Author Topic: Spring Bobbers... Yes/No  (Read 5507 times)

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spring Bobbers... Yes/No
« Reply #30 on: Oct 09, 2018, 08:52 PM »
Attached are four types of spring bobbers that I use on my rods. By far the most sensitive of the bunch are those that are made out of either lavsan or mylar. I buy these directly from Russia or the Ukraine and have them on all of my palm rods as well as jigging rods. At a correct load of around 45 degrees, these detect the smallest bites.
On some of my long rods, I fish with either a homemade Bic lighter spring bent at a 90 degree angle or a Lite Byte spring bobber.
When the fish prefer a more aggressive jigging style, I ditch the spring bobber poles and break out my 18-20 inch tightlining rods with a dropper fly. I have found that sometimes switching over to live bait and varying my jig cadence from a swimming to pounding one is all it takes to trigger more bites.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 10, 2018, 12:15 AM »
Awesome suggestions from so many people. Lots of varying opinions and many seem to be pretty strong opinions at that  :D It seems that as long as it is of some quality and practice is done to learn it, there are lots of spring bobbers, i dicators, noodle rods, and fishaholic toys that can really help with lite bites. To help alleviate some of the hardwater fever that I seem to catch everytime it gets cold outside, Im going to try some DIY wire indicators and spring bobbers. Ill try to remember to take pics or videos but i will definitely report on how they turn out and compare the results once the ice is thick enough. If the weather stays thjs way much longer and we will have a super early season in Montana.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #32 on: Oct 10, 2018, 01:50 AM »
I never was a fan of the traditional spring bobber. However, I love the titanium/nitinol bobbers.  I have several custom rods that I have made with them.  I don't like the clip on ones...they gotta be tied on.
]

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Oct 10, 2018, 06:41 AM »
While i use a Bic lighter spring on my long rods. I have to say Ice Strong Titanium Spring Bobbers are fantastic and priced right. I have them on my shorter rods. Up, Down, sideways bites are all detected with them on. https://fishicestrong.com/
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Oct 10, 2018, 06:43 AM »
Spring bobbers are 100% necessary. I can't remember how many times I've out-fished guys how used noodle rods or custom rods while I'm using a cheap rod with a spring bobber. It's not just about detecting the light bites, but it gives the lure a much better presentation in the water.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Oct 10, 2018, 07:34 AM »
Spring bobbers are 100% necessary. I can't remember how many times I've out-fished guys how used noodle rods or custom rods while I'm using a cheap rod with a spring bobber. It's not just about detecting the light bites, but it gives the lure a much better presentation in the water.

That's just simply not true. And I could even argue the exact opposite. Anytime wind is factoring into the presentation of a lure takes away from my control of a lure. Which is one of the issues with spring bobbers.
Da Pack!

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:46 AM »
I own and have used extensively both high quality noodle rods and high quality spring bobber rods.

Two years ago I decided to give the noodles a shot and bought both a TUCR PN and Bullwhip which will cover any panfish from 2" bluegill up to big jumbo perch. They are nice rods, no doubt about it, but neither are as sensitive or good at detecting bites as a well-made spring bobber. It's not debatable. Plus, if you live in an area where you could go from targeting light-biting bluegill with 3mm tungsten, to crappies with say a 5mm tungsten or small spoon, or perch with an even larger jig or spoon, no noodle rod is going to do all of that. They have a point where they are either over or under loaded and don't work as well. That problem is solved nicely by TUCR offering the PN and Bullwhip, but that's $230 worth of ice rods and 2 different set ups.

The absolute best combination in my opinion is a 30" St Croix Legend Black, medium light action, with both a light and medium spring bobber (they're interchangeable). With that combo you can fish anything from the tiniest panfish up to walleye, bass, and the accidental northern. Using the lightest spring I can easily load up a 3mm jig and still get it to move and indicate, and the medium spring will load up properly on larger tungsten and smaller spoons. For larger spoons and jigging raps I just either take the spring out of the grommet (on St. Croix rods they are built in, no screwing around with attaching it yourself), or leave it in and just fish through the tip eyelet only. For $80 you have a rod that will easily fish any upper midwest species and do things that a noodle can't do near as well. No being under or over loaded because your noodle rod is to stiff or whippy, no messing around with crappy aftermarket springs that you have to epoxy or attach somehow, and no carrying multiple rigs.

Noodle rods work and there are some really nice ones out there. But, they are pretty narrow in what they can do and they definitely don't cover much of the lure spectrum between models.

I guess what I'm getting at is that high-end noodle rods are like $20 swim baits for bass fisherman or in-line reels for ice fisherman...they're a youtube-driven craze that everyone has to get in on and justify their high price tag by inventing non-existent benefits. :)  Again, they work, but not as well as other cheaper and simple options. If you like having high priced gear for the sake of high priced gear by all means do it...it's a free country and I'm a capitalist. But don't try to sell Arizona swamp land by telling people they're better at catching fish, lol.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:51 AM »
a true custom noodle rod can have a lighter tip than TUCR offers

Catchin' Fish

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:53 AM »
[quote author=KinnickResident link=topic=360532.msg3861794#msg3861794 date=153917917.

