The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: >> Off - Season Thread <<  (Read 36886 times)

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
Re: >> Off - Season Thread <<
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2017, 11:56 AM »
Steve- Thanks for your questions and comments! It is illegal to harvest a female with cubs,... I'm sure it happens but it is something that is hammered into bear hunters to take extra caution to avoid. My brother harvested a "dry sow" for instance last year. Meaning a sow without cubs. Another thing is all bears are subject to a game warden inspection as well as a kill site inspection. These help keep folks honest. My son and I have seen two sows with cubs this year and a few grizzlies. I have eaten tag soup many years and our spring season ends soon so that may be the case again, which is fine and my son also knows that. I look at bear hunts as almost a once in a lifetime thing, right now we are just working at finding the boy a real nice bear. I'm not even carrying a tag, one bear is enough... Spring bear hunts allow hunters to harvest a bear with a fuller coat, guard hairs they have help the coat look amazing... by the time fall arrives those guard hairs have laid down and many bears (boars especially) have rubbed a lot leaving their coats not nearly as beautiful or bare in some spots.

As for the sheds,... well I like to collect them mainly  :) My wife thinks its silly that I like them so much,... so I've sold a number of real nice sets in the past to show her there is some reward in it (wish I had them back!). Its a type of hoarding... I think without that shed I'll lose them memory of that trip/hike, not the case... she's right I have a problem  ;) I'll end up selling them off soon as I'd like to purchase a new rifle. I've also done some projects with them,... I'll take some pictures of those, pretty cool too I must say. You'll see!

Weekend is getting close, enjoy and be safe!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2017, 06:28 PM »
Tell Rachel to leave those antlers alone!!!! ;D
FYI...QUIET WATERS initiative
 was REJECTED:)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2017, 05:36 AM »
Kyle thank you for the reply. We only have black bears here in New York I believe the hunting season is in the fall same time you can hunt for white tail deer. I thought maybe your overall bear population was high enough that state wildlife officials feel the population could be smaller to avoid more bear /human conflicts. I know people use the shed antlers for making knife handles or a couple sets to make a hanging lamp.
 Have a good Memorial Day weekend.
Steve

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2017, 10:29 PM »
Nice laker from today on flathead. polson end in 10' of water.

Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Saturday sunrise flathead lake. lake trout where hungry this weekend.in one week they drank 1 gallon of sugar water.had to share fishing hole this weekend with this eagle. he also showed me where to fish thank eagle. Sunday had no camera with me and landed three more in the same size range what a gas on the ultra lite.

Strippnthedream : nice laker they where hungry fish this weekend, did you target any other fish while you where on the lake?
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2017, 08:39 PM »
Yes. The boys and I were targeting shmallies. Only caught a few of those. Macs had me entertained. All in all good weekend. Headed back up on Friday.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2017, 09:35 AM »
Nice fish fellas!
Beautiful sunrise G!

Antler projects
(holds 2 bottles)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2017, 08:48 PM »
Great fish Will and Dana! Kyle, the antler projects look fantastic. Nice work Boys:)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #68 on: Jun 01, 2017, 07:24 AM »
Strippinthedream,G fish congratulations to both of you on catching the lake trout. Kyle I like your ideas for using the shed antlers ,wine bottle holder is a clever idea. Also like the hat/coat rack did you assemble the wood work antler is mounted to it looks like you glued together a few different boards.
Steve

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Jun 01, 2017, 09:00 AM »
Thanks guys, Kyle that is some top notch work. like the hat/coat rack the best.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"

Tinker

« Reply #70 on: Jun 01, 2017, 09:26 AM »
Silly me, and here I keep checking this site for some summer fishing reports.  http://www.myfishfinder.com/  I have never tried to post a link so not sure how that is supposed to work, but most of you guys know the site  ;D I realize this thread is not just fishing and I do enjoy seeing the sheds and reports of mushrooms but is there some sort of bad juju from using the my fish finder site or why doesn't anyone use it?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #71 on: Jun 01, 2017, 09:54 AM »
It's been that way for years Tinker...nothing really ever happens over there.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jun 01, 2017, 11:31 AM »
Thanks guys- The coat rack was a team effort! Always helps to have different ideas and I agree that one is the best, probably because of the collaboration.

Tinker- I don't even log into fish finder anymore. Never really has been much there for me. Ice shanty could work for all seasons really. Don't see why not...

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #73 on: Jun 02, 2017, 01:56 AM »
Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.....A bunch of great stuff added while I was on a short hiatus !!

