Author Topic: Storing your portable shanty in the off season?  (Read 3908 times)

Offline zuren

• IceShanty Rookie
Storing your portable shanty in the off season?
« on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:48 PM »
A couple years ago I posted a question comparing the Dewalt/Ontario style ice huts to portable pop-ups like the Eskimo Fatfish 949i:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=310748.msg3258018#msg3258018

I did not get a ton of replies but the consensus seems to be that between the 2 options, a portable wins over the Dewalt/Ontario style shelters.

So for those with portables, where and how do you store them?  My garage and barn have rodent issues, and I found earlier this fall that mice went after my pop-up hunting blind that has very little to offer in terms of nesting material.  They would have a field day with the insulated material of a pop-up ice shelter, so I would have to get a storage tote or something else rodent-proof.  I'm just curious to know what others do?

I suppose that is one place where a Dewalt hut wins over an expensive pop-up; the tarp/canvas is easily and cheaply replaced if damaged.

Thanks! 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Storing your portable shanty in the off season?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:29 PM »
The lady of the house should introduce you to a product called Bounce, used in the clothes dryer to prevent static cling.
Toss in a few fresh/unused  into your shanty. Rodents are repelled by the scent.  If possible, stuff all this in a large contractor trash bag and twist and tie.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:59 PM »
I store my hub in a closet in my house. If rodents find it there I have bigger issues at hand...
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline basit325

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:21 AM »
I store my hub in my laundry room. I also leave the bag open a bit so it can dry out after use.
Their is a fine line between fishing and sitting there looking stupid.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:24 AM »
I remove the canvas from the sled, I fold it up and put in a large bin with some moth balls. I place the sled and bin into a shed and keep there until the following season. Have had no issues with rodents at all.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:27 AM »
As Idahogator said, Bounce works but storing in a rodent-free location is the best solution. I can't get myself motivated to remove the tent, but that's a sure fire way to prevent vermin damage as well.

Offline FISH4WISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:03 AM »
I store mine in the basement right next to the laundry products.

F4W

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:00 AM »
I store my portables inside my wheelhouse and mice can't enter it. If I had your mouse problem I would try to find a contractor that works with large sizes of PVC pipe. You could probably get a length of left over pipe and a couple caps pretty cheap. Drill some small holes for ventilation. I thought of a Christmas tree storage bag, but they are made of fabric.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:28 AM »
My hub shanties hang from wires in the rafter of my pole barn. so far no mice!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:39 AM »
buy a bucket of just one bite in pouches and toss them around and keep some in the tent in case they want to make it their home. cold temps bring them in from the outside. i use them in cars too.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:06 PM »
Should have seen the nest the mice made of Bounce sheets, nicest smelling you ever seen, then they were bowling with the mothballs.  Been there, done that, BS.  Take the material off and store it dry in a suspended tote box in the garage or basement.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2018, 06:42 PM »
They loved making Bounce nests in my fifth wheel. They bowl with cedar balls also.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:55 AM »
Should have seen the nest the mice made of Bounce sheets, nicest smelling you ever seen, then they were bowling with the mothballs.  Been there, done that, BS.  Take the material off and store it dry in a suspended tote box in the garage or basement.

They loved making Bounce nests in my fifth wheel. They bowl with cedar balls also.

You guys must have clean mice, they're dirty around here and like to stay that way.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:41 PM »
I store mine on top of a 55 gal. plastic barrel.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.