The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Stolen Can am Renegade  (Read 6763 times)

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
Stolen Can am Renegade
« on: Feb 10, 2013, 12:46 PM »
My Can Am Renegade was stolen out of the back of my pickup at 6 o'clock this morning.  I was set to go ice fishing and my auger and shack were also in the back of the pickup but not stolen.  Somehow they started it and drove off but I still have the key.  If you hear of anything please let me know.  It's red and is the only one around that has a winch and fender flares.

Offline montanaguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Stolen Can am Renegade
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2013, 01:11 PM »
Where are you located?

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2013, 01:22 PM »
In billings. I lost the tracks at 32nd and monad

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2013, 02:37 PM »
No way sorry man crazy meth heads that takes some major balls 2 steel a wheelr out of the back of a truck damn thieves. I hope they catch who did it wait I hope U catch who did it.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline NorthernAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 38.5 Inches of Power
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2013, 03:52 PM »
i'll keep an eye out this week, drive around there during lunches. My 40 Sig should do the job. Sucks, it could be in huntley by now or who knows.
NorthernAnglers - "You Catch It, I'll Put It On The Wall"

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2013, 05:46 PM »
Billings is going to hell. Amazing how a couple thousand dead beat meth heads ruin a great place so quickly.

Offline jackcraps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:09 PM »
Shoulda backed up against a building, or a tree so they couldn't drop the gate,  and chain your wheels so it can't move.  Why weren't you already fishing by 6am

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:38 PM »
We were going to leave at 4:30 to tongue, but with the wind we decided to wait and just fish elmo.  I had all week off so I was gonna go back to hell creek monday.  Not now.  That quad had a chipped key so I don't know how they were able to get it out and started so fast.  I was up til 2 a.m. and I rent a room to a bartender who gets home around 3:30 so I knew it would only go a couple hours not being watched.  Plus I live on a dead end street in a quiet neighborhood.  Not quiet enough...

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:42 PM »
406 i hope all works out for you in the end, its really a shame how many posts lately about thievery...Several years back a guy i was in school with had a chained up motorcycle stolen out of the back of his pickup while parked at his apartment complex, 2 years later he gets a call to come identify his property. Apparently the thief had a nasty break up with his girlfriend and she turned his ass in!

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Shoulda backed up against a building, or a tree so they couldn't drop the gate,  and chain your wheels so it can't move.  Why weren't you already fishing by 6am

Shoulda, coulda, woulda, but didn't.  Still doesn't excuses the thugs for taking his wheeler!  But nothing like pointing out the obvious to someone who already is having a s@;& day!!!  ???

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2013, 09:01 PM »

chain isn't for "locking" up the bike ... it's for "beating" up the theif
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2013, 09:10 PM »
The sad part is ya "shoulda" been able to leave it sitting there running. Its what the world is turning into. Hope ya get it back!!!

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2013, 09:37 PM »

you hit that nail on the head

during the 26 yrs that I lived on the Hi-Line (1963 to 1989), didn't even take the keys out of the ignition; just turn off the engine and leave the keys hanging in the ignition ... with the doors unlocked  :angel
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2013, 04:34 AM »
 >:( Feel your pain!! >:(
I was going to ask how they jacked your wheels when you had the chipped key.  Dealer told me that it was next to impossible when I bought my Outlander guess I was lied to. I'll remember to run a chain through the tires or back it up to the garage when I have mine loaded in the truck. Up here in Kalispell a couple years back a ATV was stolen then recovered down in Missoula I believe when someone tried to Craigslist it down there, so have friends be looking in other areas.

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Thanks for the support guys.  Here's a picture of the quad just in case you see something like it.  Although by now its probably painted and stripped down or something.  The black fender flare extensions are what is unique about the quad.  That and the winch behind the front bumper.

