Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: 3 mile report  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Kolby

• IceShanty Rookie
3 mile report
« on: Jan 26, 2005, 08:19 PM »
Well, the eyes are coming but very slowly (for me anyways).  Averaging 2 or 3 in a 5 to 6 hour day.  ALL fish are being caught on the first drop down a hole, the spoon hits bottom, I real it up about 3 or 4 inches, hold it steady and thump.  My schedule and kids prevent me from fishing the witching hours.  If I could, I'm sure those rates would go up.  Picking up fish in the thickest timber and brush you can find with deep water nearby.  Largemouths were on fire today, caught about a dozen and lost a few more.  Caught 1 huge crappie and some little 7 inchers.  Swedish pimples - red flapper, untipped, buckshot spoons tipped with a head or tail. - I'm afraid to drop my multi-hooked swimming lures down in that brush, so haven't given them a fair go.  What's happening everywhere else???

eyehntr

Re: 3 mile report
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2005, 08:00 AM »
Creo, anywhere more specific? I am heading down to mt. ayr this weekend to fish a bunch of private ponds and may have to head up to 3-mile if the bite is still good. I have one spot I go to all the time but any more info would be nice. Thanks.

Offline Kolby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2005, 09:23 PM »
Sure, stop in at BJ's bait in Afton talk to him and get a map.  He always has some good advice.  See the big cove on the South end of the dam, by the fishing jetty.  Go to the timber in that cove.  You can pick up a few eyes on the edges of that timber.  You'll also get some craps, bass, and bluegill.  There are an absolute TON of fish back in there, don't be afraid to go way back in the cove, you've still got 25 feet of water way back in there.  I've been drilling about 30 holes scattered all over the area and marking and catching fish in every hole.  also there's an old roadbed that comes through there, This is a good place for a tip up while you probe the timber.  Like I said some eyes have been caught right on the bottom, but a few have been suspend, especially where you have thicker limbs.  Bring a good flasher and keep the gain turned down low so you can tell your lure and fish from branches.  The further I got back into the cove the more big bass I caught, and 1 monster crappie about 14" - that thing didn't look right.  Let me know how you do.

eyehntr

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2005, 08:12 AM »
Thanks for the info. i will be fishing sat and sun. will post on mon the results.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.