Author Topic: Last Weekend off Catabwa  (Read 4643 times)

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Well Done is Better than Well Said"(Ben Franklin)
Last Weekend off Catabwa
« on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:47 PM »
Had a good day Saturday, my buddy had the Mojo for putting them on the ice. I iced eight I think.
My partner Rusty, got probably 20 through the hole.  I was using his rig at the end of the day and I lost a nice one so I think it was the rig not techniques.. Ha.   He would say otherwise.

I did however manage to ice this little dude.  13.2 lbs. 32 inches. Its already skinned and being worked up at the taxidermist.

I'm ready to go again, I hope it cools down again.

If you want to see this dandy check it out.

http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/leftydeadeye/media/LakeErie1-17-2015-2_zps17e124a7.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0#/user/leftydeadeye/media/LakeErie1-17-2015-2_zps17e124a7.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0&_suid=142171813658809913750520743801

http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/leftydeadeye/media/LakeErie1-17-2015_zpsaf8e8e0c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Offline ice-dogg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Last Weekend off Catabwa
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:56 PM »
What a pig!!!  Congrats.

Offline Border Jumper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Must be here someplace??
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2015, 08:05 PM »
 Hey leftydeadeye how about this.   URL=http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/leftydeadeye/media/LakeErie1-17-2015_zpsaf8e8e0c.jpg.html][/URL]                                                                                                                                                                                             

Offline Deep trouble

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Deepctrouble
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:13 AM »
Great fish.  Are you walking out  I never tried the ice out there  but would like to.  Thanks

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:12 PM »
Well, I have walked out 3 miles before, that is tough when its real cold. I use a quad anymore, but lots of guys walk.

Offline Deep trouble

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Deepctrouble
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2015, 05:55 PM »
Yeah 3 miles is a bit much.   Retiring next year getting all my toys ready  I have fished there for years in a boat  soon I'll have time for some ice    We have some small lakes here in central pa  that have some eyes but tough to pick thru the ice 

Offline FishSandwich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:02 PM »
Nice fish

Offline jigginrap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:36 PM »
That is a slob!! I seriously want to ice fish Erie. We went this past summer and got a ton of perch, but the eyes weren't biting. I'd love to yank up a slob like that on a jig pole.

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:38 PM »
Thanks,

I am used to rack shrinkage on whitetails, but oddly enough, this fish seemed to get bigger every time I looked at it.
It was heavy for sure, but when we accually weighed and measured is when I truly realized "Man thats a Dandy"

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:46 PM »
Hey Deep Trouble,

I don't walk out much anymore, but many people do. I used to and would still if the ice conditions wouldn't allow my machines.

When you have 5 inches of snow or more you will get a work out pulling a sled. Then you might get cold. I've have that happen. Usually you can walk and dodge the drifts some. Right now there isn't much snow on Ohio's western basis that I fish.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2015, 10:36 AM »
Hog daddy for sure! WTG...congratulations!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Sru75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2015, 12:32 PM »
That's a wall hanger for sure!

Offline spoggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:07 PM »
Hey leftydeadeye how about this.   URL=http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/leftydeadeye/media/LakeErie1-17-2015_zpsaf8e8e0c.jpg.html](Image removed from quote.)[/URL]                                                                                                                                                                                             

That sir, is a nice Feesh!

Steve

Offline Deep trouble

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Deepctrouble
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:43 AM »
Thanks leftydeadeye.  I have a polaris ranger but a little nervous about Erie.    if I can  talk a bud of mine into trying  I will be out.  Save me a couple hogs !

Offline gdlucyk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:48 AM »
I know lake erie pretty well, not when its frozen though...my buddy said crack blew open this morning where he was at. can anyone tell me whet this means for tomorrow where you have been...out from Catawba. looks like a hard NE wind

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:20 PM »
We fished out of Catawba today out to a hair shy of 6 miles.  Then we moved around a good bit, everything we ran into was in pretty good shape. 

Offline rutnut245

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:17 PM »
I know lake erie pretty well, not when its frozen though...my buddy said crack blew open this morning where he was at. can anyone tell me whet this means for tomorrow where you have been...out from Catawba. looks like a hard NE wind

The crack had closed up by the time we got off. You could easily drive around it when it was open.]

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:23 PM »
Went out for an evening round on Friday, the late bite didnt turn on very strong caught a couple shorts and a few white perch. Once it got dark things changed. I caught my 6 real quick, two would be around eight pounds.  I think a guy could have caught them all night long.

Offline toydevil48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:54 PM »
Do guys usually fish on the ice at night there? I know we do a lot of night fishing on the eastern end open water, heading over next weekend and was just curious to know if it's worth staying out after dark

Offline RTSJICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:17 AM »
I would like to know as well. We r coming out for the weekend. If the night bite is hot I would try it for a few hrs.

Roy

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2015, 04:49 PM »
Night fishing,
I did pass three shanties coming in last Friday that were lit up inside. So I suppose guys were fishing. I could see a few lit up spots on the lake, one of the was way the heck out there. That aside, I don't think many people fish it at night. It was kind of spooky, but the ride in was awesome.. It made you feel alive and was quite an experience.  I knew my way back but it was a long ride. Some people may think I am a fool, but that's ok.. I knew the ice was good and it was dead calm by then.  That was the best part.

Offline toydevil48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:33 PM »
Thanks, perhaps I'll give it a try, depends on how the fishing is during the day I guess

Offline RTSJICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:50 PM »
Lefty... U still heading out of Catawba or camp Perry?

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:53 PM »
I am still heading out from Catabwa, but  Camp Perry may be just as close. 

Offline toydevil48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:34 AM »
Hey guys, making the 4.5 hour drive to fish for the weekend tomorrow, does the strong nw wind shifting to sw  in the next few days worry guys? .....im unfamiliar with this end of the lake and would hate to drive all the way there to find out its not fish able.  Is it locked up enough to not have to worry about it...any advice would be appreciated

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2015, 03:20 PM »
I will be fishing on Saturday, yes the wind forecast is   S-SW 5-10 mph,, but I won't be the only one out there.  January 17 the wind was much worse and the same direction and less ice.

Here is a link to view the ice thickness of the Western basin 

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/ncast/eicethk-00.gif 

It shows the whole section west of the islands from Ohio to Michigan to the Ontario shore being frozen to an average of 20- 24 centimeters.  a little shy of 10 inches @ 24 cm.

This does not mean mother nature will not raise her ugly head though...   

With that disclaimer,,,, In my humble opinion I think things will be good.

My 2 cents

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2015, 09:26 PM »
Boy, I am getting spoiled, another weekend with big fish on the ice. Ive been putting those big femails back and filling out on Jacks. These fish are hungry. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck on the perch?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.