I guess what I'm getting at is that high-end noodle rods are like $20 swim baits for bass fisherman or in-line reels for ice fisherman...they're a youtube-driven craze that everyone has to get in on and justify their high price tag by inventing non-existent benefits. :)  Again, they work, but not as well as other cheaper and simple options. If you like having high priced gear for the sake of high priced gear by all means do it...it's a free country and I'm a capitalist. But don't try to sell Arizona swamp land by telling people they're better at catching fish, lol.
[/quote]
Cynical. Bitter. And right on the money.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #39 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:58 AM »
I stand with this guy - KinnickResident. He basically went into the details that I did not in my post. I tried noodles, I tried spring bobbers. The bobbers were a clear winner for me in the same hole with crappie and blue gills. White perch as well with their crazy strikes. For me and in my opinion with my past experiences, noodles cannot outperform a high quality spring bobber. If a noddle works for you, I wont hate, use it and enjoy it. They just are not for me and my targeted species.
Just add water.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:58 AM »
a true custom noodle rod can have a lighter tip than TUCR offers
And that lighter custom noodle tip won't fish a large tungsten or small spoon.

You have to buy another $110 rod and carry another rig for that.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Oct 10, 2018, 09:26 AM »
And that lighter custom noodle tip won't fish a large tungsten or small spoon.

If you're looking for a rod to fish all species then no one will argue with you that a custom noodle is not the way to go. Everyone chiming in has used both noodles and spring bobbers, and it clearly comes down to preference as I would disagree with just about every opinion in your last post. Doesn't make you or I wrong, just personal preference (same with the inline reels).

I don't even consider TUCR as a custom rod company, they are nothing more than a high end rod off the shelf that had its name made by IDO. My Ace naked noodle has a more sensitive tip than the TUCR PN and I'm actually having them make me one with an even more sensitive tip and longer transition into the backbone to fit my fishing style since I rarely use anything over a 4mm and I don't care for that strong of a backbone. 

Is a noodle tip as sensitive as a wire spring bobber? No. Does that make a spring bobber better than a power noodle rod? No. Can you detect an equal amount of bites between the two? Yes, unless it is windy, then the noodle wins every time. Can a spring bobber turn your average pole into something comparable to a power noodle? Yes. Is a spring bobber better than a noodle rod? Personal preference.
Da Pack!

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Oct 10, 2018, 09:53 AM »

Is a noodle tip as sensitive as a wire spring bobber? No. Does that make a spring bobber better than a power noodle rod? No. Can you detect an equal amount of bites between the two? Yes, unless it is windy, then the noodle wins every time. Can a spring bobber turn your average pole into something comparable to a power noodle? Yes. Is a spring bobber better than a noodle rod? Personal preference.

Pretty much just summed up this entire thread :)
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Oct 10, 2018, 10:09 AM »
I just skimmed through the replies but I did not see any mention of the Thorne Bros spring bobbers. I just bought a few last year at the end of the season and am looking forward to using them on my pan poles. Anyone use the Thorne Bros?
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Oct 10, 2018, 10:49 AM »
i'm sure this is just echoing some one elses comments but here goes :

spring bobbers and noodle rods have their place. 

spring bobbers : i use when the bite is very light.  For me the st croix style is the way to go.  but any straight line wire indicator will work with their various attachment methods.    for the best results you want a good stiff tip/rod.  and as someone said,  you can put an indicator on a stick and be a fish catching machine. 

noodle rods: not as sensitive obviously but the difference for me is ever so slight.  a good high end blank has no problem detecting even fish breathing on the bait.  that said, the advantages for me is less tangling as you have at times with indicators.  wind doesn't affect them as much, and the number one reason is much more jigging control.   a good spring bobber that is sensitive enough reacts to a jigging motion.  you don't get the up down motion twitch, you get more of a sweeping motion. 

In the end its all about preference.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Oct 10, 2018, 04:09 PM »
As I kind of mentioned on an earlier comment, I think the indicators are the best option for putting a minnow down and keeping it there at one depth.  It lets you see slight variations in the movement of the minnow, like when it gets nervous due to a predator being near.  Also, you see the up-bites you often get with crappies.

That said, 90% of the time I use a micro noodle rod for my jigging and hole hopping type fishing.

