The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: New Nils power auger from Red Rock Store  (Read 2153 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
New Nils power auger from Red Rock Store
« on: Nov 18, 2011, 06:49 PM »
 I pre ordered a new Nils 8" power auger from the Red Rock Store. I got the auger yesterday and tried to put the power head on the auger. The clpg between the power head and auger is not made correct.  The clpg is drilled and tapped to big for the power head shaft. The clpg will slide right over the threaded shaft. So check your clpg if you just got a new auger. Its better to find out now than when your ready to use it. I contacted Nilsmaster and talked to J.P. and he hasn't had any other calls so maybe I'm just lucky! ( Would be my luck!) Let me know if anybody else has this problem.
  Thanks
  Matt

Offline nove

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Nils power auger from Red Rock Store
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:18 PM »
Hi Matt,
I took delivery from Reeds a few weeks ago of the same 8" with Tanaka powerhead and all fit together great. The phone support from Nils was great to me while I was in the pre-buy stage
Are they sending the correct coupler out to you(I'm sure they are).
Let us know the outcome.

Ps. My powerhead started on the 4th pull new out of the box after filling with fuel. It starts now on the 1st pull everytime with 2 pumps on the primer and choke on full.  :)
I can't wait for our first ice.
Good luck

nove

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:29 PM »
i received mine a couple weeks ago from redrock. i put it together and everything went well. haven't put any gas in yet but i have no doubt it will run.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:16 PM »
Nils is sending me a new clpg. I just wanted to give a heads up just incase someone hadn't checked theres yet.
 Matt

Offline QTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2011, 08:48 AM »
Thanks Matt, wish I was this lucky playing Lotto......
Proud parent of a 19 lb, 42" 8"Nils power auger from Redrock and the coupler was to small - fits my
6"Nils Hand auger. I will contact Redrock &/or Nils Monday.

The Shanty is great, allot of good infomration from some good people, I'd rather check in here
than my e-mail. Debated purchasing power auger since last year, after a couple years w/ the Nils 6" hand. Read up on
alot of great info and it came down Jiffy Propane vs Nils. Went w/ Nils because: 17-19lbs vs 35-38lbs, I could always
swap with my 6" auger.
Thanks again!!!!
Mike
[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2n1c5jc.png[\img]

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2011, 01:46 PM »
 Glad this gave you a heads up. My clpg was drilled and tapped bigger than the shaft is on my power head shaft. I will have to try it on the auger. I didn't get that far. I tried it on the shaft of the power head and found a problem so stopped there. The Red Rock store was very helpful and J P also was very helpful. He will ask for you to write them a email at- [email protected] and give them the problem and your contact info. I got a email back the same day I sent my email off. It was generic response email but at least I know they got it. I also got the 42" auger. Here in IL. we don't ever really need the 48" auger. Its just more weight to haul around.
 Matt

Thanks Matt, wish I was this lucky playing Lotto......
Proud parent of a 19 lb, 42" 8"Nils power auger from Redrock and the coupler was to small - fits my
6"Nils Hand auger. I will contact Redrock &/or Nils Monday.

The Shanty is great, allot of good infomration from some good people, I'd rather check in here
than my e-mail. Debated purchasing power auger since last year, after a couple years w/ the Nils 6" hand. Read up on
alot of great info and it came down Jiffy Propane vs Nils. Went w/ Nils because: 17-19lbs vs 35-38lbs, I could always
swap with my 6" auger.
Thanks again!!!!
Mike

Offline QTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2011, 05:55 PM »
Matt-
I had (2) issues: clpg not sliding onto auger and also being tapped to large .
Redrock & JP were very helpful. Sent pictures per JP's request and new clpg is in the mail.
The new clpg should fit the power head, but the auger may have to be swapped out if clpg doesn't slide
on - Possible defect in thickness. They have been very helpful and very quick w/ responses.
Happy Turkey Day!!!
[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2n1c5jc.png[\img]

Offline captstevepc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2011, 06:33 PM »
i just got a new nils power auger myself with the 42 inch bit and the tanaka head.. it seems like everything fit together fine for me but i do have a question are you suppose to have play betweent he power head and the bit? Like there is definitly some wobble for me is that normal?  Also does anyone have recommendations on breaking in the motor? is it just start and go or is there a break in method? I didnt get a whole lot of instruction with mine..

Offline captstevepc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2011, 06:56 PM »
i think i just figured out the wobble i just didnt have the allen bolt tight enough in the adapter... shes all tight now... Let me know if anyone has any recommendatoins on breaking in the motor..

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2011, 07:01 PM »
Theres a little play in the coupler, no biggie, make sure you tighten the screw good and tight as well as the nut and then wrap it all in black tape....Break in, this is what JP from Nils tolds me on mine for AmsOil Saber Pro.. 50:1 mix...fill tank, start motor without bit attached, let run revving it every 10-15 minutes while cycleing the choke on and off, when tanks empty refill with same 50:1 mix after that tank your good to run up to 100:1, I run mine around 80:1....If your running dyno oil it may be different, haven't ran dyno oil in near 20 years so can't tell you on that...

Offline captstevepc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2011, 07:32 PM »
thanks for the info.. I did tighten it and it is all set now... 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.