Author Topic: Blackstrap 2019/20  (Read 67274 times)

Offline Big Gator

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Blackstrap 2019/20
« Reply #60 on: Nov 24, 2019, 11:22 AM »
Thanks for all the comments on how to ice fish the strap. I get out a couple times a year and usually fish 20 to 24 ft. of water for perch with some success sometimes. I am not asking for information as to a particular spot to fish on the lake. I thought this would be a good forum to ask for opinions on how deep to fish walleye in the winter on Blackstrap. I do not wish to invade anyone's personal fishing spot. Best of luck fishing.

Offline ryder29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Nov 24, 2019, 11:41 AM »
I went out this morning from about 9:00-11:00 for my first outing this season. I tried out front of the south boat launch. Just a warning for everyone, right in front of the boat launch there is open water. Looked like a strip 6-7’ long by about 12”. It was about 10-12’ right on front of the launch. Tight lines everyone!
I'm just trying to get another bite.

gman51

« Reply #62 on: Nov 24, 2019, 01:45 PM »
Thanks for all the comments on how to ice fish the strap. I get out a couple times a year and usually fish 20 to 24 ft. of water for perch with some success sometimes. I am not asking for information as to a particular spot to fish on the lake. I thought this would be a good forum to ask for opinions on how deep to fish walleye in the winter on Blackstrap. I do not wish to invade anyone's personal fishing spot. Best of luck fishing.
. No worries don’t have to ask just read the posts over the last couple years should give anyone a good indication where to start. And there’s lots of room on the lake even Around an area where people are fishing again just give them space.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Nov 24, 2019, 01:51 PM »
Ryder, thanks for that report.  That same open water was there last year also.  Last year I stuck a couple of branches in the water.  I checked it over a week ago and it was frozen over solid.  Not sure what goes on there that close in to shore.  But like you mention to the readers....pay attention, and
be careful.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Nov 24, 2019, 02:36 PM »
I'll add my two cents from the sidelines. Last winter my success on walleye came in about 8 feet of water towards the end of the day. That happened one time. We returned to that spot a few more times hoping to replicate the experience and never even had a mark. Three years before that, the same area was fairly consistent for smaller walleye. Two years ago NADA.

I think you just need to do as has been suggested and work the areas of the lake that have potential and make a catalogue of previously successful spots to try. Some folks on here have obviously spent a lot more time than the rest of us doing exactly that.

Don't be afraid to say "what the hell", and try something entirely new. I did that last December and drilled where nobody else had been yet. My gamble resulted in some of the biggest, most aggressive perch I've ever caught. A few pike, no walleye, but the perch were so much fun even my daughter in law who is a tough girl to impress said "I could get into this!"

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Nov 25, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Last week when we were driving around after fishing for the day, we checked out the far North entrance
to the lake.  There is the big ice heave there again this year.  You won't be able to drive on as it is right across
the entrance.  Last year we were able to angle off to the far North side and get past the heave.  This year it
won't allow us to get past it.

If we get lot's of snow (especially if it gets blown in with snow), you might not be able to see the heave and
get a sudden stop on get hung up going over the heave (it looks bigger this year then last year).  So be careful when
trying to drive on at that end.

With a couple of sledge hammers and chain saw will make it passable. 

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Nov 25, 2019, 09:16 PM »
That will really be something to watch for!

Nobody has driven into the lake on the rocks at pelican point yet either! The ice at the tip of the gravel pit peninsula eats pickups.  Be careful and you need to see it Google box it.

gman51

« Reply #67 on: Nov 26, 2019, 06:54 AM »
almost ate a quad last Saturday came ripping by us and was headed into the bay. there was actually 2 open water areas there he missed. not sure if he knew about them or just lucky.

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Nov 26, 2019, 06:44 PM »
I'm sure it's lucky, glad it worked out for them!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Nov 26, 2019, 08:56 PM »
Was out today fishing South of the boat launches in the same area as the last 2 times.  Started at 12:45 until 5:30.  Again, lot's of perch (4 jumbos),
2 decent 5 lb Pike and 1 small Walleye. The Pike and Walleye went back.   Those Pike worked their way out into the deep water looking for those perch I guess.  They sure scare the perch away when they move in.  After each Pike it was a good 1/2 hour before the perch moved back in.

Was a great afternoon, no wind.

