New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: barometric pressure  (Read 12856 times)

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
barometric pressure
« on: Dec 18, 2009, 02:04 PM »
we all know that barometric pressure effects open water fishing
but does it effect ice fishing
we know air temperature changes the B.P
depth of the water changes the B.P
fresh or salt water changes the B.P
elevation changes it
does ICE ?????
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
Re: barometric pressure
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2009, 02:31 PM »
we all know that barometric pressure effects open water fishing
but does it effect ice fishing
we know air temperature changes the B.P
depth of the water changes the B.P
fresh or salt water changes the B.P
elevation changes it
does ICE ?????
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT

Yes, it affects everything.

I can usually tell you what the pressure is doing by the headache I have sometimes. 
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline fishinfurkarma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2009, 02:55 PM »
www.wunderground.com (weather underground) is a great resource for experementing with BP.  Just type in the city and state and when it page comes up there is a hyper link about 1/2 down the page that is called Weather History.  It plots the BP temp n a punch of other things and even gives text delimeted data file downloads.  I use it this fall to try to corrolate BP and weather conditions with when the fish were active in the Mohawk this fall... didn't see any great trends tho ???

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2009, 05:18 PM »
  I'm a big believer in Barometer, I like a steady mid range or slow rising Barometer!  Had good days with falling too. I just go when I can, but pay attention, as to how to fish for them under different Barometers!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2009, 05:24 PM »
http://www.weather.com/activities/recreation/outdoors/fishing/?from=secondarynav

i have posted this before. its from the weather channel. i dont know that its entirely correct but its interesting none the less. all you do is enter in the name of the lake you will be fishing or area and it predicts how the bite will be, at certain hours of the day. im assuming this is based off the pressure system. enjoy!

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:28 PM »
thanks bird
real great info, i will use it
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:32 PM »
Whatever todays pressure was, remember it, because they were on fire today     :)     Or maybe they were just hungry    :laugh:

dav
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2009, 09:01 PM »
PRESSURE: Effects fish....Most DEF.. I pay attention to the weather ALL the time. But nonetheless... If I can get out to go fishing... I AM THERE !!!  :woot: :clap: :clap: :woot:
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline IceFlagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trick'in & Kill'in
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2009, 06:28 PM »
I have the best luck with dropping pressure or periods of steady pressure , like 2-3 days of steady pressure. B.P. effects different bodies of water differently. As well as the depth of the ice.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2009, 08:52 PM »
http://www.weather.com/activities/recreation/outdoors/fishing/?from=secondarynav

i have posted this before. its from the weather channel. i dont know that its entirely correct but its interesting none the less. all you do is enter in the name of the lake you will be fishing or area and it predicts how the bite will be, at certain hours of the day. im assuming this is based off the pressure system. enjoy!

Their predictions may also be based on the SolarLunar tables (sun/moon) which are based on gravity changes caused by nearness of the moon to being overhead and the phase of the moon. Probably just something us old men thought about in the good old days!! I personally go by the adage "The best time to go fishing is when you got the time!!!" Cya...

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2009, 06:24 AM »
pretty sure the weather channel thing is based on the sonar lunar tables.  i have a watch that does that and it matches up with it most of the time.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2009, 02:29 PM »
yeah it may be based of that. ive never been able to figure out how the bite will be on any given day. not with out trying. i figure the only way to find out how the bite is, is to fish and find out. i would'nt not fish a day because the predictions say the fish won't bite. if ya know what i mean..lol

Offline stringer01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2009, 02:37 PM »
believe it does affect things but stuck with most go when i can and make the best of it

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2009, 05:54 PM »
yeah it may be based of that. ive never been able to figure out how the bite will be on any given day. not with out trying. i figure the only way to find out how the bite is, is to fish and find out. i would'nt not fish a day because the predictions say the fish won't bite. if ya know what i mean..lol

I may not have this 100% right but the moon takes about 25 hours to circumnavigate the earth. Basically this means that if you had a good bite at say 10 AM today, you may expect it to happen at 11 AM tomorrow all other things being equal (which they never are!!). But always go back to the premise "The best time to go fishing is when you got the time!!".  Cya.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.