@ Stripp - Very nice fish sir !! I think the lakers would have had my attention as well.

@ G fish - Once again, amazing photos.....Love the hummingbird shot !!

@ Kyle - I see you're not only good at finding the sheds, but putting them to use too.....Excellent work sir !!

@ Tinker - MyFishFinder is just weak as far as forums go.....I have yet to find any use for that site.

Well, as you can all tell, I made it back to the world of cell service & internet today. The first camping trip of the season went very well & the weather was the best I can remember for a Memorial Day weekend in Montana. I racked up 115 miles on the Maverick & put it to the test in the massive amount of snow left in the high country. All I can say is WOW.....that thing will blow through some serious snow. Fun, fun, fun !! Anyways, I do have some pics to share as well as a short cheesy cell phone video of my campsite.

Video of my campsite -

Beautiful scenery & plenty of snow !!

Busted some trail !!

2016 Can Am Maverick 1000R XXC taking a breather !!

A deer resting peacefully !!

Sign at the Odell Trailhead !!

Looking up the Odell drainage !!

Sign at the Lacy Creek Trailhead !!

Good snowpack remaining in the Pioneer Mountain Range !!

Maverick Mountain Ski Area !!

Took a dirt road off the top of the Scenic Byway & ended up in Elkhorn Hot Springs backyard !!

My personalized "Chrome For Kids" specialty license plate on the Maverick !!

Take care & play safe everyone !!

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Jun 02, 2017, 06:34 PM »
Spitz spent some time on horseback last archery season in that area wow its good for the soul country.  cam-am must be bad ass  them trails in there are some of the roughest I have seen.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #75 on: Jun 02, 2017, 10:54 PM »
Looks like a great trip Wayne!
I threw together a Morel video :)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #76 on: Jun 04, 2017, 06:32 AM »
SpitzoMT nice group of photos and video . Missoulafish you sure found a lot of Morels thanks for the video.
Steve

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jun 05, 2017, 08:23 AM »
Sweet set up Wayne! I've never stayed at that campground, looks like you had it about to yourself! Why did yo go Can-am? Thought you used to have a Yamaha wheeler and I saw you have Ditch Pickles for sleds (I have a buddy who calls them that, kinda funny  ;)). I think Ski-doo/Can-am put out some good machines, just curious what you think...

Mike- Awesome! 

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #78 on: Jun 06, 2017, 08:49 AM »
@ G fish - It's illegal to take the Maverick on those trails. It's to wide at 60". I've taken the ATV into Schwinegar Lake & Lake of the Woods several times & I believe they are the only lakes you can take OHV's into off the Scenic Byway now. Yes, the trails in that area are very rough !!

@ Mike - Thank you.....It was a great outing. So relaxing to get away from town, texts & a ringing phone lol. Loved the Morel vid !!

@ mr.clean - Thank you for the kind words sir !!

@ Kyle - I actually have two Yamaha ATV's. 2014 Grizzly 700 & a 2014 Grizzly 550. I sold my 2009 Yamaha Rhino 700 & purchased the Can Am last July. Went with the Can Am because the newest Yamaha had a hydraulic clutch & shifter. Didn't want to be thinking about shifting & what gear I'm in while out enjoying a ride. Laziness comes with getting older lol. Very happy with the Maverick. The Rotax engine is smooth/powerful & the suspension is like riding in a Cadillac. The seats are comfortable & the tilt steering wheel has the gauge cluster attached to it which is a nice feature. My buddy runs the Can Am/Ski Doo dealership. It was the last 2016 he had in stock, he wanted it gone because the 2017's were on there way & he gave me a pretty killer deal. Yes, that also swayed my decision lol !! As far as the Ditch Pickles  :roflmao: go, I got them in February of this year. They were leftover 2016's (M8 162" & M8 153"), I saved $7K on the pair & they threw a few goodies into the deal as well. The wife & I are pretty much beginners at the sport of snowmobiling. We had no experience with the fancy modern sleds & after looking at the different brands we went with the brand that gave us the best deal on two sleds. Now we're just hoping some experience will make us decent riders & we can enjoy the sport together. After all.....that's what it's all about.....spending quality time together !!

Take Care & Play Safe Everyone !!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #79 on: Jun 12, 2017, 01:36 AM »
Thread has been quiet the past week. Hope everyone has been out enjoying the great outdoors & not working lol !!

