Author Topic: Hating on my 2-man hub  (Read 4056 times)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hating on my 2-man hub
« on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:43 AM »
I have a two man hub so I can fish with my teenage son. Really not liking it.  Once it's set up it is fine. But it's not very mobile if you are scouting for fish. I went with a hub because it is light weight. But it was a pain in the a$$ to tear down and shove in the bag when you are done fishing. And i think I tired myself out more putting in the anchors so we would not get blown away by the wind. I would move to a two man flip-over if they weren't so heavy and expensive. Saw some nice 9nes at the Milwaukee ice show a few weeks ago. I also thought about getting my son his own one-man flip-over but then we wouldn't be fishing together. Plus he would have to pull the sled himself. He didn't like that idea. I'm just frustrated with it all.
jbird68

Offline icefever

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hating on my 2-man hub
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:59 AM »
I can fully relate to you.  I fought with my two man hub for four years. Hated it everytime i used it. I finally broke a support rod in the cold the other day. Went to town and bought a Clam one man insulated flip over fish trap sled. Love every bit of it.. I cant believe i was using that hub for so long. Go make the purchase and you will not regret it.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2017, 10:42 AM »
In my experience, all hubs are NOT created equally. My Shappell WideHouse 5500 is a breeze to setup and takedown. Going on it’s 6th season still going as strong as ever. I wouldn’t mind a decent 1-man flip though. What hub were you using?
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:11 PM »
I have an Eskimo quick fish II. I have an older HT Iceman Escape one man flip over which is good for solo fishing.
jbird68

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2017, 01:28 PM »
Buy a Eskimo ice anchor tool for 15 bucks and bring a cordless drill to install and remove them. Then build a Smitty sled for a two man flip over for the Long hauls. It makes it a lot easier. Like they say work smarter not harder 

As far as putting your hub back in the bag buy a couple tie down straps like you use on a boat cover. When you get your hub folded up clip the buckles together and cinch tight. Put it in your sled and go. Put it back in the bag at home after you dry it out.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2017, 02:38 PM »
they are not very mobile.a couple things that would help,get eskimo brand ice anchors these are super easy to put in by hand.find fish before you set up because chances of them coming back in waves thru out the day is what ive found they do.so if your on fish they will come back in time.i have a shappell widehouse 6500 and at the end of the day I don't pack It up I will roll it up and throw it in my large sled.its always frozen anyhow so putting in the bag is a pain plus I throw mine in the tub to thaw out.now my polarbird 4t is a pretty mobile hub with the floor I can drag it with my gear inside to another spot pretty easy and the bag is super easy to throw it back in tighten a few buckles and good enough for the trip home.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:00 PM »
I have a Smitty Sled and last year I bought a jet sled for my gear. This year I bought the Eagle Claw rod case. I put the sled on one side of the Smitty and the rod case on the other. Then I put the hub on top of that. Then put tie down straps over all of it. I have eskimo anchors that came with the hub. I was looking at the Ion adapter to use with my power auger to sink the anchors. Just didn't pull the trigger. I'm looking for a two man flip over.
jbird68

Offline Kingperch101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:36 PM »
I have a clam pop up shack for me and my high school brother, this is a spacy shack but is a too much of a hassle in the wind and is a pain in general especially if it freezes up!

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:50 AM »
I just picked up the Shappell Bay Runner II.  It's going to be very easy to pick-up and move quickly.  Nice shelf for heater/electronics.  The major flaws I see with it are water in the bottom of the sled, as well as ice cleats tearing up the plastic; and then possibly concerns with the wind taking it.  (I will probably install some hardware to be able to anchor the shanty to the ice if need be.)

Tear down/setup is about 10 seconds.  It's essentially it's own cover when it's stored.  Enough room for two guys.

We'll see how it does.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:56 AM »
Hubs aren't meant to be mobile. Sure they're lighter than a flip over, that's because it doesn't have a 50 pound sled and two 5 lbs chairs attached to it. Yes, they are a pain to throw in the bag, that's why i leave the bag in the truck. I have plenty of time to bag it in my garage when me and my warm hands are prepared to do it.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:28 AM »
In my experience the bigger hubs are a little easier to set up then the smaller ones. As with anything the more you practice  a skill the better you will become at it.

When using a Smitty sled, a hub shack is the best option in my opinion.

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2018, 06:27 PM »
You might look at or consider a two man suitcase style. I know they fell out of popularity but they are light , warm , easy setup, take down . I have a clam 2000 that I bungee cord my gear on with provided hooks, two milk crates that become a table when fishing. Shappell still makes them & you can usually find used ones. I had a Viking shelter for years . Nice way to fish

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Now I'm between getting another 1-man flip-over or a 2-man flip-over. If I get another 1-man I would need to get another heater and use twice as much propane. And my son would have to pull his own sled.  But I still like the idea of just being a 2-man so we can still fish together... Even though the 2-man would be heavier.
jbird68

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:43 AM »
Something here makes me scratch my head.....