I do think that some days an indicator is pretty essential.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #46 on: Oct 10, 2018, 05:18 PM »
Over my 50+ years of fishing, I have run the gambit from a rod blank on a 2X2 ,cork bobbers, 6# test line... Schooley rods/reels, foam bobbers...standard reels on 24" pannie rods and Thill type floats...to where I am today. 48" Heavy rods, micro and inline reels, 2-3# test lines, 3mm tungsten jigs and...titanium wires...the biggest improvement and investment I have made in terms of terminal tackle that increased my chances to hook more fish. It took me a few years to convert from floats to wires, but I was patient and persistent. I will never use anything else.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Oct 10, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Big lighter man,use a lot of different ones. I use one on most rods but I've been using the tickle stick for the last two years. I can honestly say I don't miss many hits.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #48 on: Oct 11, 2018, 07:56 AM »
I feel bad for OP...not only does he now have to spend 300.00 on custom noodle rods, but also has to spend 300.00 on spring bobbers.  Ice fishing is a hobby I guess.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Oct 11, 2018, 12:48 PM »
I feel bad for OP...not only does he now have to spend 300.00 on custom noodle rods, but also has to spend 300.00 on spring bobbers.  Ice fishing is a hobby I guess.
Ya I'd hope someone was going to talk me out of using the foam and spring bobber that I like to use so much but I guess I must have missed it, I fish out of a heated shanty so having them ice up isn't an issue

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Oct 11, 2018, 01:38 PM »
Ya I'd hope someone was going to talk me out of using the foam and spring bobber that I like to use so much but I guess I must have missed it, I fish out of a heated shanty so having them ice up isn't an issue

A handful of people did say they were not worth my time to get them and a bunch of others talked about them icing horribly if you're not in a heated shanty. it seemed most of the people were too busy debating if wire indicators were better than noodle rods for them to even think about the foam/spring combo.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #51 on: Oct 11, 2018, 01:45 PM »
I ditched foam bobbers years  ago,and have mostly ditched spring indicators  too.the prices on titanium indicators are pretty high considering I can get a ht ice blue rod for the same price.i now use rods with whip tips but backbone in the rest of the blank.i will use the frabill titanium on specks sometimes if its windy out.yeah I miss a few fish but I did with indicators too.i like the snitch and ice blues.no spring needed,up bites in a  shanty are easy to detect look for your line to coil or go slack.or I will sometimes put a small kink in my line and watch that to straighten out if gills are light biting that day.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Oct 11, 2018, 02:33 PM »
I ditched foam bobbers years  ago,and have mostly ditched spring indicators  too.the prices on titanium indicators are pretty high considering I can get a ht ice blue rod for the same price.i now use rods with whip tips but backbone in the rest of the blank.i will use the frabill titanium on specks sometimes if its windy out.yeah I miss a few fish but I did with indicators too.i like the snitch and ice blues.no spring needed,up bites in a  shanty are easy to detect look for your line to coil or go slack.or I will sometimes put a small kink in my line and watch that to straighten out if gills are light biting that day.

Exactly... pinch a kink in the line with your fingers, simple and free...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Oct 11, 2018, 04:46 PM »
Exactly... pinch a kink in the line with your fingers, simple and free...
excellent tip!! The more you know!

Online FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Oct 11, 2018, 07:18 PM »
I've tried noodle rods and spring bobbers, but for my money I'll stick with a Venom adjustable float.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Oct 11, 2018, 07:30 PM »
I'll use venoms if I'm not holding the rod. Otherwise noodle for me, a couple good ones and you can fish anything. If you build your own they're pretty dam cheap

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Oct 12, 2018, 05:19 AM »
just a small tip to those who want to experiment with making your own spring bobbers. go to wallyworld or any craft store ,n, get a pair or two of round nose pliers. no teeth to   scar wire where you make the eye, especialy inside. lost several fish on one ,n, finally looked at it under a magnify,n, saw a burr that was prolly cutting my line. couldn,t feel or seeit, but there it was. wire

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #57 on: Oct 12, 2018, 10:27 AM »
you don't know what your missing if you can't tell your missing them.
neutral bites are a super tough read no matter what rod or indicator you may be using. i'll take any advantage i can for this type of bite, any thing else is much easier to know.

i used quite a few types from springs to wires, including building my own from guitar wires that just kink. so far the only ones i use now is frabill titanium wires. look for deals on them use camelcamelcamel and tell it to watch for deals for you. i bought a bunch of them for 3$ each. i pair it with 13 fishing wicked rod in 19ul. good enough to go for me. i carry six of them. one is a 24" for spoons with a quick loc tied on.

so yes is my answer to your question.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #58 on: Oct 12, 2018, 12:31 PM »
I'm just curious if I am the only person here who has tried the different jig weight sizes of the Marmish spring bobbers? I tried the frabil titanium and did not like it. The one size fits all is not as good.
The marmish are only $4.50 each. I like the #2, and #3.
1 / 16 ounces = 1.77 grams

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Oct 12, 2018, 04:02 PM »
you don't know what your missing if you can't tell your missing them.

Exactly.  You don't know what you don't know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.