The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Dogs on the ice?  (Read 6086 times)

Offline hunting-bum

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish when I can't Hunt.
Dogs on the ice?
« on: Jan 08, 2017, 02:47 PM »
I was just wondering how people feel about bringing a dog ice fishing.  I have ran into several people who seem like my dog is ruining their fishing. I don't let my dog wonder if there are others around. I don't see many people with dogs ice fishing.

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Dogs on the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2017, 02:55 PM »
I leave my dog at home when I go Ice fishing. We were at Holter on Friday and there were two black labs running loose . One had a ball and I made the mistake of throwing it for him. Another lab came up to our icehouse anf lifted his leg on the corner of it. If the owners of these dogs reads this forum I hope they take other people into consideration.

Ken...........

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2017, 02:59 PM »
Fishing last week, two people came out with a dog. Nice quiet day except they literally yelled that dogs name, no exaggeration, 800 times. All day long, every 30 seconds. It had to growl at everyone.

Offline monk38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:07 PM »
I bring one of my two yellow labs with me every time I go.  They stay with me the entire time. usually sit on the bench of my shelter with me... I have had my older dog catch a fish out of the hole that came off the hook.
   They are well trained... If your dogs are well trained and not a nuisance bring them if not leave them at home... Just my opinion

I usually fish by myself, they are good company!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:10 PM »
If your dogs are well trained and not a nuisance bring them if not leave them at home... Just my opinion
Agree, especially if the owners are a big a nuisance as the dog ;D

Offline miles city fish freak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:20 PM »
I take my dogs almost all the time, however I mostly fish Fort Peck and always in an area were no one else fishes. They both spend the hole time staring down the holes waiting for fish to come up but I guess I do too. The only time I hear a sound out of them is if someone comes into our spot. So I dont feel they are any different then people, we come across both polite and rude people on the ice also. Just my $.02 worth
.......Ice not just for whiskey.......

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:32 PM »
best watch dog if you miss a fish you get the stink eye
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:37 PM »
I would love to take my dog with me but I know she would P--s people off so I leave her home

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:59 PM »
My dog is worse than the wife, she sits there shivering and whining like she's got some place else to be. I used to take her cause she would give me puppy eyes when I was leaving, now I leave her cause I know she'd rather be home on the couch.

Offline SummerSucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2017, 05:09 PM »
I like dogs more than most people... just saying.

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2017, 07:11 PM »
As much as I love dogs, on the ice is not where they belong.  Too many times have I had my catch stolen, shelter pissed on, or been nearly attacked (most recently by a goldendoodle on Georgetown Lake).

Offline monk38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2017, 08:21 PM »

never complains about the cold, never is late to leave... although she does start to cry when you hook a fish LOL

Offline Baitandbullet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2017, 09:54 PM »
I bring my dogs but they are pretty well behaved. They just want to Hang out in the shanty where it's warm. If I don't bring the shanty I don't bring the dogs. They would rather be home and warm. I don't mind other dogs running around either. I usually have treats in the shanty but haven't had any come up

Offline ryan28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2017, 10:37 PM »
Why have a dog if all your going to do is keep it locked up at home all the time? Bring the dog!

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2017, 10:48 PM »
I don't bring mine because he's a pretty young beagle and he listens to his nose more than he does me! He'd either run off on some scent trail to the nearest shanty cooking hot dogs or fall in a hole. Maybe after he's better trained and knows better, but we'll see. After all he is supposed to be a hunting dog not a fishing dog!  ;D
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2017, 10:51 PM »
buddies have fishing dogs. Its always a challenge to get the fish back down the hole with them around. Half the time they are walking around like a chipmunk with a fish tucked in their cheek.  ;D

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2017, 11:09 PM »
Cas was the ultimate fishing dog, she would crouch in the river next to you with jedi like intensity when steelheading watching each and every drift like it was the most important thing in the world and then freak out wanting to get her touch when you landed one.  And, if you were not getting it done she would walk down to the next person down the river and offer words of encouragement and bound around in pure joy when you got them to the bank.  On the ice she did her herding stare at the flasher and any time you set on a fish, occasionally trying to land it with her face in the hole.  She was well behaved and made both herself and me many friends on the river, although she was always the star.  Lost her to a traffic accident this fall and my fishing world will never be the same again.  You were the best fishing partner I've ever had and will always miss you little girl!!!

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2017, 11:11 PM »
As much as I love dogs, on the ice is not where they belong.
Based upon the amount of butts, dip, community urinals, and other evidence I see and smell on the ice, I could make the same argument about some people too.  ;)

I have a Lab who sometimes tags along so I don't have a problem seeing others out there provided the owner knows his or her dog's behavior well and uses common sense. I do dislike seeing unattended (free range) dogs, unscooped poop, and owners who think "under control" means within yelling distance. I generally look for a spot away from others and have a means of connecting a leash to an ice anchor, if necessary.

