The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Canyon Ferry  (Read 6323 times)

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
Canyon Ferry
« on: Dec 14, 2011, 04:00 PM »
On the webcam I see a good sized pressure ridge buiding just off the silos ramp,anyone been down there this week?Since I cant access the ice condition charts has it thickened?

Offline buck snot

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Canyon Ferry
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2011, 05:27 PM »
Most likely a hi probability
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!

Offline Lost River

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Yes there is a nasty pressure ridge out there.  It has open water all along it too.  It is about 1/4 mile off shore, and as of now there is no crossing it.  I fished next to it and it was quite active, ice was falling and moving around it all day. 

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:31 PM »
How was the fishing?

Offline Lost River

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:10 PM »
it sucked...saw a very few on the finder and couldn't get them to even nibble.

Offline Lamnidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2011, 12:05 PM »
I'll be headed to Canyon Ferry Saturday for my first ice fishing trip there.  I've ice fished extensively throughout western Montana, so any problems will simply be due to my infamiliarity with the area.  I also had my knee operated on somewhat recently, so access is my big issue.  Does anyone have any recommendations on the following questions? 

1. How is road/foot access from the Silos area?  Can I get in there with a car with studs?  Am I going to be able to fish within a reasonable distance of parking? 

2.  Any suggestions for bait and locations?  I've got the navionics map and will be trying to fish the structure/contours. 

Thanks ahead of time!

Nick

Offline Lost River

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2011, 02:26 PM »
Access is easy and you will have no problem in a car.  The road from the highway is paved most of the way, only the very end is gravel.  You will have easy access from parking to getting on the ice.  Right now the pressure ridge out there is keeping people closer to shore than we'd like if you are after perch.  Trout are a better bet right now and you can set up close to shore and do good.  Use jigs with maggots or worms about 5'-8' bellow the ice.  The trout are good size too, so you'll have fun.

Hope this helps.

Offline Lamnidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2011, 03:02 PM »
Thanks Lost River!  I'll be sure to post any reports or tips we come across.  I'm taking a few warm-weather, temporary Helena residents with me, so I'm anxious to get them on some fish.  I'll probably hit a few sporting goods stores tonight for a new jig selection given that my current arsenal is Missoula-centric.

Offline FishN4Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Thanks Lost River!  I'll be sure to post any reports or tips we come across.  I'm taking a few warm-weather, temporary Helena residents with me, so I'm anxious to get them on some fish.  I'll probably hit a few sporting goods stores tonight for a new jig selection given that my current arsenal is Missoula-centric.

You have a PM, Nick.
FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2011, 05:24 PM »
Stay clear of that pressure ridge,its a killer.There is no structure once you are 50 yards off shore,big flat bottom with an occasional tree pile.

Offline badfish1974

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2011, 09:47 PM »
Heading to Duck Ck on Saturday...any word of pressure ridges on east side of Canyon Ferry?

Offline hooker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:03 AM »
have not been out this year or towards canyon ferry. how far north is the ice.

Offline lipripr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2011, 01:12 AM »
I wouldn't waste any time on Duck creek!!  Ice doesn't go very far north at all!!

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Fished the silos at CF for two days and it was sloooow. We iced one walleye and one ling overnight on tipups. Caught one ok trout during the day after poking about 50 holes to find them. We fished all over. Had one nice big pike all the way to the hole when he got off. Got a good look at him because the ice is pretty clear and 6-8 inches all over. As far as the pressure ridges...My gf and I crossed about 5 of them to get to deeper water in search of perch-with no avail. Seemed safe enough to me. Ice was consistent.

MTA

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2011, 05:22 PM »
thanx for the update.What did the pike hit?How deep?

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2011, 09:40 PM »
The pike hit on live minnows on a tipup a foot off the bottom. Fairly shallow 15-16 fow. Had to been a 10lber easy. I put stingers on all my trebles and thats what had him hooked all the way to the hole. I think I got a little excited to see my first flag of the year. Should have let him chew on it a little longer  ;D

MTA

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2011, 09:54 PM »
''The pike hit on live minnows on a tipup a foot off the bottom''.

