The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ZEBRA MUSSELS  (Read 6391 times)

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ZEBRA MUSSELS
« Reply #60 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:53 AM »
If you've served you have a better chance at being hired. That is policy. Not saying Pounder has got it all figured out but I don't enjoy out-of-staters that believe they know best because they have a degree from New England State University. I'm all about being proactive so tell a friend, who tells a friend, that tells a friend... discussion is where it starts, action is what will end (or curb) it. Clean your $#!t. Idaho has a bunch of check stations. MT not so much. And as much a I like being left the heck alone I'm also okay with getting the thumbs up that my gear is good to go. Thank you to those that are volunteering and trying to keep our resources the way they should be.
If you could see accurate data on the percentage of bios in Mt that are hired from out of state vs in state you wouldnt be a happy camper.Im betting we are going to see plenty of check stations starting at ice off.
Dont ask

Offline polarfsrmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 07, 2017, 10:16 AM »
I see where this hysteria behind these invasive species is getting a little over the top but lets be honest as long as we have migrating waterfowl,gull and other birds associatied with water we can only do our small part. With that said as far as fish go in MT Rainbows,browns and brook trout are invasive species also.

Offline BourbonSnowCone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 07, 2017, 01:12 PM »
My guess is not that many Montanans are getting a Masters degree in order to become a biologist making $45,000 a year. I'd like to see the data on how many applicants are actually native to MT. Hard to hire Montanans if they don't present any qualified applicants. I'm sure there have been Montana natives who have been beaten out in an interview process by out-of-staters but unfortunately there's no preference provided for being born and raised in the state. Maybe there should be.

Offline orngcrush17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing better than fishing memories
« Reply #63 on: Feb 07, 2017, 01:18 PM »
Oneida Lake is one of the best smallmouth and walleye lakes (not a great lake) in the North East and is and has been loaded with zebra mussels.  The round gobies are now here as well, and the fish have not looked healthier.
Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish he can eat for a lifetime.... take your kid fishing and never stop smiling.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Feb 07, 2017, 01:27 PM »
The "infestation" isnt a complete negative,the "sky is falling" response is way over the top.
Dont ask

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Feb 07, 2017, 02:58 PM »
Fear mongering works
Dont ask

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Feb 07, 2017, 05:23 PM »
Petty sure it's printed in every fishing regulations guide....

http://fwp.mt.gov/fishAndWildlife/species/ais/prevention.html

I've fished Mille Lacs in MN (it has both zebra mussles and Eurasian milfoil) in the winter and they guys I was fishing with told me to make sure I didn't have any weeds on my hooks or line before we left the lake.

I can be condescending if you like...I fish the same type weather in MN quite a bit and  when I'm done for the day,  Tip ups go back in the Tip up bag and brought into the house or hotel every night, along with my rod bag, and nothing is ever "frozen solid" in the morning. It would be kind of hard to fish the next morning if everything was just tossed in the back of the pickup and was "frozen solid" when we went to set up for the day.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Feb 07, 2017, 05:54 PM »
Petty sure it's printed in every fishing regulations guide....

http://fwp.mt.gov/fishAndWildlife/species/ais/prevention.html

I've fished Mille Lacs in MN (it has both zebra mussles and Eurasian milfoil) in the winter and they guys I was fishing with told me to make sure I didn't have any weeds on my hooks or line before we left the lake.

I can be condescending if you like...I fish the same type weather in MN quite a bit and  when I'm done for the day,  Tip ups go back in the Tip up bag and brought into the house or hotel every night, along with my rod bag, and nothing is ever "frozen solid" in the morning. It would be kind of hard to fish the next morning if everything was just tossed in the back of the pickup and was "frozen solid" when we went to set up for the day.

Even if you bring it home or to the hotel and go back out the next morning they will not be "dry" in your tip up bag, just thawed so you might have to reevaluate your system as well.  It's not hard to pull frozen line off a tip up, if you have ever moved a set when it's cold you have already done it. It is tough to fully dry a line overnight and a lot of time I am not going home or to a hotel after I'm done fishing when on a trip in eastern Montana.  I clean and dry all my watercraft, waders, wading boots, ect after each use.  If these thing's can legitimately survive being frozen on a tip up spool (do you actually know this or are you just guessing?) I will have to figure out a way to decontaminate them over night or bring a xtra set of tip-ups.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.