The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Older Jiffy model 30 fuel issue  (Read 4923 times)

Offline anonamus

• IceShanty Rookie
Older Jiffy model 30 fuel issue
« on: Dec 20, 2009, 05:18 PM »
 I recently bought an older model 30 Jiffy (1982) 9 inch cut auger. The thing will start up and run great but, but while cutting it will cut thru 6 or 7 inches of ice and then just run out of fuel, I can let off the throttle and let it idle for a bit and then start cutting again only to have it die out again after it cuts a few inches. What would be the trouble??  Thanks for any and all replies..

Mike

Offline FloatinWoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Older Jiffy model 30 fuel issue
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2009, 05:30 PM »
Gotta clean the carb dude.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2009, 06:31 PM »
Cleaning the carb won't hurt, but its most likely the high idle (the right/outside) screw on carb, needs to be adjusted.  This is very common with jiffys.  If that don't work you likely need a carb kit as the diaphram is likely shot.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2009, 06:36 PM »
I recently bought an older model 30 Jiffy (1982) 9 inch cut auger. The thing will start up and run great but, but while cutting it will cut thru 6 or 7 inches of ice and then just run out of fuel, I can let off the throttle and let it idle for a bit and then start cutting again only to have it die out again after it cuts a few inches. What would be the trouble??  Thanks for any and all replies..

Mike
Check the gas cap and be sure the little vent screw on top is actually providing adequate vent when it's open.  I had this problem a couple of times.  Buy a new cap (plastic) they are great and they do not leak.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2009, 07:11 PM »
While some already brought up this ?, I was wondering if anyone knows how to take the carb apart.

I already replaced the needle + seat and diaphram, replaced the spark plug, and tuned both low and high idle, but my auger will run for about 3 seconds (while cutting), then act like its going to quit, if i prime it, I can go for 3 or 4 more seconds. Last year it ran like a champ, started first pull, and ran perfrect both idle, and during cutting. So i imagine I need to clean it.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2009, 07:14 PM »
If it starts and runs great and then dies as you explained, the fuel inlet or fuel filter is plugged.

Mike
Bruster

Offline FloatinWoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2009, 06:33 AM »
If it starts and runs great and then dies as you explained, the fuel inlet or fuel filter is plugged.

I think there is a small rubber diaphram in those carbs that as they age, they get a pinhole or tear in them. That would cause the symptoms you describe.

Offline anonamus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2009, 07:16 AM »
Check the gas cap and be sure the little vent screw on top is actually providing adequate vent when it's open.  I had this problem a couple of times.  Buy a new cap (plastic) they are great and they do not leak.
I also noticed that when it is running gas will kind of squirt out of the gas cap vent. Would this be  a sign of a bad diaphram or just a bad cap?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:22 AM »
I also noticed that when it is running gas will kind of squirt out of the gas cap vent. Would this be  a sign of a bad diaphram or just a bad cap?
With the new plastic cap, I do not get any gasoline spillage.
Pretty soon my Gator will be here and then the gasoline can stay at home.  ;D

Offline Crazy-Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2009, 12:32 PM »
Most of the stuff was covered ,But,if the primer tube going to the carb, if it has a air leak.it will do that plus, it's running REAL lean,and it's not good for the motor.If you re-built the card you should soak the diaphram in mix gas for about 10-15 mins before you install it.It's not good to install in dry.Spaying it with DW-40 works too.Closest screw to the motor should be 3/4 of a turn out,next one 1 1/2 half to start.Hope this helps.I have been working on them for years and These are a few things that work for me. :tipup:
If it was that easy,everyone would do it!

Offline anonamus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2009, 06:57 PM »
 thanks for all the helpful info. I have a carb kit on order and hope to have it up and running better in a few days..
  Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.