Author Topic: Free depth map iPhone app?  (Read 2325 times)

Offline LimerickShaw

• IceShanty Rookie
Free depth map iPhone app?
« on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:58 PM »
I downloaded Navionics and it worked great and then my free trial expired. Was trying it last weekend and for some reason I couldn't get the depth to show up, it was just showing the body of water. Anyone have any luck or recommendations for free apps?

I'm sure that some are not 100% accurate but it'd be nice to have a point of reference and then sound out the hole to be more accurate.

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Free depth map iPhone app?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:24 PM »
15 bucks for navionics and you are good for life.  It's a bargain and a half

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:39 PM »
I downloaded Navionics and it worked great and then my free trial expired. Was trying it last weekend and for some reason I couldn't get the depth to show up, it was just showing the body of water. Anyone have any luck or recommendations for free apps?

I'm sure that some are not 100% accurate but it'd be nice to have a point of reference and then sound out the hole to be more accurate.

I agree that navionics is worth the one time investment. Was this a new lake that you couldn't see depth for? The coverage is pretty good for all medium to large lakes in my area but I just found one large reservoir with no contours, just displays the outline of the lake.

Offline LimerickShaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:56 PM »
I agree that navionics is worth the one time investment. Was this a new lake that you couldn't see depth for? The coverage is pretty good for all medium to large lakes in my area but I just found one large reservoir with no contours, just displays the outline of the lake.

Paying up it is then!

Offline KRASHED

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2019, 10:03 PM »
Navionics is $33 a year for their newest app, is their an older one that has a one time $15 payment that I am missing?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2019, 10:54 PM »
Navionics boating USA HD is $15. They also have US/canada, and a few other ones/countries that cost more.. but I dont see any at $33 a year.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline LimerickShaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2019, 07:02 AM »
Navionics is $33 a year for their newest app, is their an older one that has a one time $15 payment that I am missing?

I didn't see a $33 one. I downloaded the Navionics 'Boating' app as it was $15. I think there is a US/Canada one that is $25. I've never seen an app in the app store that costs you a yearly subscription fee but maybe I'm wrong.

Offline frozen eyelet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:07 AM »
Agree on the purchase.  I was being a tight ass and didn't have it after my trail ran out.
This is some of the best money I have spent on ice fishing. It's a must when traveling to new lakes.
Have LiveScope, will Travel.....

Offline smokey66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2019, 12:41 PM »
I didn't see a $33 one. I downloaded the Navionics 'Boating' app as it was $15. I think there is a US/Canada one that is $25. I've never seen an app in the app store that costs you a yearly subscription fee but maybe I'm wrong.

There are definitely apps that are on a yearly subscription. Thankfully this Navionics app isn't like that.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2019, 01:40 PM »
Does navionics still do the yearly "fishing" upgrade? Maybe he is adding that cost to the app cost? I'm grandfathered in from an original purchase so I get all the features on android, but I think on my iphone I had to buy a yearly sub to unlock all the features.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2019, 01:53 PM »
I suggest that you spend little money on a one year subscription and upload all base maps to any device you're planing to use.  I have it uploaded to my cell phone and tablet. 
All coastal  waters and inland lakes are available for download.
Good reference too.  Accuracy is totally different matter.  I combined external GPS unit with my tablet and it was not even close.  A bit disappointing when looking for underwater structure
J

Offline Doppler2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2019, 03:58 AM »
http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com

Not as accurate or inclusive as navionics, but then again a navionics isnt always 100 spot on. Just have to do a little copy and pasting with google maps to find where you are or spots to check out. Navionics is easier to use and I recommend the purchase.

Offline marquette

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2019, 01:23 PM »
I just upgraded my navonics last week. $14.99 for the phone version. More for the tablet version.  My fishing partner has the tablet version for summer use in USA and Canada.  We always stop at the launch ramp and check location.  It it’s on then location is good on the lake.  If it’s off by a few yards we know we have to compensate out on the lake.   

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:45 PM »
I just purchased the navionics app last week, and went to a lake far off the beaten path, thinking it would work. My phone had ‘no service’, and nothing but my camera worked. I guess you need to be within cell phone range?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2019, 11:17 PM »
I just purchased the navionics app last week, and went to a lake far off the beaten path, thinking it would work. My phone had ‘no service’, and nothing but my camera worked. I guess you need to be within cell phone range?

Nope. The maps should be downloaded to your phone so you can see them without any service (you likely wont get gps without cell service). The nothing but your camera working sounds like a phone issue, not an app issue. What phone do you have?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2019, 11:24 PM »
Nope. The maps should be downloaded to your phone so you can see them without any service (you likely wont get gps without cell service). The nothing but your camera working sounds like a phone issue, not an app issue. What phone do you have?
Apple SE.  I was hoping I could see where exactly on the ice I was standing. No bars, no service, no GPS.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2019, 11:29 PM »
Not sure on that one, my old iphone 5s worked fine (still does, use it every day as a close zoom camera and to upload and edit pics on wifi) without a sim card and thus no service. Just pulled up navionics on it right now and it works fine.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:57 PM »
Yep.
Thought I'd give the app a try it's a great app as long as you got cell phone service which in my part of the country is spotty at best for where we fish.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:52 PM »
Apple SE.  I was hoping I could see where exactly on the ice I was standing. No bars, no service, no GPS.
You can with Navionics. You just need to download the maps to your phone.

Incorrect. You still get GPS without cell service because the phone uses the GPS transmitter. That's why Navionics works with no cell service if you download the maps.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:43 PM »
Iphones dont have a very accurate GPS, so dont get discouraged.
They also need signal to work.
Thats one of the many reasons I made the jump to a Samsung/android.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2019, 05:06 PM »
Iphones dont have a very accurate GPS, so dont get discouraged.
They also need signal to work.
Thats one of the many reasons I made the jump to a Samsung/android.

Iphone 5s, no service (no sim)

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2019, 05:48 PM »
The first 2 years with Navionics I paid $9.99 for USA only.  Last month I had to renew and it was a new App called Boating USA or something and it was $15 USA, they have a US and Canada version for like $25 or $30.

Are you telling me that if I download all the maps for the areas I fish I won't need to pay the fee next year?  Because mine is an annual fee.  Not sure where you guys are getting the Lifetime prices.

I have some maps downloaded but never tried them without my subscription, plus they made me use the new App. So not sure the maps went have went over...
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2019, 06:28 PM »
The first 2 years with Navionics I paid $9.99 for USA only.  Last month I had to renew and it was a new App called Boating USA or something and it was $15 USA, they have a US and Canada version for like $25 or $30.

Are you telling me that if I download all the maps for the areas I fish I won't need to pay the fee next year?  Because mine is an annual fee.  Not sure where you guys are getting the Lifetime prices.

I have some maps downloaded but never tried them without my subscription, plus they made me use the new App. So not sure the maps went have went over...

If you download the maps (its in the settings within the app) you will have those maps for life. I download all of the areas I typically fish, Iowa, MN, and western IL. They will however no longer be updated after your subscription runs out, but you will still have them. The subscription (navionics+ I think its called) does daily updates to maps and allows you to use the depth shading and shallow water shading and all of those "premium" features.

If you bought navionics back before this premium stuff came out, it was a $10 fee for the app for life. Thus if you bought it back then, you are grandfathered in and get free navionics+ for life. I have that on my android but my iphone I have to pay for the premium if I want it. 
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.