeping bag.... ;D

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Any time HoleHawg... But I may have to get a bigger fridge so there is room for more beer. ;)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Any time HoleHawg... But I may have to get a bigger fridge so there is room for more beer. ;)
i have been hitting it alittle hard lately.... ;) ;D

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
as fast as it would be drank, youse may be able to leave it outside  ;D

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
You and the Topher clan are welcome too...  may need help with HoleHawg's inebriated carcuss. ;)

Offline dabprod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey Dan;
WE were on Wolf lake yesterday over by the club house we had 15 guys with us,,it was slow.
3 nice pick's one was 24" and 4.3 lbs,1 crappy and a couple of perch,The bass were hitting the larger bait,
all in all was a great day to be out.
Where were you fishing? ;D
Tim

Hi Tim,

We were about 1/3 of the way down the lake, straight out from my house. Three guys a kid and a dog. I saw people out from the beach but didn't think it was that many. Did you have a grill
or a fire, I could see some smoke. Were you the ones with lanterns after it got dark, I could see several of them when I came off the ice. Who from WL were you fishing with? Where you were
is where I fished last year during the fishing contest, a guy behind me won with a 24" 4lb+ pick.

Dan
HARD WATER IS COOL !!!!!

Offline dabprod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hammer hit it on the head !  I was going to post the same thing, this way if there is any property damage associated with vandals, trespassing etc.. you lower your risks being held liable for accidents, etc... best to post no trespassing signs and key/cable at this point in time.. and law enforcement has the right to patrol over your property but not harass  or challenge your rights under the new patriot act program!   ;D ;) oh man ..this is too funny.. seriously, cops are only interested in serving and protecting the peace governed by rules.. be it public or private lands, just abide by the rules/laws and if they are out of their jurisdiction, get their identity and a lawyer

mtbusch, I know what you and hammer mean, we have everything posted and patrolled. Can't close off the parking lot, would keep our guests from using it. Its just something we have to put up with in the winter.
Seldom see them in the summer or hunting season. I just stay legal and advise my guests and neighbours do the same.

Dan
HARD WATER IS COOL !!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.