The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: older Jiffy pulls the rope away  (Read 3775 times)

Offline oldfisher68

• Team IceShanty Regular
older Jiffy pulls the rope away
« on: Nov 26, 2013, 06:07 PM »
I have an old model 30 jiffy auger. When I pull the started rope, the motor almost starts and rips the starter rope out my hand and raps my knuckles. I was wondering if this is common or a problem with most. I have wear heavy gloves, so I don't get sore knuckles. I think it is a motor kick back, like a crank on an old Model A Ford. Is their a cure for this knuckle buster?

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: older Jiffy pulls the rope away
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2013, 07:07 PM »
try using a snowmobile handle on the rope it gives you way more grip then just between 2 fingers,my 30 used to do it to

Offline oldfisher68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2013, 07:12 AM »
Thanks for the snowmobile handle tip. I'll try that and I probably should put a new rope on also.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2013, 07:20 AM »
It's possible the PO cut the rope shorter or it broke off and he tied it shorter.
<===Lefty===

Offline oldfisher68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2013, 07:35 AM »
I bought it new, back in the 90's. The only thing I've done to it was sparkplug and adjust the carb. I'm a short guy, so maybe I don't pull the rope far enough. It could use a new rope and handle, but I'm not mechanical.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2013, 02:08 PM »
Just make sure you pull the rope out until the rope starts to get tight slowly and once the slack is out pull from there to start it. I'm sure you knew this but I thought I might remind you of it. I loose memory fast. Now where are those darn memory pills?
<===Lefty===

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2013, 02:46 PM »
Note to '68.  I bought a J30 back in '83 and have had the starter rope break twice, always right at the knot on the inside.  Repair is not difficult to do; I even did it out on the ice once.  The recoil starter is held on with 4 screws. Remove these and it will come right off.  You will see the knot left behind at the core of the take up spool.  Remove it.  Then you must wind up the take up spool about 10 full turns against the spring and hold it that way by inserting a screw driver etc.  Thread the rope back in through the outside  hole and into the core.  Tie a figure eight knot where the old one was.  Release the wind up spring by removing the screw driver and make sure the entire rope coils up inside under significant tension.  If it doesn't all go in, or it does but just barely,  Repeat this procedure but put a couple more full turns of "wind up" on the take up spool spring before re-attaching the pull rope. Re-attach the starter to the motor with the 4 screws and you're good to go.  The rope will only be shortened by about two inches.  I have also done this exercise with a Strikemaster auger (both with 3hp Tecumseh) and a TroyBilt roto tiller.  With the TroyBilt I had to drill a small hole in the top of the housing to insert the screw driver.  That engine was an 8hp Kohler.  :)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2013, 02:50 PM »
Note to frigidaire: Love your "handle".  ;D  Brings back memories of my Dad's appliance store.
Back to topic!!!!!  Knowledgeable reply.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2013, 04:18 PM »
Note to frigidaire: Love your "handle".  ;D  Brings back memories of my Dad's appliance store.
Back to topic!!!!!  Knowledgeable reply.
You might like what my Post Master has in his store. A big very old Frigidaire Sign. He also has Amana and some others. He has a Store/Post Office/Farm supplies/Gas station all in one in the Town of Lazear. Population 60.
<===Lefty===

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2013, 04:37 PM »
I've got an ancient rototiller w/ a 4.5 hp Briggs scavenged from another old lawnmower sittin' on the curb............did the same thing. I also had a lot of trouble with the rope breaking, getting stuck in the housing ad irritatum....... Pulling, cleaning and lubing the the recoil clutch has helped. Once the recoil/shroud is off, there is a square shaft that has a cover at the base. Remove the screws, pop the cover, clean and lube.

Of course, that's for a Briggs. I'm not sure what arrangement Tecumseh has, but I'll bet my best tungsten jig that someone here does.....

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Doitnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2013, 04:52 PM »
Clean the flywheel, might have rust on it and/or back the coil off some. It might be firing to soon.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2013, 05:58 AM »
May want to check shearpin on flywheel. Have seen these getting ready to shear and throw engine out of time. May be time for a complete tune up. points condenser and plug. As points wear it changes the dwell on engine causing kickback like you are describing,   Steve

Offline oldfisher68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2013, 06:15 AM »
Thanks for all the help. It looks like I will need to find a small engine mechanic.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2013, 06:59 AM »
Give some thought to updating and save that one for story time.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2013, 07:00 AM »
May want to check shearpin on flywheel. Have seen these getting ready to shear and throw engine out of time. May be time for a complete tune up. points condenser and plug. As points wear it changes the dwell on engine causing kickback like you are describing,   Steve
yep the shear pin could be cracked.ive had several lawnmowers and engines that pull the rope right out of my hands violently when this happens.it throws them off time.kind of acts like kickback on a motorcycle kick starter except with the recoil.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2013, 07:36 AM »
Don't retire that old girl. Tune up kit is cheap and easy to install. Or take her to a good shop and they can do it for less than 50 bucks total. You will not find a new auger that is any better than what you have. She may be heavy but built like a tank and best of all she is made in U.S.A  when we still took pride in our work.  Steve

Offline oldfisher68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2013, 08:02 AM »
I won't retire the old auger. She's too reliable. I will take it over to a small engine shop Monday.
Thanks again for the help.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2013, 09:56 AM »
Sounds like she has my problem; out of time.  ;D Time for those new points and a complete tune-up, they're cheap and easy to do. Give ya another 30 years out of it.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline trkyhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2013, 10:50 AM »
possibly timing depending on use. Tecumsahs have an adjustable stater plate to adjust timing. need a dial indicator and continuity tester to set. I forget what the exact # is but I want to say .018 before tdc. thats when you want the points to break contact. Make sure magnet and coil are free of rust to make a good magnetic field.
Yes Virginia....Santa does ice fish

Offline BOOBSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2013, 07:14 PM »
let go of the rope  ;D

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2013, 07:19 PM »
This is where I'd start. It will cost all of about 38 cents....
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.