The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: marcum vs. vexilar  (Read 6610 times)

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: marcum vs. vexilar
« Reply #60 on: Dec 24, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Thanks.. I did tighten the connectors last week, I haven't had the issue since.

HenryC...check the battery connection...mine did that when I put the cable back in the case a couple times...the pos connector was a little loose...once I tightened it, it never did it again...

Mike

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Dec 25, 2012, 08:16 AM »
My 5 will show an ash off my cigarett, no comaprison IMO between the LX-5 and any vex...Like stated the Marcums are made in MN in the USA not imported...

The sensitivity and made in the USA is what sold me on the Marcums. If I am going to save my dollars for years and buy a product I want my money to stay here in the US so long as the product is as good as or better than the foreign product. Made in the USA doesn't give a free pass to make substandard products for me but so long as the quality is high my money will always go to the US maker over the foreign one. I am the same way about local vs national though too, if I can find a local vendor of a product I will buy from them first before going out of state but they had better be at least fairly competitive price wise with the national or non-local vendor.

Offline jt snipe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 25, 2012, 10:11 PM »
i have marcum really like it very reliable

Offline ci2019

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:12 AM »
After doing more research than I care to admit, just over nighted the Marcum Ice Troller 2.0.  Chomping at the bit to try it out this weekend.

Offline snotsickle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Dec 26, 2012, 01:40 PM »
I have a marcum LX3tc.  Nice and simple.  Works awesome.  Better bang for the buck when compared to Vexilar units.  If you want to have fun with people -crank up the power once in a while.  It really makes other units wig-out.

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 26, 2012, 01:51 PM »
I have a marcum LX3tc.  Nice and simple.  Works awesome.  Better bang for the buck when compared to Vexilar units.  If you want to have fun with people -crank up the power once in a while.  It really makes other units wig-out.

marcums have adjustable power too?!! I can't find anything on it. how do you adjust the power?

Offline snotsickle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:24 PM »
Actually, by adjusting sensitivity (or gain) up, you are cranking up the power.  Most of the time, with a marcum, you have the power turned mostly to the lower 1/5 of the dial.  You have to crank it up higher the deeper you fish and the smaller the jig + bait.   

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #67 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:31 PM »
marcums have adjustable power too?!! I can't find anything on it. how do you adjust the power?
You don't. The gain knob adjusts how much of the return signal coming through the transducer is shown on the screen. That is how the power of the unit is used. The output power is constant.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #68 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:40 PM »
After doing more research than I care to admit, just over nighted the Marcum Ice Troller 2.0.  Chomping at the bit to try it out this weekend.

Get the performance pack for it.  It's an another ~$70 bucks with the battery but it really makes it easy to use cause you don't have to hold it.  My wife and I love ours.  She likes it better because it is mono-color and she just looks at the shade of gray to tell how close the fish are.  Darker the mark closer they are.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline ci2019

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:44 PM »
Thanks for the tip Jay.  I did order the performance pack with it, sans battery though.  I'll pick a batt up a little later.  I was going to make my own holder, but couldn't really beat it at $49.

Jon

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:45 PM »
any body have an opinion on the lowrance x-67
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:46 PM »
Where ya located?  You can pick up 8 or 9 amp 12 volt at most sporting goods stores and even at Wal-Mart.  Got mine at Scheels for $20.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #72 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:48 PM »
Most people who have them like them. The X-67 has been replaced by another unit.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Dec 26, 2012, 02:51 PM »

Not on the X-67 but I got the Elite 5 GPS/Locator  a couple of years ago.  Works on both the ice and on the front of my boat attached to my trolling motor so it is multi-season.  I've used it more in the winter for the GPS function cause I already had a Vexilar but it works great in the summer as a locator.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline icing_perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 26, 2012, 03:04 PM »
My dad has one and I love it.  You can use it like a vex with the circle or regular fish finder with graphing either way works great

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:43 AM »
You don't. The gain knob adjusts how much of the return signal coming through the transducer is shown on the screen. That is how the power of the unit is used. The output power is constant.

I knew that. I was just being an ass, waiting to hear how turning up the gain makes other units "wig-out".

Offline Bigbmt99

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lets fish it!
« Reply #76 on: Dec 27, 2012, 01:57 PM »
I'll keep it real easy on this topic, I have a Marcum and could not be more happy with it! It's easy as pie to use and very accurate. I could not be more pleased with my Marcum.
Keep jigg'in

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:06 AM »
Either one I would guess beats the alternative :)

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:49 AM »
Just picked up a LX-3TC this last week, Thanks HVFD14!!!!! Absolutely love it. First time running one of my own and had it pin pointing my little salmon dropper in no time let alone picking up ling on the bottom. Simple, and effective. Never used a vex but have talked to a few guys and it sounds like I made the right choice. Wouldn't mind getting two next to each other and see any real differences. :icefish:
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline Ice Junkie_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:50 AM »
I am very happy with my marcum 5.6 dual beam great unit great price and has tripled my catch!
Worst day of fishin I ever had was still damn good!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.