My last Lab thought a fish coming out of a hole in the ice was the most amazing miracle in the world...every.time.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Calm and Fish On!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2017, 11:19 PM »
Cas was the ultimate fishing dog, she would crouch in the river next to you with jedi like intensity when steelheading watching each and every drift like it was the most important thing in the world and then freak out wanting to get her touch when you landed one.  And, if you were not getting it done she would walk down to the next person down the river and offer words of encouragement and bound around in pure joy when you got them to the bank.  On the ice she did her herding stare at the flasher and any time you set on a fish, occasionally trying to land it with her face in the hole.  She was well behaved and made both herself and me many friends on the river, although she was always the star.  Lost her to a traffic accident this fall and my fishing world will never be the same again.  You were the best fishing partner I've ever had and will always miss you little girl!!!

So sorry to hear about your loss Vic! It's always tough losing a dog, especially when you're as close as it sounds like you were.
To jig or not to jig... That is the question.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2017, 11:34 PM »
She was a good dog Vic, I enjoyed steel heading with her:)

Offline gtnjiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2017, 11:46 PM »
love having my dog along, and she loves the ice

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:18 AM »
As long as people keep the dog under control and are respectful I have no problem seeing dogs out on the ice.  I like dogs and don't mind if your pooch comes up and says hello while you are walking by.  Just understand that even though you have a friendly dog, not everyone is a dog lover.  Most interactions I've had are positive, only a couple mishaps, but those are always the memorable ones, stolen fish and peed on equipment.  Those will sour your day in a hurry, even though those are uncommon, those are the interactions most people remember, like in everything a few bad apples ruin it for everyone.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:40 AM »
As long as people keep the dog under control and are respectful I have no problem seeing dogs out on the ice.

I agree with the MatCat. Love dogs and don't mind them on the ice...unless they start messin' with the fishin  :)

Offline EngrErik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:46 AM »
This guy comes with me most of the time. The wife says he will sit at home and pout when he doesn't get to go. He loves it. I agree with the well behaved dog voters here. I've never had a bad run in with dogs on the ice but I could have a change of heart of one took a leak on my equipment.

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:22 AM »
I have always brought my dogs along with me fishing.  My dogs have always been Siberian huskies.  I usually attach them to my sled to help get it out on the ice.  I only have one dog at the time (the others have succumbed to old age).  I let her run if I am alone on the ice, but if there are others around, I keep her on a 15 foot lead.  I don't mind it when others have dogs on the ice, and usually enjoy their coming over to check me and my dog out.  I have had an occasion or two when the other dogs have been problematic by knocking over rods, ect; but this is the fault of the dogs owners, and not the dogs themselves.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:53 AM »
My beagle comes every time with 2 exceptions... below zero, and glare ice (both for her safety). With that said she also does not free roam, if not in the shack with me she's tied to it outside. I love dogs more than I do most people and quite frankly enjoy their company more, but am also understanding that some people hate dogs or are even terrified of them and that must also be respected. If your dog is well trained and stays with you around your setup, that's great bring 'em everytime it's safe to do so. If your dog doesn't listen, bothers people and is disturbing others... stay home and work on your training skills or fish without them.

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Hemingweigh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:16 AM »
I say bring your dog/s; however, keep them under control .  If you can't, then they don't belong in a public setting unless they are leashed. 

I have a bird dog and the only thing he likes more than watching me catch a fish, is pointing and watching me shoot a pheasant...  Though most everybody he meets tends to really enjoy his company, I do realize that not all want the intrusion.  So, I keep his hunting e-collar on and keep him under control at all times.  Mostly, he wants to sit with me in the shelter and point fish down the hole.  If he's out, so am I.

In my opinion, dogs should not be allowed to roam freely unobserved.  Bothering others or urinating on their gear is unacceptable and anticipated behavior from free-ranging dogs, especially males...

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2017, 11:16 AM »
That last pic is awesome, 800!  Ahhh, the portable fireplace.

Offline Ray243

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2017, 03:45 AM »
I always worry about my labs getting cold and stoved up on the ice.. do you guys take a bed or blanket out for them?

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2017, 08:50 AM »
I generally leave my Lab at home if the temp is below zero. He doesn't enjoy the all-day confinement of a shelter. Otherwise, I always bring a pad on which he can sit or curl up and a dog jacket isn't a bad idea particularly before sunrise. The best heat generator for him is a retrieving dummy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.