Author Topic: Suggesions for Rainbow cooked on the Ice??  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Meatro14

• IceShanty Rookie
Suggesions for Rainbow cooked on the Ice??
« on: Nov 24, 2006, 05:59 PM »
Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Suggesions for Rainbow cooked on the Ice??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2006, 06:05 PM »
I have one of those small round grills, portable. I use charcol, for my heat source. I rap my trout or what ever fish, in foil tightly. It cooks in its own steam, and comes out very juicy. It will need salt and pepper to flavor. Once the charcol is hot, it doesnt take long to cook
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Meatro14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2006, 12:19 AM »
thanks pikemaster...do you use any lard when you cook fish?

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2006, 08:03 AM »
nope, I didnt, just steamed them in their own juice
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Holewatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • in a trance watching the flag
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2006, 10:08 AM »
Wrapping in foil is great, put a few sliced onions down first put a sprig of rosemary on top of a few pats of butter on top of the fish then wrap tightly prick a couple of fork holeson the top and when the steam starts wait 5 mins and it's ready. the butter and rosemary dont take up too much space, but makes the taste unbelievable.
I need to go to the bathroom, but it might flip up if I go.

Offline Meatro14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2006, 06:49 PM »
thanks guys

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2006, 12:52 PM »
If you like fried Trout here's what I do the night before fishing-

Put what ever you like to bread your trout with in a gallon Ziplock bag, season it well with what ever you like

Pre cook some spuds, cool then dice and place in a gal. Ziplock

cut up a couple of onions if you like them, put in gal. Ziplock

Three or four strips of bacon (for the cooking oil), put in a sandwich baggie

One lemon

Large skillet and stove

Put all of this in your daypack

After you've caught and properly dressed your trout-put'em in the baggie with the coating shake'um good and give'um a rest there while you render the bacon.  After bacon is rendered place your trout in the skillet, brown on one side then turn and quickly add onions and spuds to opposite side of skillet.  After second side is golden brown turn once more on each side to finish.  When the trout is finished cooking the spuds and onions should be browned nicely and done too!  Fork your lemon and squeeze over trout, plate up then feast :D

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2006, 04:09 PM »
I really have never liked eating trout which was a bummer since they are so easy to catch here in Montana.  I always thourght they tasted fishy compared to perch and walleye.  So last year my brother and I caught a mess of them and decided that we would experiment with different ways to cook them until we found a way we liked them.  The wife was gone for the weekend so I didn't have to worry about her complaining about all the dishes.  We fileted the fish first then we cooked trout about 20 different ways.  We tried everything from bar-b-quing them (even with b-b-q sauce) to boiling, to wrapping in tinfoil with the lemon, onion, and butter.

We both agreed that our favorite was to fry the filets in a couple of tablespoons of sesame oil and soy sauce.  The sesame oil really takes all the fishy taste away and leaves the meat really moist.   I also topped some of the fish with an asian ginger salad dressing which I thought was awesome.

No more throwing the trout back in the lake for me.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2006, 11:29 AM »
I subscribe to the tinfoil method, my variantion is I like to bring some lemons,lines and oranges, slice them up, place them on either side of the fish, they flavour the fish nice, add opion and dill if you got it

Offline thehunter696

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Land of the Midnight Sun
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2006, 03:47 PM »
BBQ is the way to cook a fish fillet.

Fillet the fish with a sharp knife, filleting fish without a sharp knife can leave you with, some beat up looking fillets.
 When you get them off, cut into serving size, and rub them with a little oil, and season them by sprinkling them with seasoning salt, garlic granules, a little onion powder, and a little black pepper..... I've added a little chill powder and paprika to the mix before and has come out good.
 I like to bbq fish on a hot grill bout 400 or even a little hotter.
 Set the fillet pieces on the grill, SKIN side down first. Doing this will keep your fish from bending up, grilling them for a bout 2-3min per side.
 Grilling larger fish, You'll have to bring the grill heat down a little to prevent from burning, and maybe add a minute or 2 to the cooking time.

All the spice mix can be made at home to your preference,(By tasting it before taking it out on the lake) to make it a little easier. Placing spices into a sealing jar or something of that sort.
 I like to serve my fish with already cooked rice with butter in a foil pouch and some vegetables grilled with the fish.

Well that should get ya started, ENJOY.

If your an adventurist Grill the fishes head to, for the cheeks,and eyes the best part of the whole fish, mmmm.
The nameless men who nameless rivers travel,
And in strange valleys greet strange deaths alone;
The grim, intrepid ones who would unravel
The mysteries that shroud the Polar Zone.         

by Robert W. Service

Offline Jim_R

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' Partner
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2007, 07:48 AM »
My variation for the tin foil trout is to put the trout on the foil, in the cavity put a hunk of butter, couple splashes of beer, and drizzle with hot sauce.  Wrap them up and cook'em.  This works just as well on charcoal, coals of a fire, or propane grill.  We eat most of our trout this way.  Delicious!

Hardwater...is there any other?

Offline bergal1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2007, 04:21 PM »
Wrap 2 - 3 slices of bacon around the fish and seal the aluminum foil with several folds.  Do not place directly on coals.  Let cook for 10 - 15 minutes above coals.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2007, 07:02 PM »
pan fried using a coleman stove, butter or extra virgin olive oil, salt & pepper, a plate, a fork, and a sleeve for a napkin (unless you fish with your wife)...

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2009, 11:29 AM »
 I also use the tinfoil method. I use Molly Mcbutter, Laries(sp) seasoning salt,lemon pepper, and miniced garlic (or garlic in the small jars)(not too much). Double wrap in tinfoil and I cook them on my Mr Heater on low. Can't beat it.  :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2009, 02:53 PM »
I have never tried it, but I have been told that filling the cavity with mayo and then wrapping it in foil and then putting it on the grill is delicious. I want to give it a try. Has anyone ever done it this way and how does it turn out??? :tipup:

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2009, 06:44 AM »
Sorry man just thinking about Mayo makes my stomach turn.

Offline archetype_wyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:01 AM »
What do you guys do about the bones? What do you use for condiments if you cook them bare in tin foil?
Life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. ~Bill Hicks

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2009, 01:21 PM »
Sorry man just thinking about Mayo makes my stomach turn.

Thinking about baked mayo is making my stomach turn.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2010, 02:37 AM »
Mayo is oil and eggs.

For salmon:

Tin foil, large lettuce leaf, cover with mayo, add salt pepper, add 8 oz salmon filet, repeat lettuce,mayo and seasonings. Wrap and grill.

It takes the fishy taste out and leaves the filet moist and delicious.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:22 PM »
pan fried using a coleman stove, butter or extra virgin olive oil, salt & pepper, a plate, a fork, and a sleeve for a napkin (unless you fish with your wife)...

Yep, great for bows and specks.   :)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:29 PM »
For lakers I like to BBQ.
Skin side down over medium heat, score the meat with fillet knife at 1" intervals, add generous ammount of liquid smoke followed by some hickory smoked salt, mesquite smoked salt, tex mex seasoning, spicey mesquite seasoning and cook with the lid on or if using an open fire cover with tin foil (place rocks on the corners to keep it from blowing away). Cook until flakey and serve with tinfoil baked seasoned potatoes and a can of beans.

The open fire method adds even more of that yummy smokey flavour to the fish.
If using an open fire let it burn almost completely down to coals so as not to burn the fish.   :nono:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.