There is a good 9 inches.  Another week and I think we should be able to drive on.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Nov 27, 2019, 02:15 PM »
Hello again for another season

I hope to provide more information this year then asking for it.. But I do have a question..

I am Planning to head out to Blackstrap soon. I read there is open water a ways from shore and soft ice, is this still a problem?

Also- I have always wondered, does a guy have to avoid pump houses for moving water at all?

gman51

« Reply #71 on: Nov 27, 2019, 02:48 PM »
No problems with the ice conditions there are or were some with the warm temps and wind over the last week or so.  First ice, January, or March still should pay attention to conditions on any lake. don’t take anyone’s word on ice conditions things change fast....Anyway was out north of the causeway yesterday afternoon bite was slow marks were plentiful pulled up 6 walleyes all small 8-9” and 1 keeper. 18” great afternoon.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Nov 27, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Is the causway bridge still open, or have they started work on it yet? Shawno and I are going to get out for the first time this season on the weekend.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Nov 27, 2019, 05:41 PM »
The road is wide open.  The tender ends in March, and I heard if the bidding is to high they might not even award the job.  So we should be good into March for sure.

Offline Majic_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Nov 27, 2019, 06:11 PM »
Was out today from 11-4. Bite was good till bout 1pm. Then slowed right down. Marked tons of fish but they didn’t like my offerings I guess. 15ish perch and a couple walleye. Sent everything back down the hole for another day.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Nov 27, 2019, 09:55 PM »
Went for sunset bite at the south dam. Walleyes did show up. The water level seems to be a few feet deeper than last year at three areas I tried so far.

Offline klem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Nov 28, 2019, 09:27 AM »
heading out this weekend with my son again he definitely caught the perch bug last season. hoping their still active.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Nov 28, 2019, 03:09 PM »
We made the mistake of going out for the morning bite vs the afternoon bite which was excellent the last 4 times out.  The wind forced us off
the lake.  Only fished 1 1/2 hours and only caught 3 perch and 3 pike.  The weather change and the pike in the area scared off the perch.

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Nov 29, 2019, 03:53 PM »
So Church are saying the afternoon bite is better than the morning bite?

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Nov 29, 2019, 05:50 PM »
Well it was only one morning VS 4 or 5 afternoon tries.  And yesterday's weather/pressure change etc, and short fishing time really wasn't a true
morning attempt. 

The fact that the Pike have moved in (in 24 fow), I would say the perch are still in the area.  This weekend should tell the story.

gman51

« Reply #80 on: Nov 30, 2019, 06:03 PM »
Another great day on the ice.. enjoying it with a couple buddies.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Nov 30, 2019, 08:00 PM »
Yes Rip, it was a very nice afternoon, not much wind.  Over 30 perch, one 19 inch Walleye and one small Pike.  Only kept 4 perch for supper.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Dec 01, 2019, 12:27 PM »
Shawno and I currently sitting in 18 fow.  Lots on camera but mostly windowshoppers. 

Atleast the whiskey is cold.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Dec 01, 2019, 02:03 PM »
Rip, do you have a good 11 inches of ice were you are fishing????

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 01, 2019, 02:46 PM »
Were on 9 inches right now

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Dec 01, 2019, 03:10 PM »
Thanks Jpicks.  North or South side?

Offline ryder29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 01, 2019, 06:29 PM »
Went out for a few hours this afternoon. Ended up with 3 perch and 1 pike. Felt so good to have a fish on the line again! I was in about 25’ I. Front of south boat launch. There was 10” of ice where I was. Tight lines everyone!
I'm just trying to get another bite.

Offline Majic_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Dec 01, 2019, 06:35 PM »
Was out for most of the day. Had a hard time finding the fish in the morning. Drilled more holes in the afternoon and finally found a spot where I was marking fish. Ended up with about 15 perch and a couple small walleye. All after 2pm. Kept 4 perch for supper. Might go out again tomorrow but maybe not so early this time.

Offline Majic_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Dec 01, 2019, 06:39 PM »
Oh and I ran into Cholo out there. Was nice to meet you. It’s kinda nice meeting people on this forum and putting faces to names.  Btw I didn’t end up using your hole but thanx!

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Dec 02, 2019, 03:56 PM »
Nice work majic, ya might of got the big walleye had ya fished the hole I drilled, lol. When ya heading out again?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.