Author Topic: Shappell Wide House 6500i  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shappell Wide House 6500i
« on: Jan 17, 2018, 04:28 PM »
I am thinking about purchasing one and wondering if anyone has any pros/cons about them?  How do they stack up compared to a comparable model Clam/Eskimo/Otter? 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Shappell Wide House 6500i
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2018, 05:32 PM »
my brother to it (the wh6500 non insulated) leaks on a seam they ran across the roof. yours may or may not have that seam. the thermowelds do freeze when heating on my shappell fx100i and it freezes about 2 feet up from the ice plate. they may leak if it gets enough melted snow or rain, but i am unsure of that because i only used my fx100i twice and it didn't snow hard enough to make water from heating.
 the rest of the fabric does not freeze.

i had one pole fall out of a hub mount. when shappell owned it, they sent the pole replacement. they wanted me to glue it back together, but i insisted on a new pole.

i like the twin doors and are C shaped and the grommets on the wind skirt.

i like the windows and placement, although velcro windows always leak when snow melts on them or rains.

i like that they are removal/replacable.

my gander mountain/eskimo 8x8 thermo does get wet when it snows hard or rains on it and acts like a sponge. then it gets heavy to take home and drips water every where. it is very hard to dry it out and i have to let the water run out of it in the bath tub and then move it out where our furnace can slowly dry it. it takes a long time to dry it.
it uses the same material or so it seems with the polyfill insulation inside two layers of what is not water proof materials.

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2018, 04:26 PM »
Is it fair to say that a Shappell is a slight downgrade from the big names? Clam,Eskimo, Otter?

Offline jmw5964

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2018, 08:19 PM »
I have had my schappell for three years now and it has been great no problems would not hesitate to buy another

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:48 AM »
Thanks for the responses folks!  I think I’m going to pull the trigger on one but finding a local retailer that has an insulated model in stock hasn’t been easy

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:42 AM »
would be best if you can go look at all of them in person.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.