He’s a teenager and doesn’t like the idea of pulling his own sled? He’s not 6...he’s a teenager? Unless he has physical limitations he should be more than able to do this. That makes me question his motivation to fish. A teenager who truly wants to be on the ice will have no issues pulling a sled. 

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:32 AM »
 i get it i have a shapell 5500 and they were smart enough to make an over size bag to put it in. i did find that with an old belt of mine , around the mid section, lay it out, set the hub on it and cinch the belt, ( especially when material is cold), of the hub, does make it easier to pack. now all, shantys have their short comings the suitcase style pack in a vehicle a pull pretty nice but are like setting up the old camp tents with the poles on the inside, the hubs you know all about, but are the lightest, the flips i would say, though never owning one are the most mobile, but the heaviest. On your hub as you open it out on the ground keep flipping it around and you will find one on the hubs more ready to be pulled out then some of the others,some will be impossible until you open it up I also carry eskimo stakes, and a drill , have even just tied my auger on the windy side until I get control of things. none of them are perfect though, good luckI do fish on cold days, but sometimes avoid the real windy ones

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:57 AM »
Ive got a fairly new, 3 years or so, Otter 2 man, and its a pain to set up as well.  I do find though, the more I set it up, the easier it is.  Although yesterday, 3 or 4 poles came out of the 'hubs' so I had to deal with that,,,,not a big deal, but still.   I dont use mine too often, so thats probably part of the problem.  Usually for overflow, or if its extra cold out and I dont take my snowmobile and pull my 2 man, modified, Yukon.  Im going to buy a one man eskimo wide one.  I like those....then i'll only have 4 shantys and a jet sled.....ahhh the hits just keep coming.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:45 AM »
yep ditch the bag for starters. use after the season is over for rodent protection with some poison inside.
i use cinch straps to keep the hub poles together and one in the center of mass and that one goes on first.

try scouting freestyle with no shelter and leave the hub for warming up and a base camp of sorts. i put my sled inside the hub, but i buy big hub shelters.

don't use snow on the skirting. use your ice shaving from the inside to bank those against the windward side(s) and kick them up against that wall on the inside of the shelter.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:56 PM »
Something here makes me scratch my head.....

He’s a teenager and doesn’t like the idea of pulling his own sled? He’s not 6...he’s a teenager? Unless he has physical limitations he should be more than able to do this. That makes me question his motivation to fish. A teenager who truly wants to be on the ice will have no issues pulling a sled.

Is not that he won't pull a sled. He already carries the hub on his back and the rod case in a free hand. I just like fishing together. If we both had 1 man sleds I feel like we would be fishing apart. I actually enjoy sitting next to him.
jbird68

Offline icemann13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:11 PM »

Is not that he won't pull a sled. He already carries the hub on his back and the rod case in a free hand. I just like fishing together. If we both had 1 man sleds I feel like we would be fishing apart. I actually enjoy sitting next to him.

And this is what the sport is all about...enjoyment. Anyway a person wants to get it. Together, alone, it doesn't matter. Some of my best memories in life include my son side by side.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:18 PM »
I went from the frabill sled bottom. Wich is no longer available to the Eskimo I fish and I agree much more of a pain in the ass especially in the wind. It’s a great shanty but u want to set up wher u know ur going to stay. My one suggestion would be get the adapter for your drill for the anchors. Take me less than 2 min to put all 6 and sometimes 8 anchors in that way. Granted I have to bring ur drill but we’ll worth the weight compared to the effort otherwise.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:30 PM »
I looked at the Ion quick disconnect adapter that comes with the anchor driver bit. A bit pricey but only because I've spent way too much on gear thus year. It's addictive.
jbird68

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:27 PM »

Got it...that makes a little more sense. When I use my hub it goes in the sled with everything else so I just assumed you traveled in a similar way.

Getting down to brass tacks here...if I was in your shoes this is what I would consider doing.
1) Get your hands on a 2 person flip or crossover like the Evo2. Maybe a Shappell FX200. Roomy and lightweight.
2) Keep the hub. There are situations where they are perfect.
3) Build a push bar on your sled. If you already run a Smitty it'll be easy to modify it.  If you don't then build one that sits as low to the ice as the snow cover you get allows you to go. Mate this sled up with a flip over with long enough sides so that you don't have to set it's sled right down on the ice. Just leave it on your home built sled.
4) Leave a little bit of real estate on your skis behind the rear risers. Drill holes in the skis big enough to accommodate ice anchors. If it's windy pin the skis down with those ice anchors. 

With the push bar you'll have one guy pushing, one guy pulling. All gear will be in the sled, attached to the sled, etc. Switch jobs if you desire. With two of you scooting that thing along it will be effortless. One of my home built sleds allows me to do this. It's great. We load that sucker up and it's effortless.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.