Ohhhhh boyyyyy.....gotta work three night shifts then I'm gonna burn 40 hours of vacation time & I'll have 14 days off. I'm actually going to pull the 5th-wheel out tomorrow morning & I'll more than likely just drive out to the trailer every morning when I get off & catch some z's. Adds 40 miles roundtrip to the drive, but what the heck.....right. Plans are to do a ton of riding/exploring, get some fishing in, hit the Philipsburg Brewery a few times  ;)2 to fill the growlers with some Razzu/Haybag & just relax enjoying some time away from work. I'll actually have cell service this outing, so I'm hoping to check in & post some pics while I'm out. Not going to forget the GoPro this time, so hopefully I can get some good footage of some riding & the impressive snowpack still remaining. I know one of the places I want to go still had 5 - 6 feet of snow as of a week ago when a friend was there playing around on his snowmobile. Typically can't get into the lakes up there until last week of June, but it's looking like probably 2nd week of July this year. I remember years ago we didn't get in there until the 1st week of August. Anyways, I hope everyone is enjoying their summer, take care & play safe !!

Let's keep this thread alive.....still some time before 1st ice !!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Jun 12, 2017, 04:05 PM »
Well I can tell you what I didn't do today... Draw any special tags  :'(

Just racking up the bonus points...

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Jun 12, 2017, 06:10 PM »

got out last Saturday with the kid and did some rock hounding. flowers are rocking in the alpine forest.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #82 on: Jun 12, 2017, 11:44 PM »
That's  a shame no special tags Kyle..... Maybe your time will come next year !!

Once again, great pics G fish.....My wife likes taking pics of flowers with insects on them..... Pretty neat with bees or butterflies on them !!

Well..... I've been sitting here in the trailer since 4:45pm waiting for the rain to stop. Watched a couple movies & had some popcorn. There is probably 2" of standing water around the picnic table & the fire ring. I've only experienced​ rain like this once before & I was in Seattle at the time. Hope I don't have to build an Ark to get out of here.....LOL !! Stay dry everyone !!

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Jun 19, 2017, 09:34 PM »
weekend at the lake was good to me.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the tags are filled you can bet Im on the ice
« Reply #84 on: Jun 25, 2017, 08:50 PM »
Couple of pictures since the ice melted off

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #85 on: Jun 30, 2017, 02:42 AM »
The 14 days of relaxing/playing/exploring have come to an end. It's back to the real world of work & paying bills. In reference to the comment in my last post about sitting in the trailer waiting for the rain to stop, I shot this video the next day after roughly 20 hours of rain & even a bit of very wet snow. Video -

Couple pics post rain storm !!

Wildlife Video -

Showers Lake / a.k.a Avalanche Lake !!

Sandstone formation surrounded by a little snow !!

Spillway @ East Fork Reservoir !!

Spillway again !!

G'Town Lake !!

Echo Lake !!

Discovery Basin Ski Area !!

Pintler Range - Mount Haggin is in the center of pic !!

It's a grouse sporting some decent camo !!

Wildflower !!

Alpine Spring !!

Next 5 pics are different shots @ Big Racetrack Lake !!

The wife still has to go through all the pics on the Cannon camera, so I'll probably have more to post.
Hope you enjoyed & play safe everyone !!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #86 on: Jun 30, 2017, 01:02 PM »
Well.....I see Photobucket is at it again. Just popped on here & noticed all my pics posted using them are gone. I clicked on their link just to see what it cost to upgrade my account for unlimited 3rd party hosting & the cost is $400 per year. Screw them !! Glad I used "imgur" for my last post !!

EDIT: Just noticed those pics can still be seen by clicking on them. Not all is lost then.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #87 on: Jun 30, 2017, 04:45 PM »
SpitzoMT just watched your video footage as a thunder storm moves through my area hopefully will not be as severe as one that caused flash flooding in your video.Nice photos also glad your family and you made it in and out of the camping area. G Fish MT Tag Filler thank you also gentle men for your photos.
Steve

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Jul 03, 2017, 08:27 AM »
Great photos Spitz! That looks awesome!! Have a great 4th everyone... we'll catch up a bit after that, eh?

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #89 on: Jul 06, 2017, 07:55 AM »
Morning everyone !! Just got off 6 straight night shifts. What a fiasco early this morning after the earthquake hit. I believe 43 of our 56 reactors were running at the time & the earthquake shut every one of them down. I can't even guess what the financial loss will end up being. Lets hope there's better days ahead !!

Here's a couple pics the wife pulled off the Cannon camera. She's gonna try to get through the rest of them this weekend, so maybe I'll have some more come Monday.

Just flat out majestic & Watching the gophers hoping for a meal !!                                             

Enjoy this heat wave & play safe everyone !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.