The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Petrolia reservoir reports?  (Read 6394 times)

Offline Gamedog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Get Whiskey Drunk!!
Petrolia reservoir reports?
« on: Feb 06, 2007, 05:46 PM »
 :whistle:

Offline naschafe

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Petrolia reservoir reports?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2007, 11:57 AM »
was up over the weekend,rather slow(a few small hammerhandles and one nice perch).Any good size pike being caught lately?Heard one guy three weeks ago landed a 12 lb gator.

Was also up this weekend, very slow as well.  Only 2 small hammerhandles on our lines. Others? 

You headed back up Gamedog?  I'm pretty sure I talked to you up there last weekend.  E-mail me @ [email protected]

Offline Rio252

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2007, 04:52 PM »
I will be heading to Petrolia on the morning of the 19th. I hope the warm weather hasnt ate away too much of the ice from shore :-\. But I do hope the warm weather turns on the bite ;D I will keep you all posted when I return. It might be a late report since I will be busy cleaning my catch ;)
NCarcr8

Offline HERD BULL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2007, 05:38 PM »
WHERE IS THIS LAKE GUYS??? :tipup: ??? ???

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2007, 06:06 PM »
Quote from: HERD BULL
WHERE IS THIS LAKE GUYS??? [/quote

It is north of Billings if I recall correctly.  Not sure of distance but I had a friend who used to make daytrips from Billings. I think he got mostly perch out of there.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline Rio252

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2007, 01:07 AM »
lake is located north to Roundup on Highway 87 (47 miles from Billings) go left to main street in Roundup and continue another 20 miles north towards Grassrange, still on Highway 87. Turn right to Winnett Secondary Road 244, should be an oil well pump on left side of highway. 24 miles to Winnett, go to turn off to another Secondary Road 200, turn right. Continue another 6 miles to a dirt road, stay on MAIN dirt road another 5-6 miles. In total...about 100 miles from Billings.
There are perch, walleye and pike in there...good luck!
NCarcr8

Offline HERD BULL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:30 PM »
THANKS GUYS,HOW BIG ON AVERAGE R THE PIKE AND WALLEYE. :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Rio252

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:34 PM »
well I am back from fishing on Monday, there were a few people out and a lot of lines :tipup:. Only small pike caught :'(, 1 pike was about 6-7 lb ???. No perch :'( and only 1 very small walleye >:(. the ice was 10-12 inches on the lake but the edges were melting away :'(. It was real sunny out but a lil windy 8). I think I will stick with Barrys Landing :-\
NCarcr8

Offline naschafe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2007, 09:39 AM »
Anybody been up there lately?  I was up 2 weeks ago.  Only small northerns, but saw one group with a nice one. 

How is the ice thickness up there?  Are the warm temps eating it up?  I would like to go this weekend.  Thanks.

Offline Rio252

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Went back to Petrolia on Sat. Feb. 24th late in the day around 2pm, caught 1 small pike and 1 good size perch. There were 3 ATV's on the lake, quite a few people...very few fish from what I was told. >:( Most people were fishing along the dam. Ice was still good on lake but getting away from shore :-\, can still get on near the dam :). I spotted fish on my Vexilar as it was getting dark but had to go since my girlfriend was with me :P. I will go back on Wed. late-afternoon and fish into dark and see if thats the ticket :tipupAnyone care to meet me? I'll have more than I need of minnows
NCarcr8

Offline naschafe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2007, 08:41 AM »
Rio252,

I was up on Sunday 25th.  Very slow, couple of small pike, one fairly good sized pike, one small eye, talked to a guy said he caught a 30" pike. All others I talked to (and saw) said it was slow.  Looks pretty slow too.  No fish till after 1:30 PM.  Ice was getting further from shore, could still get on by the dam, but was getting worse as the day went on. No ATV's on ice.  Watch the temps if you are thinking of going wednesday.  Would love to join you, but have to work. 

Offline naschafe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2007, 08:13 AM »
Rio,

Did you go up wednesday?  Anyone else been up, or is there to much water around the edges?

Offline Rio252

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2007, 06:22 PM »
Rio,

Did you go up wednesday?  Anyone else been up, or is there to much water around the edges?

I did go down on Thurs. and 3 very nice perch. There was about 4 inches of new snow on the lake but still a little fragile on the shore line. Ice was still good under all that snow 8-10 inches. There were a group of about 5 near the boat launch area, thought i could hear them say something about a catch, but not sure. I was jigging with a Chubby Darter (a very good lure) I had seen a few fish on the Vex But they were being picky. Hate to say it but the season might be over with warm weather approaching. Time to set new state record for sauger and smallmouth!
NCarcr8

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.