Offline Fishin Friesz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:39 AM »
Wow that really hurts sorry to hear this.  My friend in billings just had some similar problems.  Left his garage door open for a bit while he ran inside, came back out and his $800 bow and case were gone!! Getting to be ridiculous   >:(

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Got some eyes out for it in the Joliet/ Cooney Res area. Hope it's recovered safely.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:37 PM »
I assume you reported the theft and that it has been entered into NCIC 4EVER406? I am a peace officer south of you so I will keep my eyes open in these parts. The owner of the Can Am dealer here in Casper is a personal friend of mine and I will let him know as well in case someone tries to sell it or trade it at a dealer. Sorry about your loss brother. I have a 2013 Can Am 1000 Outlander that would be like losing a child if I lost it. Know how you feel.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:15 PM »
Yes it's been reported and everything.  It's crazy how many people have told me about things they've had stolen in billings.  What's really crazy is how many atvs.  At least 7 quads stolen in billings from people I personally know.  I had no idea there was such a racket going on.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Trust me. Its not just Montana. ATV's, motorcycles and other recreational vehicles are a big commodity for thieves. Easier than a car or truck to chop and sell pieces parts. I will put the word out around here for you.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline greenmonster57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Will keep my eyes peeled here in Whitefish.  I had stuff stolen outta my car a few years back.  I always lock my car, but I ran into a buddies house for ten minutes and the one time I don't lock up is of course the time everything gets stolen.  All I can say is if I ever catch someone breaking into/ stealing my stuff again, the cops won't be called because all the crooks end up getting is a slap on the wrist.  They will get more than a slap from me. >:(

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:57 AM »
Will keep my eyes peeled here in Whitefish.  I had stuff stolen outta my car a few years back.  I always lock my car, but I ran into a buddies house for ten minutes and the one time I don't lock up is of course the time everything gets stolen.  All I can say is if I ever catch someone breaking into/ stealing my stuff again, the cops won't be called because all the crooks end up getting is a slap on the wrist.  They will get more than a slap from me. >:(

Cant say I blame you for feeling that way but keep one thing in mind. Auto Burglary is a felony and if the criminals in your area are not being prosecuted to the full extent of the law the fault does not lie with the cops. The prosecuting attorney is failing to do their job. Once we make the arrest it is out of our hands. Its up to the courts to deal out the punishment. We have nothoing to do with that part of the process. trust me when I tell you that it pains me to see someone I have thrown in jail walk away with a slap on the hand. We have no control over it yet we always get blames. Comes with the territory I guess.  :callcops:

Offline Alvin Richter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • elkbone
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:17 AM »
I will keep eyes peeled in Great Falls area serial # ?

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:03 PM »
VIN 3JBHGHN139J000166.       Can am told me they are pretty sure it's the only red one in the billings area.  They also told me it takes a special expensive computer program that you have to be a licensed can am dealer to buy that gives you the ability to make a new key.  The laptop has to be hooked to the atv in order to program that machine to the new key.  Great!  The dealers are selling them and stealing them back?!

Offline greenmonster57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Cant say I blame you for feeling that way but keep one thing in mind. Auto Burglary is a felony and if the criminals in your area are not being prosecuted to the full extent of the law the fault does not lie with the cops. The prosecuting attorney is failing to do their job. Once we make the arrest it is out of our hands. Its up to the courts to deal out the punishment. We have nothoing to do with that part of the process. trust me when I tell you that it pains me to see someone I have thrown in jail walk away with a slap on the hand. We have no control over it yet we always get blames. Comes with the territory I guess.  :callcops:

I understand that side of things.  What I am talking about is when I had those items stolen and the cops showed up so I could file a report the officer all but told me it was a waist of time.  He almost seemed irritated that I was wasting his precious time.  So what I was getting at was I don't want to risk them getting away and going through that again.  I know all officers don't act that way, but it just makes an already bad taste in your mouth even worse if ya know what I mean.  But enough talk of such things as it isn't helping our fellow member get his wheeler back. :-\

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2013, 04:52 PM »
I recovered the quad (Although it looks nothing like it did before.)  Thanks for the support. 

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2013, 04:56 PM »
I recovered the quad (Although it looks nothing like it did before.)  Thanks for the support.

Glad to hear... I hope... did it get trashed?  or just "decorated"?

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2013, 06:16 PM »
A little of both.  Probably going to cost me around $3k to replace everything that was spray painted or removed.   That's counting the electrical that they had their way with, trying to hotwire it.

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2013, 06:39 PM »
Did they at least catch the turds that did it

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2013, 09:25 PM »
A little of both.  Probably going to cost me around $3k to replace everything that was spray painted or removed.   That's counting the electrical that they had their way with, trying to hotwire it.

Sigh... sorry to hear that.  I am glad you got it back though and I hope the rest of your season and year goes better.  Cheers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.