Can't use live bait on Canyon Ferry, remember every live minnow in possesion is something like $25. Could easily put a little hole in ones fishing funds. I believe having live bait in your rig also would qualify for a fine. All the lakes are in the regs and will state what bait is legal. ::)
Live Free Or Die.

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:10 PM »
 :nono: :nono: :nono:
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:15 PM »
Hahahahaha, thats great!

Offline Ivanbbad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:20 PM »
Ive seen some different postings about people catching pike in canyon ferry, ive never seen one caught myself. I'm not really sure how good that would be for the lake tho.

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:26 PM »
what a roody-poo

Bullelk34

« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:45 PM »
The pike hit on live minnows on a tipup a foot off the bottom. Fairly shallow 15-16 fow. Had to been a 10lber easy. I put stingers on all my trebles and thats what had him hooked all the way to the hole. I think I got a little excited to see my first flag of the year. Should have let him chew on it a little longer  ;D

MTA
For real?!?     >:(

Read the regs Einstein---------

Offline icecrazed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:45 AM »
Don't even tell them to read the regs.  This is the second person admitting to fishing with illegal bait, that I have read on this site in the last 10 min.  Let the dumb,poaching, retards prosecute themselves.  Wardens look at the site too, so they will get what they have coming.

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:53 AM »
Once again, thanks for trying to ruin it for all of us. Can not believe people actually would admit to being so ignorant to laws that have been in place for so dang long. Very disappointed dude.

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2011, 09:47 AM »
First time fishing the lake, was told by a friend to pick up minnows and use em there. And I recall looking in the regs book while we were in the camper and didn't see anything about live bait. Sorry guys, lesson learned I guess. Thanks for letting me know but I don't appreciate all of the insults. Thanks Da-jigger for being informational. I made a mistake that no fisherman wants to make. Happens to all of us at times.

MTA

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 17, 2011, 09:49 AM »
Once again, thanks for trying to ruin it for all of us. Can not believe people actually would admit to being so ignorant to laws that have been in place for so dang long. Very disappointed dude.

Sorry to disappoint but if I was aware of the law(which I should have been) I obviously wouldn't have done what I done. Not trying to ruin anything for anybody....

MTA

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2011, 10:14 AM »
Lol, I really got a kick out of this, in all seriousness, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:04 AM »
anyone who says they havent ever broke one is lying, i try to follow all the game laws as close as possible but must admit there are so many sometimes it is very difficult to be aware of them all. or ill be fishing along and forget it is time to buy a new license already or something.. i got turned in from someone on here  because pyrozuki had a brain fart and put up some pics and posted in clark canyon page that we were fishing below the dam.. when we were actually fishing below the dam at canyon ferry, which you could clearly see in the pics, but because someone on here was the almighty and instead of pming me and letting us know that hey it is illegal to fish below the dam at clark canyon.. which we werent anyway.. they had to " do the right thing and turn me in,, and i had to sit on the phone with fish and game for a couple hours trying to explain, that i had never even been to clark canyon and that we were fishing at canyon ferry.. sucked. i have turned in very few people in my life as in my opinion we all make mistakes. the one thing i wont tolerate is waste of game.. there should be no rule book needed to know that you dont kill a game animal or fish and the leave it to rot because you caught something bigger or saw a bigger animal or whatever..my opinion.

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:42 AM »
Clearly stated in the central district regs...Sorry you feel insulted, but 5 minutes of reading would solve that. And for all, including myself, ignorance of the law is no excuse to break the law. ( I was popped at 17 for fishing w/o a license, my lesson learned.)

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Have to agree with i c.  We've all taken that one extra fish over the limit, or crossed a property line to get to that "sweet spot" we had to fish/hunt, or shot from the vehicle......something .  I also agree that ignorance is no excuse when you're caught by the law.......but, as a fellow sportsman not viewing this as felonious and purposeful act to deprive anyone else of sports opportunities......the n I can excuse it and knowing that this particular individual has been a regular on this site for a few years......than mistake made and forgiveness given.........just my opinion.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.